Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just took delivery of a new 2017 mdx advance hybrid this past saturday 10/28. All was fine while I drove it this weekend. Today, on my commute to work in NYC, after driving and hitting a few bumps on the road, I began to hear a clunking sound coming from the front passenger suspension? It sounds like some electrical equipment underneath the body is loose. On smooth road it doesn't make the sound but on a rougher road with more bumps and pot holes, you hear it loudly. I looked underneath the hood and car and everything seems to be tight.

Has anyone experienced this issue on their 2017 MDX hybrids? Is this normal?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome aboard. My Sport Hybrid does make some new sounds but they are normal electro mechanical motor relay pistons and things kind of sounds unique to the hybrid. Acura makes a note about that in the Owners Guide. A rattle is not a normal sound. This car is so very quiet you can hear everything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does the noise change with speed? It could be the shock mount. I was getting a clicking noise and it was loose bolts. You might be able to reproduce the sound by rocking the car at the front right wheel well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the noise change with speed? It could be the shock mount. I was getting a clicking noise and it was loose bolts. You might be able to reproduce the sound by rocking the car at the front right wheel well.
I'm not sure about this. I could try it to see if I could reproduce the sound while I am not driving.

Update: I drove the car again today and I could not reproduce the clunking sounds while going over bumps. It was raining yesterday and it made the sounds. I don't know if that matters but if I cannot reproduce the sounds dealer probably will not fix it. I will wait for it to happen again.

Going to go outside and rock the car to see if it does it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you found a solution? I have the same problem with my 2017 Sport hybrid. I started hearing the rattling noise about a month after I bought it. I have a long commute and I usually start hearing the noise about half-way through my drive. But, it doesn't happen every day.

I took it to the dealer and they kept if for two days. They checked the suspension and couldn't find anything wrong with it. It is really frustrating having to take a brand new car to the dealer. I will have to take it again but I'm waiting for it to rattle on my way home when I'll have time to take it. My MDX runs great and I love it when it's quite; but, when the rattling starts, it makes me regret my purchase.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just go the 2018 Sport hybrid, I got the same clunking noise coming from the front every time I hit a major bumps on NYC roads. Found out the engine plastic cover was not install correctly and was hitting some brackets under the cover. I just remove the cover and re-install the cover correctly. Make sure the metal pin on top of the engine is push into the rubber gourmets on the plastic cover.

·
Registered
723 Posts
my 2015 non-hybrid SH-AWD hits lots of small potholes on the way to work. Besides a stiff ride, the noises coming from it sound like an old beater pickup. I've written off any hopes of it ever being comfortable and quiet because the car is clearly over-sprung. I am hoping that adding a trailer hitch will add some weight that helps a little. Honda has clearly gone off track with the ride on the MDX. I was expecting it to be more like my Legends were as to comfort but it anything but that on city streets. Freeway is fine.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My 17's ride is really rough as well. Way too stiff. And the suspension does not sound or feel sophisticated enough for this class of vehicle. I just didn't notice it during my test drive prior to purchase. It was only after I lived with it afterward that I came to realize this. Too late now. I'm not real happy with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You might want to review your tire pressures. Even a pound or two could make a huge difference in ride feel. If the dealer slammed them up to max you may be riding on hockey pucks not air ;)

·
Registered
723 Posts
You might want to review your tire pressures. Even a pound or two could make a huge difference in ride feel. If the dealer slammed them up to max you may be riding on hockey pucks not air ;)

I am at 32 psi, factory is 35 psi. Using tire industry specs on weight, pressure, tire size and tire ratings it isn't really safer to go lower unless I start lowering the gross vehicle weight and speed. The 3 psi given up was the difference between something like 115% vs 100%. I have the math at home.

·
Registered
394 Posts

I've experimented with this myself. I found 30psi to give a noticeably better ride over bumps, and handling seemed unchanged. But the LTP system trips the warning at 29 psi, and this can happen in the morning after a cool night. So I run 32-33 cold, which gives me a bit of cushion against the warning. But after driving for a while, the heat generated gets it to 35. At least it's not higher than that, but it was really nice at 30. Had I been OK to keep 30, I would have kept an eye on outside tread wear, as this can happen when you run low. Don't even THINK about trying to lower the TPS warning trip point - there's not a corporate lawyer in the land that would permit messing with the warning system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts