Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2017 MDX vs 2017 GMC Acadia Denali AWD

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  p07r0457 
#1 ·
I'm ready to buy my next SUV and am stuck between the 2017 MDX & Acadia Denali AWD. I test drove them both and they both ride very good. The GMC is about $6K cheaper has a better display, two sun roofs and has more room for passengers. The MDX looks a little nicer on the inside and can tow 1000lbs more, and has a little bit more cargo room.

I owned an Acura several years back and was very happy with it but the GMC seems to be a better buy in this case. I do not plan on selling it so resale value doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I always keep our cars until they kill over. Also, this vehicle will mainly be a commute vehicle to work and our family vehicle is still a older much larger vehicle. I just wanted something that could carry all the kids if need be.

Any advice? I am looking to buy in the next few days. Thanks!

Phil

#2 ·
Since you keep the vehicles so long, I would get the one you like best, best suits your needs, and can afford. My initial reaction is that the Acura (a Honda) would be much more dependable, but I know nothing of the dependability of the newer GM vehicles.

Given the differences you mentioned, are you going to be hauling more people or cargo, and doing much towing? I've had four MDXs, and I have stayed with the MDX for cargo area, comfort, and value. While I used to drive GMC Yukons before switching to the MDX, I have never shopped the Acadia.

#3 ·
My previous vehicle was a GMC Sierra Denali. I think GMC body-on-frame trucks are fantastic, and I'd buy another in a heartbeat. However, I think their unibody vehicles still cannot match the Japanese options.

I briefly looked at -- but could not seriously consider -- the GMC Acadia. I know it will not last as long as the Acura MDX, nor will it be as reliable. Resale value is a big deal, to me, but it sounds like it's not a concern to you, and that's fine. But do keep in mind that the Acadia is loathed within the mechanic community for its many and frequent problems as well as the difficulty in working on it. The 3.6L engine, suspension, and overall durability of parts over time seem to be the biggest problems.

As a lease, if GMC were subventing the residual/MF then I'd say the Acadia may be a better value.
As a purchase -- especially if you want to keep a vehicle for a long time -- Acura runs circles around GMC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.