Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2017 advanced. Overall we like the car however the NAV system and GPS are horrible. The first issue is the Nav database is from 2014 issued in 2015! They have no plans for a update soon. It does not know a major interstate completed 4 years ago. As a result nearly all routing instructions are wrong from my house. I test drove 3 other brands, all 2016 models and the interstate was correctly shown. The other issue is the GPS frequently loses position resulting in a not on digitized road message and then erroneous routing instructions. Sometimes it's lost for a few seconds and other times for 10 or 15 minutes. Anyone else seeing this?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a 2015 Advance and have been impressed with the GPS. I understand that it won't have the recently completed interchanges here in the DFW area but other than that it has been very accurate. I do get the "not on a digitized road" message but it seems to be associated with my actually being off the road in a parking lot or other NEW road that is not on the map. I don't believe it is because it is losing the GPS signal.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Yup, happens to me a lot because my city is always changing. The HERE map updates are just really crappy and behind. No car manufacturer will realistically ever catch up unless they provide something like a google maps type solution like tesla did.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
It just shows that everyone's expectations are different. Besides the interface,which is horrible. I have said this before. I was in Roanoke Indiana. A very old town. I was on Main Street. Probably at least 100 years old. The MDX said not on a digitized road. So it wouldn't route me to where I needed to go. Good thing I had my Garmin. I don't use it. Plus the maps are old and too expensive to update. Assuming there are updates.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Nav has been a weak MDX spot, even on my gen II. Maps seem to be behind other manufacturers....but I knew that going in. It did not sway me from getting the car. I tend to use google on my phone as a back up during trips because I still trust it's traffic updates more than any manufacturer's vehicle I have owned so far

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a 2015 Advance and have been impressed with the GPS. I understand that it won't have the recently completed interchanges here in the DFW area but other than that it has been very accurate. I do get the "not on a digitized road" message but it seems to be associated with my actually being off the road in a parking lot or other NEW road that is not on the map. I don't believe it is because it is losing the GPS signal.
Impressed??? Really??? MDX's navigation is anything BUT impressive. It's probably the MOST outdate system used by a car manufacturer today, especially by the one that sells it's cars under "luxury" label. $90.00 Garmin sold at best Buy is WAY better than what we get in an MDX. Acura should be ashamed, really.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Impressed??? Really??? MDX's navigation is anything BUT impressive. It's probably the MOST outdate system used by a car manufacturer today, especially by the one that sells it's cars under "luxury" label. $90.00 Garmin sold at best Buy is WAY better than what we get in an MDX. Acura should be ashamed, really.
Amen

·
Registered
745 Posts
Honda has already shifted to the Garmin system across its entire model lineup, as have about 1/2 the other car manufactures. The 2016 Honda Pilot has the new Garmin software up and running. For whatever reason, the Acura lineup was not ported to the Garmin system, yet.

Agreed, the alpine-based nav system as presently installed across the Acura line is an embarrassment. For example, nav traffic is updated every 10 to 20 minutes, or so, with the current system. So, by the time accident or traffic data arrives, you're already stuck in traffic, and rerouting options are dated and limited. Traffic info with the Garmin system are updated through the HD radio sub carrier frequencies every 15 seconds (!), thus rerouting can be calculated before you get gridlocked.

Note, also, that updates are free (gulp!) with the Garmin system and delivered 3 to 4 times a year.

Shame on you Acura for delivering such a flawed system!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
So get this: I complain about my Nav system (2017 Tech SH AWD). The dealer says I just need to understand how to use it properly. I say I am quite capable and that the issues are the system, not me. While in to pick up a sun visor I allow one of the salesmen to show me how to operate it properly. Within a min. of me demonstrating the issues he sheepishly shares that all the issues I pointed out are known and that Acura is behind Honda because of the demographic that purchase each...ie Honda "young and with it" Acura older and not interested in the latest and greatest. Really?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Honda has already shifted to the Garmin system across its entire model lineup, as have about 1/2 the other car manufactures. The 2016 Honda Pilot has the new Garmin software up and running. For whatever reason, the Acura lineup was not ported to the Garmin system, yet.

Agreed, the alpine-based nav system as presently installed across the Acura line is an embarrassment. For example, nav traffic is updated every 10 to 20 minutes, or so, with the current system. So, by the time accident or traffic data arrives, you're already stuck in traffic, and rerouting options are dated and limited. Traffic info with the Garmin system are updated through the HD radio sub carrier frequencies every 15 seconds (!), thus rerouting can be calculated before you get gridlocked.

Note, also, that updates are free (gulp!) with the Garmin system and delivered 3 to 4 times a year.

