Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just took delivery of our 2017 Acura MDX - Top of the line with sport seats and all options. It is really nice and we LOVE the vehicle. Around town the seat adjustments are OK but on long trips (2 + hours) the seat cannot be adjusted to be comfortable. With the wheel all the way down and any seat adjustments possible the driver (Wife) arms and shoulder begin to heart. Using the hands at the 3 and 9 positions. Any suggestions on how to make this more comfortable?:crying2:

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
We just took delivery of our 2017 Acura MDX - Top of the line with sport seats and all options. It is really nice and we LOVE the vehicle. Around town the seat adjustments are OK but on long trips (2 + hours) the seat cannot be adjusted to be comfortable. With the wheel all the way down and any seat adjustments possible the driver (Wife) arms and shoulder begin to heart. Using the hands at the 3 and 9 positions. Any suggestions on how to make this more comfortable?:crying2:
I would suggest that hand position doesn't work for her. She should move her hands around.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Has she tried different telescoping (in-out) positions on the steering wheel? Maybe adjust that after an hour or so to change her elbow extension.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Hmm is part of the problem that she can't reach the pedals if she raises her seat? Or is it already fully up? Holding at 3 and 9 should still have the arms at a downward angle from the shoulder, but I've seen some folks driving with arms fully extended straight and slightly upward toward the wheel.

On long straight drives, she may want to drive using the 4 and 8/5 and 7 positions instead to let her arms settle in a more natural resting position. Or even switch up between using something like 10 and 5/2 and 7 (depending on which arm is dominant for steering). The steering wheel airbag should be pointed right at the chest and should be distanced away at least 10".

And then there is ultimately sometimes just biology that doesn't work (e.g. too big of a car, and thus cockpit, for the body type, or simply the ergonomics of a brand just don't work for some people), and some folks don't have sufficient shoulder muscles for long duration drives. My wife is 5'-0" and has no issues so I'm curious as to what the positioning looks like.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have s friend with very long arms and he gets pain if be does not have large armrests. He installed aftermarket strap on cushion for the center console on his jeep. I think he got it on amazon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts