Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 2017 AWD Advance. Fantastic vehicle, except for one relatively minor but annoying issue- At 70+ mph, subtle vibrations can be felt in the seats. Been to the dealer multiple times. Initially the vibrations were quite noticeable and noisy. First time they replaced all four Continental tires with brand new ones. While the vibrations got much better, the subtle vibrations still exist. The dealer has used road force balancing and all tires are balanced. Drove another 2017 AWD today on the same roadways as a comparison and there were no vibrations. Next step is to order Michelin Premier LTXs and see if this fixes it.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues either with the 2017 or the Continental Tires. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 with Continental tires has a not so subtle vibration. It happens between 40 and 60 mph. It starts during steady speed driving and increases gradually. Finally the vibration suddenly stops and the tach jumps 200 rpm and back. This cycle repeats as long as the speed is in that range and steady.

I did some searching and convinced myself my issue is VCM related. I will take this to my dealer at the 5000 mile service.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I had the Michelin Premier LTXs installed today. Unfortunately the subtle vibration problem still exists.

What/How would this be related to the VCM? I'm thinking of next steps- replacing the wheels or something else?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same issue on my 14 tech. Turns out it was a bad engine mount. With a bad engine mount you can feel the vibration from the VCM. Engine mount shouldn't go bad that quickly so it makes me think the mount was installed incorrectly (maybe over torqued) leading to premature failure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Recently purchased a 2017 AWD Advance. Fantastic vehicle, except for one relatively minor but annoying issue- At 70+ mph, subtle vibrations can be felt in the seats. Been to the dealer multiple times. Initially the vibrations were quite noticeable and noisy. First time they replaced all four Continental tires with brand new ones. While the vibrations got much better, the subtle vibrations still exist. The dealer has used road force balancing and all tires are balanced. Drove another 2017 AWD today on the same roadways as a comparison and there were no vibrations. Next step is to order Michelin Premier LTXs and see if this fixes it.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues either with the 2017 or the Continental Tires. Thanks.
I know it's been a couple of years, but did you get better results when you switched out the tires to Michelin?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2017 with Continental tires has a not so subtle vibration. It happens between 40 and 60 mph. It starts during steady speed driving and increases gradually. Finally the vibration suddenly stops and the tach jumps 200 rpm and back. This cycle repeats as long as the speed is in that range and steady.

I did some searching and convinced myself my issue is VCM related. I will take this to my dealer at the 5000 mile service.
Any luck when you took it back to the dealer for the VCM?

·
Registered
389 Posts
This issue smells of warped rotors. Ask the dealer to check rotor runout (with a dial indicator) and you might find that your front rotors are warped. Know that if they are, and if they suggest that rotors be cut to straighten, that making them thinner by cutting also makes them more prone to warp in the future. Probably a good set of aftermarket rotors should be considered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your feedback. I'll keep the story short... Purchased back on June 7th this 2017 MDX w/36K miles as a CPO. After several attempts reaching out to the selling dealer with no responses, I got Acura Client Relations involved. For the first few months, ACR dragged and dragged it. After I threaten to go to social media and my attorney is when a miracle occurred, the selling dealer reached out! The selling dealer (two weeks ago) replaced the two front rotors and pads and replaced all four tires as well. Since two weeks ago, I've had the tires re-balanced four times as well as repaired two rims that were bent. The slight back & forth of the steering wheel occurs between 55-60 MPH and after that goes away. It's driving me crazy... I'm not new to Acura nor Honda, this MDX is my third Acura and total fifth vehicle Honda product (and I'm not counting lawnmowers) Thanks again for your response, and if you have any other suggestions my ears are open!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts