Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
But not with same motor besides why would they add another transmission in addition to a DCT? Is that a common practice with DCTs?
they aren't adding another transmission in addition to the DCT, they are putting a torque converter or electric motor between the gas engine and the DCT. Why? well remember a DCT is a manual transmission with 2 clutches. One of the biggest complaints and issues with DCT's is shudder, jerks, etc. at a start. I guess people that are used to an automatic and never driven a stick are expecting a very smooth engagement, like you get with an auto and the same smooth shifts. That's pretty hard to do with a DCT under all conditions. Various mfg have had a slew of complaints and problems from customers on cars with DCT regarding shudder, jerks, harsh engagement from a start along with inconsistent shift engagement. And they have struggled to come up with solutions. Honda's solution seems to work well. with either the electric motor or torque converter along with a DTC they get the best advantages of an automatic for starting and the performance, low weight and economy advantages of the DTC. Of course it adds cost.

And I'd say the Honda solution in the sports hybrid at least is indeed a "best of both worlds" solution. Instant throttle response, quick shifts, and extremely smooth starts. Especially In sports+ mode with the engine always running I'd say anyone that had driven a DCT with the shudder problems would swear the car does NOT have a DCT transmision but a conventional automatic.

There is still one downside to a DCT that hasn't been solved. They are sequential gearboxes by nature, so it's not possible to skip gears on upshifts or downshifts. So if your cruising along in 7th gear and want to drop say to 4th gear for quick acceleration, the gearbox must downshift to 6th then downshift to 5th, then finally to 4th. But that can happen real quick.

here is a link to more info on the honda 8 speed DCT. I suspect the 7 speed with the electric motor is a very similar design.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sir, why are you switching between topics? DCT coupling with electric models is fairly common at this time so no questions there.

Is Honda coupling a TC with a DCT in non Hybrid models?
yes, like I said earlier in a post the honda 8 speed DCT in non hybrids has a torque converter. The ILX4 and TLX 4 cylinder have an 8 speed DCT with torque converter.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts