Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made the move from a Flex Eco-Boost to the 2017 MDX. While I really miss the Flex and the power that came with 365 horses and way more torque than this MDX, clearly it is a more refined, better equipped vehicle. Here are some very early observations:

- My worries about the 9 speed ZF transmission were unnecessary. This thing shifts smooth and predictably. If in a situation where I want a more sensitive and immediate throttle response, I set to Sport and it is perfect for the need.
- Interior. Obviously the family and I miss the interior space of the Flex, but we knew that would be the case. The second row is noticeably cramped compared to the Ford, but still very comfortable. One thing I noticed is that when you slide the second row back for more legroom, the "seat tracks" on the floor become exposed. That is both unsightly and the grease in the tracks would easily find its way to clothes/gear. Still, no biggie.
- LOVE the brake hold. One of the best in town features in my opinion.
- The Nav system is meh, but then again I am the type that will only use it on longer trips. I know my way around town and the effort to enter destinations isn't worth it. To be fair, I'm sure with time I will appreciate it more as it is still very new and unfamiliar to me.
- Bluetooth audio quality is much better than average as reported by callers on the other end.
- Cabin noise levels are superb as expected.
- Ordered the WeatherTech mats before taking delivery and simply would not have the Dr.X without them.
- Miss a damn coin holder. Why can't most cars have the one with the slots for quarters/dimes/Nickels such that loose change does not rattle around? C'mon Acura!

On balance we love this thing and are very glad we chose the '17 over the '16.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Congrats on the Purchase! What were your accessories? I see the black wheels and the Advance Running Boards but what else? No LED Fogs?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Made the move from a Flex Eco-Boost to the 2017 MDX. While I really miss the Flex and the power that came with 365 horses and way more torque than this MDX, clearly it is a more refined, better equipped vehicle. Here are some very early observations:

-
-
- Miss a damn coin holder. Why can't most cars have the one with the slots for quarters/dimes/Nickels such that loose change does not rattle around? C'mon Acura!

On balance we love this thing and are very glad we chose the '17 over the '16.
I can't remember the last time I had loose change in my car. The tolls are electronic. I almost never use change for anything.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't remember the last time I had loose change in my car. The tolls are electronic. I almost never use change for anything.
There are still parking meters in Metro Dade. Also, I still use cash to purchase things at drive throughs and need a place to hold the change for the next purchase when I then use the coin dispenser to conveniently make exact change when I can.

As for the previous post, I have only added the side molding, advanced running boards, tow package, and splash guards. After using This MDX at night, (and having previous cars with fogs) I feel fogs are purely cosmetic. They are close to $800 installed, so I chose to apply that savings towards the extended warranty. YMMV.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There are still parking meters in Metro Dade. Also, I still use cash to purchase things at drive throughs and need a place to hold the change for the next purchase when I then use the coin dispenser to conveniently make exact change when I can.

Get one of these, get some double sided tape and stick it to the inside of the center storage compartment:

Custom Accessories 91116 Coin Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001XPC7C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_eCRYxbXMMBY6Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
That is probably better then anything the dealer would add. And cheaper.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
The parking meters in Chicago cost too much to use change. I charge everything. That's just me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is probably better then anything the dealer would add. And cheaper.

No. It is an add on that requires tape to fix. I'm glad you have no need for one. I do. Parking meters are only part of it, but it isn't going to spoil my day.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
very nice! did you ever think of adding a black vinyl wrap on the roof? would make it really agressive looking!

I had not thought of it. It would probably LOOK cool, but in Florida, a black roof never IS cool. This was one of the reasons we went white to begin with. Still, I'd love to see one done the way you suggest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice Vic,

We pulled the Trigger on a 17 a week back, had to find the preferred Black on Black which for some reason is difficult.
This was a difficult purchase, we seldom have differing opinions about most things, in this case the choice was a Audi Q7 (Mine) and the MDX (Hers). There were short comings in the Audi, as stunning as that may sound and actually the same short comings we found in the 16 MDX.
Storage in the front was abysmal, Powers Points (What do these Folks Think), and it's a people hauler which means folks will want to plug in their toys, front/middle/back (geesh)???
The 16 MDX had better storage than the 17 Q7, nothing earth shattering but actually better than the Audi, but alas, someone missed the BIG picture, Minimal Power points at best, nothing in the Middle Row and we never bothered to check the back, told her take it back and no thanks.
My Ford F350 has more storage and power points than both of these cars combined, so dealer said wait for the 17.
So got a call, one was in, we test drove the 17 MDX back to back with the Audi, the Audi stickered at 65 the MDX at 56, I give the MDX the nod for Storage, and Power Points, I know this seems petty, but truth is we're self employed and plugging in and having places to put stuff is a HIGH priority. I give the Audi the nod for a more upscale experience, somewhat better performance, a Functional Nav System and Entertainment system. On the down side, it's getting to the point you'll need a engineering degree to decipher the systems in these vehicles, there's more electronic crap crammed into the Audi than the Space Shuttle. Better hope something doesn't fail, may disable the whole vehicle.....
On the Driving front, the Acura is a really decent Semi-Upscale SUV, it's not a Mercedes but friends own one and I'm not overly impressed, but it has the emblem. The car in Sport Mod is a real decent performer, the exhaust has that Performance Sound, it actually handles pretty good, and when you press hard on the throttle the response is quick and decidedly fast.
The look of the 17 is IMO vastly improved from the 16, and I'll credit Acura with abstaining from the new Extra Gape front Grill that seems to be the current rage. In a ocean of look alike's anything to differentiate yours from there's can't hurt, and truth is, all these things look alike, regardless of what level for the most part.
I'll post as we move along, we've managed a few hundred mile since picking her up, Love the Black on Black. Otherwise seems like a well put together vehicle, not sure what other's are seeing with mis-aligned body parts etc.
No Audi for me, but this is her car for the most part, and she's my partner and best bud, she deserves it, and what the hell, I've got a 2008 GT500 in the garage and can always take that out and go swat a Porsche or two.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just completed my Zaino Polish sequence so I thought I'd add a tail shot. About 500 miles on the car and have really enjoyed it (minus the nav).

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
very nice! did you ever think of adding a black vinyl wrap on the roof? would make it really agressive looking!
Maybe I'm too old but,I thought vinyl on the roof went out in the 80s. Unless you are over 80.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Elvis,

It's really refereed to as wrap, it's the new way they set up advertising on vehicles, as well use it to dress a car/boat/plane/etc etc without a repaint, if you no like, take it off and do it over, or back to the original paint.
It's not like the 70's Vinyl roof crap, if done right it's hardly distinguishable from a paint job, for the most part.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts