Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting the issue that I faced a week ago and I hope this is not a repeat. My apologies if so.

While driving on Penn Turnpike a week ago, all of a sudden my dash board was dazzling with multiple system problem messages and this has never happened in my car. I initially thought it was a glitch on display and continued to drive few miles and took a coffee break to see whether it goes away, and it didn't. I had no closeby dealership available and so, I continued driving back on that highway. In a short distance of driving, it started to beep and alarmed to stop the car immediately. I attempted to apply brake to pull into the shoulder area, but to my surprise brake was jammed. I was lucky enough that I had a long shoulder and in an uphill to decelerate to eventually stop the car.

My car is now with a dealer to identify the issue and they haven't been able to isolate the issue. Has anyone encountered this issue and if so, please reply.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Never heard of this issue. I have a 19 hybrid with 21,000 miles. The locked up brake pedal is a little scary. Probably one of the disadvantages of drive-by-wire brakes went the power fails. Keep us posted on the fix.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I am posting the issue that I faced a week ago and I hope this is not a repeat. My apologies if so.

While driving on Penn Turnpike a week ago, all of a sudden my dash board was dazzling with multiple system problem messages and this has never happened in my car. I initially thought it was a glitch on display and continued to drive few miles and took a coffee break to see whether it goes away, and it didn't. I had no closeby dealership available and so, I continued driving back on that highway. In a short distance of driving, it started to beep and alarmed to stop the car immediately. I attempted to apply brake to pull into the shoulder area, but to my surprise brake was jammed. I was lucky enough that I had a long shoulder and in an uphill to decelerate to eventually stop the car.

My car is now with a dealer to identify the issue and they haven't been able to isolate the issue. Has anyone encountered this issue and if so, please reply.
Sorry for your issue. You know there is an emergency brake. Mine will be 4 years old in a few months. No problems at all. Glad you’re safe. Good luck.

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech
29 Posts
Sounds pretty disconcerting. Glad it ended without incident. I’m hoping it is something with the hybrid regen system that’s notoo difficult to resolve.

I have an ‘18 as well, non hybrid. Given the electronic parking brake and on/off application, I’m not sure how that would work out if one was to turn it on while moving.

My Honda’s with hand operated parking brakes, I can see applying those while moving slowly and being able to easily modulate it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I read all the TSBs before buying my MDX. Your issue reminded me of below, should be easy for them to confirm/rule out by checking the fuse:

As long as it's under warranty and permanently occurring (eg: not intermittent), I'm sure the dealer will eventually figure it out. I had a bluetooth issue with my Odyssey years ago that took the dealer 3 days and multiple calls to tech-headquarters at Torrance to figure out. I still remember asking to get my carseat after a day, and walking into the service bay seeing 3 laptops wired into different parts of the car (engine, OBD2, and Homelink area) while they were figuring it out - turned out to be a wiring short.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Sounds pretty disconcerting. Glad it ended without incident. I’m hoping it is something with the hybrid regen system that’s notoo difficult to resolve.

I have an ‘18 as well, non hybrid. Given the electronic parking brake and on/off application, I’m not sure how that would work out if one was to turn it on while moving.

My Honda’s with hand operated parking brakes, I can see applying those while moving slowly and being able to easily modulate it.
Good point don’t know how the electronics would work.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sorry for your issue. You know there is an emergency brake. Mine will be 4 years old in a few months. No problems at all. Glad you’re safe. Good luck.
well the emergency brake is just a push button on the dash. haven't tried to use it when moving to see if it would work or not. Likely not since I think it automatically releases when I put the car in gear.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Sorry this happened, hope Acura has resolution soon! No problems yet with my 2018 Sport Hybrid Advance, 32,000 miles. Your issue is concerning, sure interested in the resolution.

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech
29 Posts
Looks like you tube shows the E parking brake works in motion on a VW. Who’s going to try it on their MDX?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Went through the manual looking for something else and found below. Probably the same system so not an emergency backup brake.

"If you press and hold the electric parking brake
switch while driving, the brakes on all four
wheels are applied by the VSA® system until the
vehicle comes to a stop. The electric parking
brake then applies, and the switch should be
released."

·
Registered
2018 Sport Hybrid Advance - Lunar Silver Metallic
80 Posts

So any update on what the dealer found and what the issue was?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your replies. Unfortunately, Acura dealership is still diagnosing the issue and talking to Acura engineering team. I will update once I find the resolution from them.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I hope they gave you a loner vehicle while they are trying to figure out the issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts