Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a used MDX in great condition... except for the tires. The worn tires on the vehicle are Continental Cross Contact LX Sport, which will cost me about $1000 to replace. Online I come up with a Bridgestone DriveGuard tire as compatible, and it has lots of good ratings. Those will save me $150 + installation cost. Do you think it's important to stick with the original tire? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Not important to stick with original tires, but the DriveGuard is a run-flat, so I suspect you won't like the ride nor the tire life. You didn't post what your tire size is or your car model and since different MDX's come with different size wheels it's not safe to guess and tire availability varies widely based on size. Having been in the tire biz I can't stress enough the value of talking to a local tire pro and telling them your primary desires for your tires. Some people want sporty handling while others was a very smooth ride, some great wet traction while someone in Phoenix, Palm Springs, or Las Vegas see so little rain that wet traction isn't a major factor. I am most familiar with Continental/General and GoodYear, but even within those brands there are tires I wouldn't recommend because every brand has a lemon or two. Those OEM tires have NO treadlife warranty which pretty much tells you they are geared toward performance. With the tire size and a bit more information I can give you several suggestions that will be a far better value than the tires that are on it now.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I too have a '17 Advance with 245/50/20 that will need tires soon. High performance driving is not on the agenda so good tread life, quiet ride, and decent wet traction would be qualities I'd look for. Anything in the Conti or GY that would fill that role?

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you go to a 265/45/R20 the Conti DWS-06 is available. I've used the DWS-06 on my MB 420 for a long time. It is a very quite tire, good dry, wet traction and when new pretty good in light snow/ice. I started with the DWS when years ago, then they upgraded to the DWS-06. In total I've gone through 3 set, and when the MDX needs a new set of shoes I'm tempted to go with the DWS-06. And they are competatively priced. IIRC they have a 50-60K tread wear warranty. Now I've never ever gotten claimed tread wear out of any tire. (must be the way I drive!) typical tread life for me on a car or truck is the 25-30K miles regardless. On the DWS it's been 30-35K, but discount/Americas tire has been good about tread wear warranty coverage.

And if you go to the 265/45/20 there are MANY more tires to choose from compare to the 245/50/20 selection. The 265/45/20 is slightly smaller diameter (like 0.5" or less) than the 245/50. The 265/45/20 is what is on the A spec option. One issue may be rim width. The 265/45/20 recomended rim widht is usually listed as 8.5-10 inches, although seems like there have been a fair number of MDX'rs that have run the 265/45 on an 8" rim.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I too have a '17 Advance with 245/50/20 that will need tires soon. High performance driving is not on the agenda so good tread life, quiet ride, and decent wet traction would be qualities I'd look for. Anything in the Conti or GY that would fill that role?
The suggestion to go to 265/45/20 for the Conti DWS06 isn't a horrible one as that is a great tire, but that is geared more toward delivering a sporty ride/handling. The 45 sidewall is shorter than the 50 sidewall which will stiffen the ride and make every crack in the pavement even more pronounced. In the 245/50/20 size there is a monster value in the General Altimax RT43. General, being a division of Continental, gets all of the Continental engineering without the price tag and it gets a 65K treadlife warranty. Tirerack.com has them for $120.99 a tire and if I didn't already know it was a great tire (has won numerous awards over the last several years) I might be suspicious why the price is so low. Based on your description of qualities desired you can only spend more money, but you can't buy a better tire. I just put a set of these on my wife's Honda Odyssey last week. Super smooth, very quiet, and excellent wet traction.

P.S. I am not advertising for TireRack. I simply use them as a good source for availability and an idea of pricing. I much prefer to buy from a local source and find that they will typically match or beat the price as well as provide local service such as free rotations after the sale.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Michelins are a great alternative. Personally I have been using Yokahamas on my last two vehicles. Good prices, quiet ride, and decent longevity. Pick a tire based on use, price, and your driving style.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Michelins are a great alternative. Personally I have been using Yokahamas on my last two vehicles. Good prices, quiet ride, and decent longevity. Pick a tire based on use, price, and your driving style.
Having been in the tire biz I can tell you in most cases I can beat the price of a Michelin by 30% and get just as good a tire if not better. Environment compatibility is also an issue for Michelin. Here in the mid west we see a lot of dry rot as soon as 2-3 years with Michelin's rubber compounds.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The suggestion to go to 265/45/20 for the Conti DWS06 isn't a horrible one as that is a great tire, but that is geared more toward delivering a sporty ride/handling. The 45 sidewall is shorter than the 50 sidewall which will stiffen the ride and make every crack in the pavement even more pronounced. In the 245/50/20 size there is a monster value in the General Altimax RT43. General, being a division of Continental, gets all of the Continental engineering without the price tag and it gets a 65K treadlife warranty. Tirerack.com has them for $120.99 a tire and if I didn't already know it was a great tire (has won numerous awards over the last several years) I might be suspicious why the price is so low. Based on your description of qualities desired you can only spend more money, but you can't buy a better tire. I just put a set of these on my wife's Honda Odyssey last week. Super smooth, very quiet, and excellent wet traction.

P.S. I am not advertising for TireRack. I simply use them as a good source for availability and an idea of pricing. I much prefer to buy from a local source and find that they will typically match or beat the price as well as provide local service such as free rotations after the sale.
I agree with you on the disavantage/advantage of lower profile. It can be either a curse or blessing depending on what's important to you. One disadvantage other than ride/handling issues is the increased likelyhood of a bent rim or blowout from chuckholes etc. what could be just a anoying thump with a 65/70 series tire can turn into a real jolt with 50 series and a blowout or dinged rim on a 45/40 series. The General tire sounds like a good one to look at, definitely less expensive the the DWS and a good treadlife.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Having been in the tire biz I can tell you in most cases I can beat the price of a Michelin by 30% and get just as good a tire if not better. Environment compatibility is also an issue for Michelin. Here in the mid west we see a lot of dry rot as soon as 2-3 years with Michelin's rubber compounds.
Having tried various michelins on cars, I've not been impressed. Generally noisy, not great tread life, and no better traction than comparable or lower priced tires. At least for the performance tires, which is what I tend towards. Now for truck LT LRE tires, I've been impressed with Michelin. And Michelin studless winter tires seem to get good reviews for traction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not important to stick with original tires, but the DriveGuard is a run-flat, so I suspect you won't like the ride nor the tire life. You didn't post what your tire size is or your car model and since different MDX's come with different size wheels it's not safe to guess and tire availability varies widely based on size. Having been in the tire biz I can't stress enough the value of talking to a local tire pro and telling them your primary desires for your tires. Some people want sporty handling while others was a very smooth ride, some great wet traction while someone in Phoenix, Palm Springs, or Las Vegas see so little rain that wet traction isn't a major factor. I am most familiar with Continental/General and GoodYear, but even within those brands there are tires I wouldn't recommend because every brand has a lemon or two. Those OEM tires have NO treadlife warranty which pretty much tells you they are geared toward performance. With the tire size and a bit more information I can give you several suggestions that will be a far better value than the tires that are on it now.
Thanks for the detailed response. The current tires are the Continental CrossContact LX Sport 245/50R20. Smooth ride, traction, and reliability would be my priorities. Glad to know that the DriveGuard isn't the right thing. You mention the General Altimax RT43 as a good option. Is this the one? https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX RT43 (H- or V-Speed Rated)&partnum=45HR0AMRT43XL I like the price and the reviews!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response. The current tires are the Continental CrossContact LX Sport 245/50R20. Smooth ride, traction, and reliability would be my priorities. Glad to know that the DriveGuard isn't the right thing. You mention the General Altimax RT43 as a good option. Is this the one? https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX RT43 (H- or V-Speed Rated)&partnum=45HR0AMRT43XL I like the price and the reviews!
I have a set of the Altimax RT43 on my 2017 now for over 20,000 miles. They are as quiet as the Continental LX, great in the rain and not bad in the snow. They have 9/32 tread left, run them at 37 lbs cold. I would buy them again, they should last 40 to 50,000 miles total, only got about 36,000 out of the Continental LX. I think for the $$ they are the best buyout there.

·
Registered
578 Posts
That's the one. Not in the tire biz anymore, but sold a crap ton of them and never a complaint. Like I said, it all boils down to the features that are important to you. That tire will provide a softer, smoother ride than the CrossContact LX Sport, but if that's not your style you might not like it. With tires every feature that is built into the engineering is done at the expense of something else. Super grippy summer tires give up treadwear life, smooth & luxurious gives up handling and vice versa. That's why I always advocate consulting a local tire expert. They know how to pick a tire based on your hot buttons and your local weather/road types. Asphalt mixes vary quite a bit depending on what part of the country you live in and some rubber compounds work better than others based on those factors. Honestly I had no idea how valuable a good tire guy was until I spent time in the business as I had been researching and picking my tires via online reviews for years. I had already learned to ignore reviews when the tires weren't on a vehicle similar to mine, but didn't fully understand all the other factors that go into picking a tire. Pulling the 245/50/20 size on TireRack gives 48 tire choices and even just sticking to "touring" tires there are still 34 tires to choose from. GoodYear offers their WeatherReady tire in that size which is a tremendous tire, but at double the price of the Altimax RT43 it would be hard to justify with the exception of someone getting significant snow and wanting to avoid having to add a dedicated set of snow tires to the mix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's the one. Not in the tire biz anymore, but sold a crap ton of them and never a complaint. Like I said, it all boils down to the features that are important to you. That tire will provide a softer, smoother ride than the CrossContact LX Sport, but if that's not your style you might not like it. With tires every feature that is built into the engineering is done at the expense of something else. Super grippy summer tires give up treadwear life, smooth & luxurious gives up handling and vice versa. That's why I always advocate consulting a local tire expert. They know how to pick a tire based on your hot buttons and your local weather/road types. Asphalt mixes vary quite a bit depending on what part of the country you live in and some rubber compounds work better than others based on those factors. Honestly I had no idea how valuable a good tire guy was until I spent time in the business as I had been researching and picking my tires via online reviews for years. I had already learned to ignore reviews when the tires weren't on a vehicle similar to mine, but didn't fully understand all the other factors that go into picking a tire. Pulling the 245/50/20 size on TireRack gives 48 tire choices and even just sticking to "touring" tires there are still 34 tires to choose from. GoodYear offers their WeatherReady tire in that size which is a tremendous tire, but at double the price of the Altimax RT43 it would be hard to justify with the exception of someone getting significant snow and wanting to avoid having to add a dedicated set of snow tires to the mix.
Really appreciate the input.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Copy: "Having been in the tire biz I can tell you in most cases I can beat the price of a Michelin by 30% and get just as good a tire if not better. Environment compatibility is also an issue for Michelin. Here in the mid west we see a lot of dry rot as soon as 2-3 years with Michelin's rubber compounds."

Michelins are known for this and have been for years. Supposedly the surface cracks do not affect state auto inspections but this has always perplexed me about Michelins, and have seen this for myself through the years. Why does this still happen in our modern age?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Copy: "Having been in the tire biz I can tell you in most cases I can beat the price of a Michelin by 30% and get just as good a tire if not better. Environment compatibility is also an issue for Michelin. Here in the mid west we see a lot of dry rot as soon as 2-3 years with Michelin's rubber compounds."

Michelins are known for this and have been for years. Supposedly the surface cracks do not affect state auto inspections but this has always perplexed me about Michelins, and have seen this for myself through the years. Why does this still happen in our modern age?
Honestly can't say I know, but it is an easy way to sell against them. For high mileage drivers, say 20K+ a year, they often go through them fast enough it isn't an issue. That still doesn't negate the fact that with a bit of due diligence you can get a very comparable if not better tire for significantly less money with rare exceptions. I often get friends and family asking for a tire recommendation and I always tell them I have to look up the specific size before I'll know. It's wild how much the price point for a tire in one size will vary vs another size and I'm always looking for the most bang for the buck along with the specific criteria the buyer is looking for. Add in all of the big chains with their exclusive models that you won't see inside the normal channels and that adds to the complexity. Another reason why a good tire guy is worth a lot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a set of the Altimax RT43 on my 2017 now for over 20,000 miles. They are as quiet as the Continental LX, great in the rain and not bad in the snow. They have 9/32 tread left, run them at 37 lbs cold. I would buy them again, they should last 40 to 50,000 miles total, only got about 36,000 out of the Continental LX. I think for the $$ they are the best buyout there.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I suffer here in the Northeast, with bad roads and a very punishing ride in my MDX. I was hoping to get a better ride with Michelins when it comes time to replace, because they have a good rep as far as ride quality. Not too thrilled with the OEM Conti's. Poor snow performance, but not willing to use snow tires. Tread is at around 5 or 6/32, so they're past half-way. Conti's not as quiet as they used to be but most tires get noisier as they wear. These are 20's, by the way.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I suffer here in the Northeast, with bad roads and a very punishing ride in my MDX. I was hoping to get a better ride with Michelins when it comes time to replace, because they have a good rep as far as ride quality. Not too thrilled with the OEM Conti's. Poor snow performance, but not willing to use snow tires. Tread is at around 5 or 6/32, so they're past half-way. Conti's not as quiet as they used to be but most tires get noisier as they wear. These are 20's, by the way.
Whatever you do don't lump all Conti's (nor Michelin's for that matter) into the same basket. The CrossContact LX Sport for example is a far different tire than the CrossContact LX 25 as an example. The LX Sport gets no treadwear warranty while the LX 25 gets 70K. The LX Sport is designed to deliver crisp handling while the LX 25 is designed to be smooth and comfortable. The LX 25 and Altimax RT43 could be considered sister tires and IMO are pretty much equal except for paying more for the Conti simply for the name, and there's no way they are worth the $75 per tire extra. For a smooth ride I would put the Altimax RT43 up against either of the Michelin choices any day and save you over $100 a tire.

·
Registered
20 Posts
OEM tires are continental lx sport and micheline latitute tour hp. acura chose these ones for reasons. i think they chose these tires for comfort, quiteness and handling but they lack in thread life. and they are more expensive than others and i don't think it is worth extra. there are tires that are similar but maybe unnoticible performance difference with better priced tires out there.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts