Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had very good luck with Michelin Latitude HP all season tires. About 60k miles on original set. 35k on replacements so far and still plenty of tread. Got a good deal at Costco

·
Registered
532 Posts
On the issue of low profile tires, not only are they rougher riding and more prone to tire and rim damage, they also have lower load ratings. Of course this is a disadvantage for towing, but it also affects how heavily the MDX is loaded (if you're paying attention, that is). Also, aftermarket rims often have lower load ratings, as well as being difficult to find with the proper offset.

As with other tire threads there is a lack of consideration about weather conditions. If you are going to be dealing with winter conditions but don't want to deal with specialized winter tires there are some great options now available, in the all-weather (not all-season) category. These are tires that perform as all-season tires most of the year, and also perform as an average winter tire with the Severe Service (mountain/snowflake logo). I have about a decade of experience with the excellent Nokian WR tires, and this past winter with the Goodyear WeatherReady tires. Not only do they perform exceptionally in winter conditions, they meet the legal requirements for traction tires in states that require them. Here in Oregon traction tires or chains are required when the passes are in snow. Most of the major tire manufacturers now offer all-weather tires, although I personally can just vouch for the Nokian and Goodyear brands.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased a used MDX in great condition... except for the tires. The worn tires on the vehicle are Continental Cross Contact LX Sport, which will cost me about $1000 to replace. Online I come up with a Bridgestone DriveGuard tire as compatible, and it has lots of good ratings. Those will save me $150 + installation cost. Do you think it's important to stick with the original tire? Thanks for any input!
No I wouldn’t necessarily stick with OEM. By chance, my tire dealer hasn’t a set of Yokohama Geolander H/T
Just purchased a used MDX in great condition... except for the tires. The worn tires on the vehicle are Continental Cross Contact LX Sport, which will cost me about $1000 to replace. Online I come up with a Bridgestone DriveGuard tire as compatible, and it has lots of good ratings. Those will save me $150 + installation cost. Do you think it's important to stick with the original tire? Thanks for any input!
I put a set of Yokohama Geolander H/T G056 on my 2014 and they are absolutely the best tires I’ve ever purchased. I have 50 K miles on them and they still have a crazy amount of tread left on them. I’m from western PA where conventional wisdom is they wear out after 30 K due to bad roads and hills. They ride very well, handle very well for a crossover, and highly recommended. In 30+ years living in this region I’ve never had a better, long lasting set of tires. Liked them so much I put Yokohama’s on my Lexus IS 250 and definitely improved the ride and hope to get similar treadwear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I own a 2nd generation 2007 MDX with over 210,000 miles. The first three sets of tires were all Continental Cross Contact LX20, 255/55-18 and they each lasted over 60,000 miles. The ride was smooth and comfortable and they wore evenly. I was pleased with them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Michelin LTX m/s2 are highly recommended. I have 30,000 miles on these tires, which are on a 2015 MDX (245 55R19). The tire still look new and are far superior to Continental OEM tires. I paid $790 for a set including mounting, balancing and sales tax.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
My '12 came with the Michelin Latitude Tour HP's which I tossed after about 20k miles. Loud, terrible wear, and terrible in the snow. Glad the '18 came with the Continentals which have been pretty decent so far through 20k miles. Decided to install winter tires this year (which was probably a mistake.....) and when I removed the Continentals I noticed two of the tires have pea-sized or smaller chunks missing in several spots of the tread. Not sure what that's about but they may have to be replaced prematurely.