Shame on you Acura for delivering such a flawed system!!
Mostly true, but I can add some additional insight since I have a 2016 Pilot Touring ( with Garmin-based Nav ) and my wife has a 2014 MDX Tech ( with Alpine Nav ).

For the Pilot, Nav map updates are free for 5 years, and are released once a year. Yes, this is different from Garmin's stand-alone units. Not sure how Nav traffic gets received, and I wouldn't say it's up-to-the-second, but my Touring doesn't have an HD radio tuner; that's reserved for the "Elite" trim. I do have XM radio and I think that's on all the trims that have Nav, so maybe the Nav traffic is from XM. Or maybe it's old-school FM band. Dunno.

As far as positional accuracy, the Garmin-based unit gets "lost in space" a fair bit, but it usually recovers within a few minutes. It does this more than recent Garmin stand-alone units I have owned. I don't drive the 2014 MDX enough to directly compare.

Yes, the Garmin based system is massively easier to use than the Alpine one. The big touchscreen is nice, but it catches the sun and it does attract fingerprints. Honda kindly included a microfiber cloth to wipe it. No joke. Unfortunately, getting waypoints into the thing is very limited. It can't read them off a USB drive. There is a limited facility to load them over-the-air via HondaLink but it's buggy and you can only do one waypoint at a time. I don't have a clue if this will change going forward, but it's a big downer. One of the benefits of Garmin stand-alone units is that you can load them up with waypoints before a trip, so what gives?

And on the subject of the younger, hipper Honda demographic, you should hear all the griping that the 2016 Pilot head-unit doesn't support Apple CarPlay or Android Auto! I'm expecting a riot any day now. It's on some 2016 Honda models, and there are rumors it may be supported in 2017+ Pilots, but the update may not be retroactive to the 2016 Pilot. Hence the torches and pitchforks. Dunno. But support for smartphone mapping apps on the headunit display is one of the things people are clamoring for. They have a point.

The other rumor is that the new Acura NSX will get a similar headunit and Nav to the current Honda stuff. Not that I'm in the market for an NSX, sadly, but it may indicate Acura's future direction.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The most ridiculous part is that Honda upgraded every little shoebox in their line up with the latest Nav but left their "luxury" division unchanged. Who is the moron in charge of the Acura's marketing? How could they let this happen?

·
Registered
391 Posts
So get this: I complain about my Nav system (2017 Tech SH AWD). The dealer says I just need to understand how to use it properly. I say I am quite capable and that the issues are the system, not me. While in to pick up a sun visor I allow one of the salesmen to show me how to operate it properly. Within a min. of me demonstrating the issues he sheepishly shares that all the issues I pointed out are known and that Acura is behind Honda because of the demographic that purchase each...ie Honda "young and with it" Acura older and not interested in the latest and greatest. Really?
the nerve of them. humph!

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
The most ridiculous part is that Honda upgraded every little shoebox in their line up with the latest Nav but left their "luxury" division unchanged. Who is the moron in charge of the Acura's marketing? How could they let this happen?
At least you have the changes that the 2014 never received.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just purchased a 2017 advanced. Overall we like the car however the NAV system and GPS are horrible. The first issue is the Nav database is from 2014 issued in 2015! They have no plans for a update soon. It does not know a major interstate completed 4 years ago. As a result nearly all routing instructions are wrong from my house. I test drove 3 other brands, all 2016 models and the interstate was correctly shown. The other issue is the GPS frequently loses position resulting in a not on digitized road message and then erroneous routing instructions. Sometimes it's lost for a few seconds and other times for 10 or 15 minutes. Anyone else seeing this?
you want easy solution get a navtool , and use Waze instead of outdated factory nav. i don't even know how to use factory nav, any smartphone app will have updates at no extra charge.

·
Registered
149 Posts
you want easy solution get a navtool , and use Waze instead of outdated factory nav. i don't even know how to use factory nav, any smartphone app will have updates at no extra charge.
How do I get my $50,000 car to show the wake app. on my screen instead of my i-phone?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wouldn't say it alters your system in any way, after I installed mine there is no difference in system functionality.
It is by pure definition an undeniable alteration to the original system. Just one that you are ok with and I am not. Choices are a good thing I suppose.

...think about it, if after you installed it there was "no difference in functionality", then in fact there would be no reason to install it in the first place.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Yeah the splice is rather obvious so during a warranty case it would be an issue. I know they have to prove it is the root of any issue but still, mods never sit well with any dealer or mfg during cases. Hell, Hyundai tried denying warranty when i removed a trim piece to show them a problem. Just removal...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts