Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all. So I have a 2018 base trim with 80K on it. I’m an Uber driver lol. Anyway, I’ve been noticing recently that when I’m at a stop and accelerate, the car will jump almost like I’m stomping on the gas. Otherwise I have to slowly creep to get it going. I saw that there’s a recall for the fuel pump from March 2019 but when I checked my VIN it didn’t say there as anything active. I’m due for an oil change and I remember last time they mentioned having the crank casing cleaned out? I’m not much of a wrench, I’m more on the detailing side of knowledge. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey y’all. So I have a 2018 base trim with 80K on it. I’m an Uber driver lol. Anyway, I’ve been noticing recently that when I’m at a stop and accelerate, the car will jump almost like I’m stomping on the gas. Otherwise I have to slowly creep to get it going. I saw that there’s a recall for the fuel pump from March 2019 but when I checked my VIN it didn’t say there as anything active. I’m due for an oil change and I remember last time they mentioned having the crank casing cleaned out? I’m not much of a wrench, I’m more on the detailing side of knowledge. Any help is appreciated!
Is 80k too soon to be looking at the throttlebody/carbon buildup? Not sure, but have your dealer do the oil change so it’s there to investigate if that simple maintenance does not fix your issue. Have them test drive it after the oil change.

Do you really use an mdx for full time Ubering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is 80k too soon to be looking at the throttlebody/carbon buildup? Not sure, but have your dealer do the oil change so it’s there to investigate if that simple maintenance does not fix your issue. Have them test drive it after the oil change.

Do you really use an mdx for full time Ubering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good idea. Yeah, I use it full time. Gives me all the different tiers to drive. The horror stories you see on the mainland hardly ever happen in Hawaii. We’ve got a pretty solid car culture out here also, so when people see a shining black car pick them up they’re stoked on it. They don’t mess it up.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Aloha! 1st gear is really very short, meaning that it shifts out of first gear very quickly. If you tip into the throttle somewhat aggressively it will let you know about the 1-2 shift, probably the top complaint about the ZF9 is related to this unrefined gear change. It's so quick that it feels like the car falling on its face for a second.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. It feels like I’m learning to drive stick for the first time and the car damn near gives my girlfriend whiplash lol.

·
Registered
89 Posts
These cars have a "smart" transmission that learns your driving habits and slightly varies the shift points accordingly. I have not needed to do this yet but other owners have reset the ECU which resets the transmission control module. This will allow it to re-learn your driving style and may be able to solve your issue. Directions can be found in the thread below, post #17

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m also a full-time Uber/Lyft driver with a 2018 base SH-AWD MDX. It’s currently at 197,000 miles and I just had the timing belt/valve adjustment/spark plug service done for the first time. Belt was still in great condition but the tensioner was starting to fail. Spark plugs were somewhat worn out but not in terrible shape for that mileage. My front catalytic converter was clogged and had to be replaced. The issue you mentioned is something I’ve always experienced with my MDX from the first day I drove it off the lot. Now that I’ve gotten it back it shifts far better than it ever has. It stays in lower gears longer than it used to and no longer suffers from hesitation. They applied a bunch of software updates to my car as this was my first dealer visit so I suspect that one of them solved that problem for me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I’m also a full-time Uber/Lyft driver with a 2018 base SH-AWD MDX. It’s currently at 197,000 miles and I just had the timing belt/valve adjustment/spark plug service done for the first time. Belt was still in great condition but the tensioner was starting to fail. Spark plugs were somewhat worn out but not in terrible shape for that mileage. My front catalytic converter was clogged and had to be replaced. The issue you mentioned is something I’ve always experienced with my MDX from the first day I drove it off the lot. Now that I’ve gotten it back it shifts far better than it ever has. It stays in lower gears longer than it used to and no longer suffers from hesitation. They applied a bunch of software updates to my car as this was my first dealer visit so I suspect that one of them solved that problem for me.
WOW! That is awesome mileage. Please start and keep up with your own thread with your maintenance history/experiences. I’d love to hear at what mileage things start to wear out as you continue to pile more miles on.

What area are you in? Curious if those are mostly highway miles or city miles. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whatever you do, do not do crankcase flushes! It’ll ruin your engine. So long as you’ve been doing your oil changes at every MID interval your engine is in great shape, especially at your mileage. Mine is at 199,000 miles and still purring along. With regards to the shifting issue, go to your Acura dealer and have them do all the relevant TSB’s (technical service bulletins) for your car. This quick shifting characteristic of the ZF9 tranny in the 2018 MDX is a known issue according to the lead mechanic at my Acura dealership here in Los Angeles, once they serviced my car the crazy quick tranny shifting problem disappeared and the car shifts even better than when it was new! I used to hate the shifting hesitation it caused when you get stuck in a left turning queue of cars at a red light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts