Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Advance, Sport Hybrid. I am very disappointed with the car. Sometimes when i backup there is a very hard jerking motion. I feels like the brakes are being applied. I have taken to the dealership and talked to customer service. I am told this is normal. I cannot believe a $60K vehicle should jerk when backing up. Please advise if anyone else has had this problem and it has been resolved how was it resolved.

·
Registered
152 Posts
have not experienced anything like you describe on our 2019 sports hybrid. I do notice that if you don't release the parking brake and let the car release it when you go in to gear depending on how much throttle you give it, I do notice different levels of jerk as it releases. but it is a single event as the parking brake releases.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I have a 2017 Advance, Sport Hybrid. I am very disappointed with the car. Sometimes when i backup there is a very hard jerking motion. I feels like the brakes are being applied. I have taken to the dealership and talked to customer service. I am told this is normal. I cannot believe a $60K vehicle should jerk when backing up. Please advise if anyone else has had this problem and it has been resolved how was it resolved.
I haven’t noticed anything like that. I think the hybrid is great. I don’t think price has anything to do with anything as far as things going wrong. 60k is not that much anymore.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've got a gas-powered MDX and a hybrid RLX, and neither exhibit this. However, I have had a time when the brake was on my MDX and it gave that sort of "lurch" when backing up (my previous '17 MDX, not my '19). I noticed sometimes the parking brake would automatically engage and then disengage randomly. It could be that, as it was an abrupt release.....

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Is this something that developed over time or is it recent? How many miles do you have and has any service been done to the 7DCT? Happens all the time on level and inclines? I'm a member on other Acura forums and the consensus is you MUST change the 7DCT every 30,000 miles at a minimal. There is a TSB for the 7DCT for Judder, shudders, and surges that requires a software update and new fluid:
Another issue I had with my 19 Hybrid was the clunking and a little jerkiness going into reverse from my driveway that had a decline. Never an issue with my 11 MDX, 08 RDX, 06 TSX. Using the parking brake with my MDX/RLX hybrids solved that issue 100%.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Is this something that developed over time or is it recent? How many miles do you have and has any service been done to the 7DCT? Happens all the time on level and inclines? I'm a member on other Acura forums and the consensus is you MUST change the 7DCT every 30,000 miles at a minimal. There is a TSB for the 7DCT for Judder, shudders, and surges that requires a software update and new fluid:
Another issue I had with my 19 Hybrid was the clunking and a little jerkiness going into reverse from my driveway that had a decline. Never an issue with my 11 MDX, 08 RDX, 06 TSX. Using the parking brake with my MDX/RLX hybrids solved that issue 100%.
Similar to what I noticed on our MDX hybrid and it may also apply to the non hybrid. The parking brake is set automatically when the engine shuts off if you don't set it prior to shut off. So....... being lazy I thought well I'll just let the car do that. And the brake will release automatically once the car is started, put into gear and you give it some gas. Decided after a few days that may not be a real good idea, especially on inclines. What I noticed is that the parking brake doesn't get set till after the park pawl gets engaged. and the car will roll a bit on an incline. Now one thing I learned years ago. Set the parking brake THEN shift to park. What I noticed is if Iet the car do it's thing, yes there is often a clunk or resistance when starting to move again.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I hope you meant transmission fluid and not the Gearbox :oops:
Yup! Sometimes what's in my head doesn't translate clearly when I'm typing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You can spend 70k on a Chevy or gmc suv. 80k on an Audi. The point is how much the car costs is not really relevant to types of problems anymore. Rolls Royces can break down.
I'm sure you can spend a lot more (or less) than $60K. But that's not what i commented on. Ditto on car costs not being relevant to types of problems, even though I disagree. What i commented on was $60k not being much anymore. Maybe you're in a higher tax bracket, but to me and a lot of people i know, $60K is still a big chunk of change to throw at a car. And it comes with an expectation that it will be better than something cheaper (not always the case, of course.)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm sure you can spend a lot more (or less) than $60K. But that's not what i commented on. Ditto on car costs not being relevant to types of problems, even though I disagree. What i commented on was $60k not being much anymore. Maybe you're in a higher tax bracket, but to me and a lot of people i know, $60K is still a big chunk of change to throw at a car. And it comes with an expectation that it will be better than something cheaper (not always the case, of course.)
Honestly, that’s an extremely naive expectation for a mass produced vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
A more expensive car generally has more content, not necessarily better design or components/systems that spent more time being validated. Therefore expecting a $60k car to be less prone to issue than a $30k car is probably unrealistic. In fact I would consider a base Honda Civic to be less likely to have an issue than a Sport Hybrid MDX (particularly since that was the first model year for that MDX)

To your original question, you're asking one of those questions that really doesn't translate well on a forum. Whenever a dealer has told me it's "normal" there is a bit more information given. If you didn't ask for a more detailed explanation of what system or feature is creating this sensation, then that seems like good a first step before getting upset.

·
Registered
152 Posts
have not experienced anything like you describe on our 2019 sports hybrid. I do notice that if you don't release the parking brake and let the car release it when you go in to gear depending on how much throttle you give it, I do notice different levels of jerk as it releases. but it is a single event as the parking brake releases.
Yes, that probably the issue! The other possibility is that there is actually a problem with the transmission, which should be replaced under warranty. Is the OP really "disappointed in the car" because of this one, resolvable issue?

·
Registered
152 Posts
another thought that might be related to what the OP is experiencing. On the sport hybrid the V6 always runs when you select reverse. Now, I'm assuming that is because the electric motors don't operate in reverse. The are AC syncronous motors, and reversing them is not as easy as in a DC motor. So...... now you have a gas engine coupled to a DCT and the electric motor can't act as the "buffer" between the engine and clutch like it does when going forward. One issue many mfg are dealing with in DCT transmisions is smooth clutch engagement. Remember, the car has a manual transmission, it is just shifted automatically. Acura has employed either an electric motor or in the non hybrids a torque converter coupled between the engine and DCT. This results in yet another easy to control variable to make the clutch engagement from stop smoother. And indeed it is a good solution. but in reverse no electric motor so the engagement may not be as smooth as in drive. Have had many cars with manual transmissions, the MDX in reverse does on occasion act like the clutch engagement is harsh, and if the car has the parking brake on, it probably agrivates the condition because the clutch as to engage enough to get movement to release the parking brake, but not slip much either. And how much throttle you give it to start with probably also impacts the level of jerk one might experience.

Ford has had many drivers complaints with the DCT they use (or did use) in some cars. complaints were jerky shifts, jerk when starting etc. And road test of other cars with DCT have occasionally made comments on DCT operation.

How many people buying cars today have even riden in a car with a stick, let alone driven one?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Acura has employed either an electric motor or in the non hybrids a torque converter coupled between the engine and DCT. This results in yet another easy to control variable to make the clutch engagement from stop smoother.
There is no DCT in non Hybrids, its a shitty ZF 9 speed torque converter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts