Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my X a little more than three years. First oil change done about 10,000 miles. Odometer is at 21,300 miles and the oil life is 50%. Is this because I drive like a grandma? :unsure:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had my X a little more than three years. First oil change done about 10,000 miles. Odometer is at 21,300 miles and the oil life is 50%. Is this because I drive like a grandma? :unsure:
Something doesn’t sound right. Could you or someone else have reset the MID by accident? Did you visit a dealer around the 15-17k mile mark for service .... maybe for the rear differential fluid change (AWD, I assume)? Perhaps they reset the MID?
I would change the oil and filter ASAP ..... and the rear differential fluid (if AWD) if it hasn’t been done already. 11.3k miles on the oil is pushing the limit.
And I would personally not exceed a year w/o changing the oil anyway.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
The manual also states you should change the oil once a year regardless of the MID %.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I have around the same mileage on my 19 MDX. I did my first oil change at 9,500 miles, 2nd oil change with rear diff oil change at 17,800 miles, and my oil life % is at 80% with 20,400 miles on the odo. Do you have sh-awd and was it serviced around the 15,000-17,000 mile mark? Sounds like the M.I.D. was reset around that time?

·
Registered
96 Posts
something is wrong. My 16 and 20 MDX both want oil change around 7k miles.
Might not be anything wrong with them. If you do a bunch of stop n go driving, long warmups, little steady driving, etc., you might need to change your oil at 7k miles or so. I’d change the oil and fliter on both and reset the MID. My previous 17 Tech MID would be around 15-20% at 7k miles.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I replaced my oil per the MID at about 6k. I am at 14k now and MID indicates 50%.
This does not seem right to me. Oil change was at the Acura dealer.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Sounds like something is off - probably the MID oil change reminder got reset by a service person.

I actually hit 0% life left once while on a trip and it was at almost exactly 10,000 miles since the prior change. Each of my oil changes were at intervals where it probably would have hit 10K miles if I let it go to 0% (but other than the one time I always change it prior to 0%). I think Acura probably sets the interval mileage at 10K miles and then based on driving conditions adjusts to somewhat sooner from that point.

In your case I recommend changing the oil and resetting the MID so you're back at the 100% point. Pay close attention in the next interval to see if it's tracking to the roughly 10K mile point or sooner as expected.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have around the same mileage on my 19 MDX. I did my first oil change at 9,500 miles, 2nd oil change with rear diff oil change at 17,800 miles, and my oil life % is at 80% with 20,400 miles on the odo. Do you have sh-awd and was it serviced around the 15,000-17,000 mile mark? Sounds like the M.I.D. was reset around that time?
I have SH-AWD. Acura did the oil change and differential fluid change at 10,000 miles and they have not touched it since.

If I change oil, etc. and reset the MID, how do I pull the maintenance codes that would have showed up?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I have SH-AWD. Acura did the oil change and differential fluid change at 10,000 miles and they have not touched it since.

If I change oil, etc. and reset the MID, how do I pull the maintenance codes that would have showed up?
I don't know how to see service codes 1-6 until the A or B oil change codes are shown starting at 15%.

My theory is:
  • you also reset any scheduled 1-6 codes if you change your oil between 100%-20% and reset manually
  • the M.I.D. will also shorten the oil change % if you will be overdue for another fluid service (AT, transfer case, rear diff). Probably why my 2nd engine oil change was around 8300 miles because I was 2000 miles overdue for my rear diff service.

The Acura tech has the ability to read and reset individual 1-6 service codes. I usually like to stick with a 30,000 miles AT (and transfer case if sh-awd) service for my vehicles. If that service isn't due on the M.I.D., the tech can reset that individual code after the unscheduled service (at least they did for my 06 TSX, 08 RDX, and 11 MDX). Not 100% sure if they can with the newer vehicles? Sometimes the tech forgets and the transmission code might pop up on the next service and they reset it then.

I just think (but don't know for certain) if you reset your oil reminder at 20% or higher will also reset the associated 1-6 service. You will then have manually track and change by feel/mileage the 1-6 services from that point forward. I had +500,000 miles between my 06 TSX, 08 RDX, and 11 MDX sticking to the M.I.D. oil change schedule. I just added the extra AT fluid change every 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
^ ATF for the ZF9 is around 50k miles, not the old 30k schedule
I have the old 6AT for my 11 MDX and 7DCT for my MDX/RLX hybrid. Will still follow the 30K intervals for those transmissions.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
738 Posts
^ ATF for the ZF9 is around 50k miles, not the old 30k schedule
I stuck with the 30k schedule on a crappy CVT and also sticking to the 40k schedule for the 9spd AT. Its just the owner's preference when to get it done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Good news is that the maintenance reset screen shows the codes that you are resetting. My codes were A12.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts

The same place you reset the MID shows the next maintenance. It doesn’t have to be at 15%.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts