Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace the tires on my new MDX hybrid.

I currently have 20" wheels (245-50-20). I was wondering if I would be able to fit (275-45-20) on the advance rims.

Based on the tire calculator, this will be as close to OEM but I do not know about real world application.

Any advice, experience or insight? see attached for the tire calculation.

Thank you!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Dig a bit deeper. Overall diameter may be similar, but you might have clearance problems going to a tire 3cm wider. I see no benefit other than style. Fuel economy may take a hit, steering effort may increase, and performance in rain and snow may be degraded.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
What about the ride by going to a lower profile tire? I guess I’d ask the OP why. This is an SUV not a sports car. What would be the point?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
only reason why I am asking is because I love the continental DWS06 tires and i've used them for all my sedans. With the OEM wheels, the tire selection is very slim and they aren't great tires. I definitely do not want to go to a lower profile tire if I do not need to.

What tires do you guys recommend for ultra performance all season tires?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
only reason why I am asking is because I love the continental DWS06 tires and i've used them for all my sedans. With the OEM wheels, the tire selection is very slim and they aren't great tires. I definitely do not want to go to a lower profile tire if I do not need to.

What tires do you guys recommend for ultra performance all season tires?
I've gone with Conti DWS and now Conti DWS 06 on my TSX, RDX, and MDX. These tires support the way I drive perfectly in the southwest (extremely hot summers, near freezing temps in winters, occasional heavy rain/snow storms, snowy/icy mountains, hwy speeds of 80-85 mph, less road noise at any treadwear level, maxing out sh-awd in corners, etc....). I upgraded my 11 MDX to 20" Conti DWS 06 and I would do exactly the same upgrade as you if I had a +17 sh-sh-awd MDX.

·
Registered
281 Posts
DWS 06 does have it in 255/50 if you are into it that much

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will 255/50-20 be a much better fit than the 275/45-20? As long as I could use the tire and everything stays within OEM limits. I do really like the big SUV with wide tires look\ though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm almost certain 255/50 will fit fine with the OEM rims and wheel opening.

As mentioned in couple posts above, the OEM Advance rims are 8" wide while the 275/45 Conti DSW 06 has a measured rim width of 9", with range of 8.5"-10". Clearly the rim width of the 275/45 tire is out of range for the wheel. Not to mention you might have steering problem up front. I would not consider this wide of a tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.