Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been searching online as well as this forum for anyone who has attempted or has successfully replaced the airbag cover for the steering wheel airbag on a third gen MDX (mine is 2018). I haven't found much on anyone doing this so I'm wondering if the only option is to replace the entire airbag.

I had a nasty noticable scratch on the steering wheel airbag cover that happened from a fingernail. My eyes couldn't unsee the scratch everytime I glanced at my speedometer. I attempted to use the heat gun trick to soften the plastic and I used a texture pad to attempt to blend in the scratch. The scratch is gone now but the sheen of the area I heated is shiny and is driving me insane! I never realized I was so OCD about my MDX until took a heat gun to my steering wheel. Now I'm all in to get this back to original quality but am not that insane to pay $1000 which is what I assume it would cost to have a professional replace the airbag.

I found a site that sells the OEM airbag cover for only $75 which is worth it to me to pay, however since I'm not seeing much on replacing just the cover on the MDX, I don't know if this is an option. Can anyone help me out with any encouragement that this is possible? I understand the airbag needs to be removed, but if I take that plunge, can I remove the cover from the airbag to replace it and then reinstall the airbag without triggering any error codes?

Thank you much in advance!

· Super Moderator
2,374 Posts
I assume you are talking about 1MAutos for the airbag cover? I would suggest reaching out to them and find out if they have any instruction of replacing cover. The instruction I see so far is remove "AirBag along with cover as one piece" when replacing steering wheel.

Maybe check at junk yard and see if there is any available to purchase in one piece.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume you are talking about 1MAutos for the airbag cover? I would suggest reaching out to them and find out if they have any instruction of replacing cover. The instruction I see so far is remove "AirBag along with cover as one piece" when replacing steering wheel.

Maybe check at junk yard and see if there is any available to purchase in one piece.
Thanks for the response, JTM. You are correct that it is the 1MAutos airbag cover I was looking at. Didn't look much further since it appeared to be a good price. I sent them a message so I will update this forum once I hear back if there is an instruction. The junk yard might be a good option. Didn't think of that for an airbag, but may be worth a shot!

If anyone has any experience with swapping out the airbag cover in a MDX, I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks,
Kevin

· Registered
619 Posts
I'm sort of surprised you can really replace just the airbag cover without impacting the performance of the bag itself. I know that when our earlier Acuras had the Takata recall done, they replaced the inflator unit on the back of the airbag - that seem to be replacable. But at the time when they showed me an example at the dealer's service dept, the airbag and cover seemed to really be a single unit. Frankly the last thing I'd want is to have the airbag explode and the cover not open the right way and risk some wacky injury (beyond the normal impact of the airbag). Options I'd consider are to see if you could dye it or do something minorly cosmetic, or find a complete replacement from a donor car that's in good shape. But that's me... Good luck!

Reactions: kevnak

· Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,293 Posts
Go to an upholestry shop and have them wrap the air bag cover in leather. Nobody will ever know about that scratch.

· Registered
2017 MDX
211 Posts
Used airbags are <$400 on eBay and maybe you could resell your scratched one for $200?

If you are committed to replacing it, I’d take it off first and see if you can successfully separate the scratched cover. If successful then just order the replacement the cover.

· Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,293 Posts
What happens if the air bag goes off? You are joking,right?
logic has left the chat. It was a suggestion. I know a company or few that literally does this stuff. Alcantera or leather wrapped around the air bag cover. Might look great for looks, but when it goes off, idk how much damage would be done or if none.
Don't do this.
Nonetheless, its a suggestion; although a poor choice suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,348 Posts
logic has left the chat. It was a suggestion. I know a company or few that literally does this stuff. Alcantera or leather wrapped around the air bag cover. Might look great for looks, but when it goes off, idk how much damage would be done or if none. Nonetheless, its a suggestion; although a poor choice suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
You’re right.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I did receive a response from 1MAutos who sells just the replace cover for the steering wheel airbag, however it is not a helpful response. They shared a link to an airbag replacement on YouTube (
).
The video demonstrates how to replace the entire airbag, but does not at all discuss or show how to or if it is possible to replace the solely the cover after removing the airbag. I have replied to them asking for further information since they sell the airbag cover and would think they would know if people have done this successfully and I just would hope they'd have some insight on how to do so.

Additionally, I have an appointment with my dealership for a separate issue after they replaced my windshield after a nasty crack from a thrown rock on the freeway (camera was recalibrated but my lane departure system has still been out of whack since they gave me my MDX back after they replace the windshield... and yes, it is OEM glass). I think I will ask if they can have their interior detailer take a look and offer any further suggestions to cover the blemish on the airbag cover. Depending on how that goes and how much $$ they want, I may do as @NVAKeith suggested and attempt removing the airbag to discover if I buy a used replacement or see if I can just replace the cover.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it's been over a year, and I finally got the balls to replace the airbag cover on my 2018 MDX. I was able to complete this in under an hour and it was as straight forward as outlined in forum post linked below. The hardest part was carefully drilling out the three rivets as I am not bomb squad trained to know what kind of frequency could possibly set off the explosion in my face.

There were no "gotchas" or surprises with this process as long as you disconnect the battery beforehand and handle the airbag as carefully as possible.

DIY: replacing airbag cover

Here's the materials I used:
-New airbag cover, obviously (I ordered from 1MAutos, which appears to be no more. Their site is no longer up. Their item was called "2014-2020 Acura MDX Driver Steering Wheels Airbag Cover + EMBLEM" if you can search for it elsewhere.
-3 count 3/16 rivets with 1/2" flange. https://a.co/d/61kXZvB

Thanks again to all for your input and caution for me!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts