Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Great find! That color combo works. The 360 camera are worth every penny for them. Any mods planned like hitch, full size spare, or window tint?

Reactions: Cybervtek

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great find! That color combo works. The 360 camera are worth every penny for them. Any mods planned like hitch, full size spare, or window tint?
Thank you! Honestly, I didn't think of any mods yet. Not sure what is recommended. I don't really see myself towing anything at this time. I'm comfortable with the original tint, especially in the back. What else is there that looks good and is practical? Perhaps a bike rack (I'm in the Ozarks and bike a lot)

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I added a OEM hitch to my 19 MDX for bikes. Waaay too much effort putting them on the roof or stuffing a bike in the rear hatch. The OEM hitch can be a little costly if you include the harness. The OEM hitch does fit neatly inside the lower bumper with a replacement trim piece with the hitch+harness cut-outs. Some aftermarket hitches sit below the bumper and can sit too far back (hidden hitch) and your rack might sit too close to the bumper for the hanger style bike racks. Some aftermarket hitches don't allow for a full size spare; while, OEM does.

My other favorite mods are:
  • front window tint (a little lighter at 35%)
  • all weather mats
  • trifold rear cargo mat
  • splash guards
  • side steps (+85 year old in-laws)

Optional mods:
  • cargo cover
  • universal cargo mat (lays flat connected to 4 cargo hooks in the hatch)
  • small travel pillow (the head rest suck for a quick nap)
  • PPF and/or ceramic coating to help keep it looking good for the next +10 years

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I added a OEM hitch to my 19 MDX for bikes. Waaay too much effort putting them on the roof or stuffing a bike in the rear hatch. The OEM hitch can be a little costly if you include the harness. The OEM hitch does fit neatly inside the lower bumper with a replacement trim piece with the hitch+harness cut-outs. Some aftermarket hitches sit below the bumper and can sit too far back (hidden hitch) and your rack might sit too close to the bumper for the hanger style bike racks. Some aftermarket hitches don't allow for a full size spare; while, OEM does.

My other favorite mods are:
  • front window tint (a little lighter at 35%)
  • all weather mats
  • trifold rear cargo mat
  • splash guards
  • side steps (+85 year old in-laws)

Optional mods:
  • cargo cover
  • universal cargo mat (lays flat connected to 4 cargo hooks in the hatch)
  • small travel pillow (the head rest suck for a quick nap)
  • PPF and/or ceramic coating to help keep it looking good for the next +10 years
Tell me more about that PPF coating? How does it work and what are the best products to use?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
There are so many product out there for DYI and professional Paint Protective Film (PPF) and ceramic coating. It all starts with the color correction; which, is just prepping/polishing the paint/clear coat by smoothing out any scratches/blemishes for a mirror shine. The color correction is 90% of ceramic coating or PPF. If you don't color correct, you will be just lock in dull looking surface with PPF and/or ceramic coating (need to polish out that spiderweb looking scratch you see reflected off the surface in the sun).

I went the professional route for PPF and ceramic coating:

19 MDX Fathom Blue Pearl Adv Hybrid:
  • Suntek Ultra on front bumper, LEDs, entire hood, both front fenders, side mirrors, either side of wind shield, and partial rear bumper.
  • CQuartz Finest ceramic coating on the rest of MDX (roof, doors, rear quarter panel, rear bumper not covered in PPF)
  • Ceramic Pro on windows, rims, and interior surfaces
  • ExoShield windshield PPF

18 RLX Sport Hybrid Brilliant Red Metallic:
  • XPEL Ultimate on entire paint surfaces and LEDs (100% PPF)
  • Ceramic Pro on rims, glass, and interior
  • ExoShield windshield PPF

PPF is a little tougher that ceramic coating, +10 year to lifetime warranty, provides UV protection (no LED haze), can be self healing in the sun with scratches, helps with road rash and small debris strikes, can wash/dry/wax as normal (microfiber preferred), can have hydrophobic properties like ceramic coating to help it look cleaner, and can look 99% invisible.

Ceramic coating provides a shell of protection against environmental hazards like bird droppings, oils, salts, etc... That ceramic shell helps lock in the prefect shine from the color correction. Ceramic coating also has hydrophobic properties to help keep water beading up and looking cleaner. Can last 2 year to lifetime depending on the product and how many layers.

The big Cons with ceramic coating are:
  • ceramic coating can scratch easier than normal clear coat (only touchless car washes for now on if you don't hand wash)
  • preferred method of cleaning is the 2 bucket method with microfiber to wash and dry and foam cannon (hose or pressure washer) with ceramic soap
  • never dust mop ceramic coating or spot clean without a wet solution (I keep a bottle of mixed ceramic soap and microfiber towel in the back to spot clean bird crap)
  • won't protect against road rash or debris strikes like PPF can

1 - 6 of 6 Posts