Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 MDX had an accident and the transmission got damaged. I bought another transmission that was shipped down to me since I live outside US. With the new transmission, the vehicle cannot start, and I was told that it needs reprogramming for the vehicle to start with the new transmission.
I am confused with this, is the normal after transmission change?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Newer vehicles have many components that are integrated into the ECM and when changed the ECM has to be programmed to accept that new component because the new component has a different computer "signature" than the previous one even if it was an identical part. It's all about the manufacturers driving business back to the dealers and making it harder for independent shops to work on cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Newer vehicles have many components that are integrated into the ECM and when changed the ECM has to be programmed to accept that new component because the new component has a different computer "signature" than the previous one even if it was an identical part. It's all about the manufacturers driving business back to the dealers and making it harder for independent shops to work on cars.
Thank you. I appreciate your response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts