Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
From history, I'm betting they did the driver memory reset. Once it learns your habits again, it will probably be back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
From history, I'm betting they did the driver memory reset. Once it learns your habits again, it will probably be back.
Oh No, hopefully that’s not the case. If it got worse after learning driver’s habits, why would they even allow the transmission to learn it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
yes it will start again
So software updates does not help at all? How long is it going to take for the transmission to learn the driver’s behavior? I did reset ECU myself following the way like holding gas 30 seconds when engine not turning on and all that, didn’t notice any improvement though, I am hoping this is better due to the software updates or the way I reset the ECU never worked!

·
Registered
258 Posts
So what software update they did . Is there TSB for it .
I have 17 also with same issues .
Dealer told me it will get better overtime as transmission learns

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So what software update they did . Is there TSB for it .
I have 17 also with same issues .
Dealer told me it will get better overtime as transmission learns
They just said software update, didn’t mention details. How is your transmission now? Getting batter over time or you just accepted and ignored it?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just accepted it and moved on . They did ECU reset and told me to do transmission fluid flush which should be due in few months.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Zf9 is not a smooth transmission.
To improve my zf9 behavior, my dealer worked on tourque converter, they changed how they lock the system so i wont shift rough in low gears still not that great but better

·
Registered
11 Posts
Zf9 is not a smooth transmission.
To improve my zf9 behavior, my dealer worked on tourque converter, they changed how they lock the system so i wont shift rough in low gears still not that great but better
Had my 17 serviced at 51,000, just as the computer said to, no change.
The 9 spd is ok until you are in traffic, probably running warmer than normal, then “occasionally” you get a head snapping shift.
It’s something you live with.
My wife bought a 20 RDX with the 10 spd, much better transmission. RDX not my first choice!
The MDX is certainly not the luxury cross over people think it is.
I’m not a hater, it’s reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 that does this too and my sister in law has the 2017 - same as you. I've had all of the above, flush, update software, etc. It'll get better for a bit but goes right back to the very hard shift. I believe they see it a LOT and know about it but haven't been able to fix it. It's our third Acura - love pretty much everything else about the car but it'll be our last. This one just doesn't drive like they used to.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Update: after dealer updated the software and reset EUI, so far I can tell the transmission is smoother, hopefully it’s going to last. Knock on the wood.
Update: after dealer updated the software and reset EUI, so far I can tell the transmission is smoother, hopefully it’s going to last. Knock on the wood.
They updated the software they told you there was no software update for your car. cool

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a '17 a few months ago and had the same problem as well. It was a higher mileage MDX with about 55k miles on it. I brought it to the dealer and they gave it a once over and said it was fine... Are the 18's supposed to have better transmissions?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am the owner of 2015 model, and we have the 6 spd, but I am also experiencing the harsh shift at low gear, but it only happens in stop and go traffic, if I accelerate it all the way to 50/60 mph, it's very smooth. Dealer flushed my transmission, also changed the torque converter, no help.
I got a 2018 SH-AWD got the same problem. Brought in to the dealer couple of times and was told that they don’t have the updated software yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Andy, I just dropped my car at this dealer today, the technician said the rough shift is normal to 2017 MDX, but they will still send a snapshot to Acura for diagnosis. When slowly accelerate from 1-2, it is really jerky at around 2000 rpm. Both me and the technician’s head were moved forward while it was shifting. I don’t know how they think it is “normal”. I also caught the technician tried to let go the gas a little bit to indicate transmission to shift a bit earlier to get a smoother shift and try to tell me the transmission wasn’t that bad. I told him not doing it, just tap on gas and let the transmission do the shift, then the jerkiness came back. I have asked them to update any software that could improve the jerkiness, they said there were no software updates and I mentioned there were TSB mentioned similar problem, then they said the symptoms are different than my car. They may just reset ECU and give a shot, let’s see what they find out during snapshot later today.
my is a 2018 and got the same problem. I notice the jerkiness right after I had my car for about a month. So I brought it to the dealer several times and was told The same thing that they don’t have the new update software and There’s nothing they can do about it except waiting for the new update softwares.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
my is a 2018 and got the same problem. I notice the jerkiness right after I had my car for about a month. So I brought it to the dealer several times and was told The same thing that they don’t have the new update software and There’s nothing they can do about it except waiting for the new update softwares.
I think they just reset the ECU and smooth it out, then sold it to you.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I got a 2018 SH-AWD got the same problem. Brought in to the dealer couple of times and was told that they don’t have the updated software yet.
Ya, at the meantime of fixing my car, they provided me 2 loaner cars, one 19 TLX A-spec, I had it for atleast a month, while the TLX has the 9 spd but same engine, I did find the driving experience is smoother than my MDX, the jerkness is still there, but lighter.

·
Registered
460 Posts
And now, I just chose to live with it, plus I disabled the VCM, it smooth it out a bit. I don't have complaints on the highway use, but just stop and go traffic.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts