Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2017 MDX w/tech package certified pre owned

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  datechboss101 
#1 ·
Hello,
I am new to the forum and have been doing a ton of reading on the forum for quite sometime regarding the reliability of the MDX. I have read a lot about the transmission reliability and I know there is a lawsuit out there regarding the transmission. I’d like to get feedback from the current owners: do you think it’s worth buying a 2017 Acura MDX in 2020? Have the transmission issues been fixed? Your feedback is appreciated thank you.

#2 ·
So far our 2018 X transmission has been fine. There are a couple of software updates to help fix some of the complaints. I am going in this morning for TSB20-015 update. IMHO as long as maintenances have been done on time it should be fine.
BTW, with the 2017 you will loose several things that may or may not be important to you.

#3 ·
I own a 2017 since new, and honestly its been bulletproof reliable overall. This transmission has been great so far and I like that. I had TSB 20-015 done last month and it helped out with the harsh shifts. I don't need AA and I obviously don't like Apple OS interface, so I am glad the 17 didn't came with either. If you read from magazines that these MDXs has transmission issues, take it with a grain of salt. Make sure you get the service reciepts for the CPO MDX you are looking at to make sure all the fluids have been changed at least once before (Brake fluid, rear diff if its an AWD, transmission fluid drained and filled, and regular oil changes).

Are you getting the FWD or AWD varient?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I own a 2017 since new, and honestly its been bulletproof reliable overall. This transmission has been great so far and I like that. I had TSB 20-015 done last month and it helped out with the harsh shifts. I don't need AA and I obviously don't like Apple OS interface, so I am glad the 17 didn't came with either. If you read from magazines that these MDXs has transmission issues, take it with a grain of salt. Make sure you get the service reciepts for the CPO MDX you are looking at to make sure all the fluids have been changed at least once before (Brake fluid, rear diff if its an AWD, transmission fluid drained and filled, and regular oil changes).

Are you getting the FWD or AWD varient?

Thanks for the feedback. I am considered the AWD since I am in the northeast.

#4 ·
We are all assuming it is a 3.5L MDX in either fwd or sh-awd models. The isn't a transmission issue other than a software update with the 17-20 MDX hybrids.

The +18 MDXs seemed to be the model year when 9AT issues start to become less of an issue. Not sure if it was because of a software upgrade and/or mechanical upgrades within the 9AT? Another advantage with the 18 MDXs are:
  • Apple/Android carplay added
  • updated touchscreen with higher graphic resolution
  • chrome trim around font seat controls
  • more wood trim depending on model level
  • another year of updated map data (not a big deal if you have carplay)

#10 ·
Absolutely love my CPO 2017 MDX SHAWD. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. My transmission has been flawless in the 20k miles I've put on it.
The only "advantage" to moving to a 2018 would be to get Android Auto / Apple Carplay, but that certainly wasn't worth the ~3k price jump over a 17 model. The 18 has the same exact transmission as the 2016-2020 models, and all of them can be updated with the most recent software update (TSB 20-015) if the car isn't shifting properly. The MDX is a fantastic vehicle, I'm sure you will be happy with it

#12 ·
I took my 2017 into the dealer two weeks ago to have the software updated on the transmission bcs of hard shifts. There was nothing wrong it just shifted hard. The dealership went through their checks came back with nothing. But they said to try other or different key. My wife uses #2, I use #1. So I tried my key and omg it actually worked it shifts smooth and silky. Turns out my wife is a much more aggressive driver when pulling out and starting from a stop. So now she uses her key and I use mine... problem solved. I was wondering how she was going through tires so fast...

Reactions: jefferson88
#14 ·
My wife "stabs" the gas and brake pedal and can jerk the steering wheel when driving for an erratic ride for the passenger sometimes. The hybrid powertrain and electronic dampers really help smooth that out compared to our previous non-hybrid vehicles.

#15 ·
My wife "stabs" the gas and brake pedal and can jerk the steering wheel when driving for an erratic ride for the passenger sometimes. The hybrid powertrain and electronic dampers really help smooth that out compared to our previous non-hybrid vehicles.
My fathers friend drives his lease QX60 like that. Never felt sooo car sick from a car ride. And was also the most scariest ride ever too. I just don't understand why people drive like this honestly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.