One thing I will say about the winter tires I bought (Continental VikingContact) is that they're by-far the best I've ever used when the roads are dry/warm. These feel as good as any all-season even with temps in the 60's and they're super quiet and handle great. They blast through water like nothing but we've had no winter to speak of this year. Yet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just upgraded from the OEM contis( with under 50k miles) to Micheline Premier LTX ( which replaced the latitudes) and although they haven't broken in yet, they are MUCH quieter and seem to handle quite a bit better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Having tried various michelins on cars, I've not been impressed. Generally noisy, not great tread life, and no better traction than comparable or lower priced tires. At least for the performance tires, which is what I tend towards. Now for truck LT LRE tires, I've been impressed with Michelin. And Michelin studless winter tires seem to get good reviews for traction.
I USE MICHELIN ON ALL OUR VEHICLES I NORMALLY BUY WHEN THEY HAVE 70.00 REBATE WITH 70000MILE PRORATE HAD TO BEAT ALL WEATHER RADIAL.❤ 2MDX'S 1GMC 2500HD 1VW BEATLE!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I USE MICHELIN ON ALL OUR VEHICLES I NORMALLY BUY WHEN THEY HAVE 70.00 REBATE WITH 70000MILE PRORATE HAD TO BEAT ALL WEATHER RADIAL.❤ 2MDX'S 1GMC 2500HD 1VW BEATLE!
Out of curiosity, where are you located? In the mid west we have a big problem with Michelin's rubber compounds dry rotting as early as 2-3 years.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Glad the '18 came with the Continentals which have been pretty decent so far through 20k miles. Decided to install winter tires this year (which was probably a mistake.....) and when I removed the Continentals I noticed two of the tires have pea-sized or smaller chunks missing in several spots of the tread. Not sure what that's about but they may have to be replaced prematurely.
I noticed small pitting in the tread on all four tires (OEM 20" Continentals). I'm at 35k miles and it's fairly widespread. Still lots of tread left so I will monitor it, but at this point the condition doesn't warrant replacement in my opinion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had very good luck with Michelin Latitude HP all season tires. About 60k miles on original set. 35k on replacements so far and still plenty of tread. Got a good deal at Costco
I get all my tires from Costco too, of all the tire places where I live Costco has the best warranty by far over any other shop. Usually I buy Bridgestone because they last longer than Michelin, but I didn't know that Acura was for some reason not real happy with Bridgestone tires, they make a lot of noise in that car, whereas Michelin are more quieter, but now I have to wait for the Bridgestones to wear out before I can switch.

I can't figure out is why when I used Bridgestone on any of my other cars in the past they never made that much noise, in fact I could hardly even hear the tires, but Acura for some reason makes a lot of noise on those tires, and they really sing loudly on concrete that has the rain grooves cut into them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I get all my tires from Costco too, of all the tire places where I live Costco has the best warranty by far over any other shop. Usually I buy Bridgestone because they last longer than Michelin, but I didn't know that Acura was for some reason not real happy with Bridgestone tires, they make a lot of noise in that car, whereas Michelin are more quieter, but now I have to wait for the Bridgestones to wear out before I can switch.

I can't figure out is why when I used Bridgestone on any of my other cars in the past they never made that much noise, in fact I could hardly even hear the tires, but Acura for some reason makes a lot of noise on those tires, and they really sing loudly on concrete that has the rain grooves cut into them.
it may not be bridgestone in general but the tread pattern and specific tire. I've found that tire noise, or lack thereoff, is specific to a given tire, not a given brand. I've had tires from michelin, toyo, continental, goodyear that some have been very noisy some very quite.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Were the other cars SUVs? Tires, even in the same product line, can have different treads in the SUV sizes - usually a more aggressive, larger cleat designs.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I want to get the Michelin LTXs, but I'm reading several bad reviews on treadler on tire Kingdom. and other reviews. Have they improved the wear? other options for a '17 SH AWD?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've used LTX Michelins on my trucks for many years. For a truck towing, they have been a good tire, although I have never gotten more than 35K miles out of a set. But for use on a 3/4 ton truck and towing I liked them. That said, IMHO I would NEVER use them on my MDX. they are a LT tire for towing etc. They are NOT a performance tire, they are not as quite as many other tires. Now mine were all LRE (80psi) so I'm sure that had an effect on ride quality and noise, so a lower LR might be better.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I want to get the Michelin LTXs, but I'm reading several bad reviews on treadler on tire Kingdom. and other reviews. Have they improved the wear? other options for a '17 SH AWD?
It makes no sense to ask for tire recommendations without describing how/where and in what conditions they are going to be used, and what your preferences are for performance and treadwear, If you live in LA and want a summer performance tire that is one thing, and a tire for occasional winter driving is quite another. There are many tires that fit the MDX - it just depends what you are looking for. Details please?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts