Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Did any order this tire size from Tirerack in the past few months and receive it? I ordered mine around Thanksgiving and it's still on back order.
A couple options in size 165/90R17 are more cost effective and more readily available. Call Tire Rack or Discount Tire if you want to confirm fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
870 Posts
If you go with an aftermarket wheel, you will probably need different lug nuts for it, and you will have to keep track of them. Honda uses a ball seat lug and most aftermarket wheels take a cone seat lug. You can't mix and match or the wheel may fall off at an inconvenient time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I will have the same issue in getting a spare tire.

regular 20" wheel = 29.6 inch diameter
OEM tire size 165/80 R17 = 27.4 inch diameter
suggested tire size 165/90 R17 = 28.7 inch diameter

Tire sizes calculated with tiresize dot com (forum won't let post a link)

What Wanderlust suggested is closer to the diameter of my OEM wheel diameter than the OEM donut. So it will fit and it shouldn't throw off the SH-AWD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For anyone who has added a spare tire to their 2017 MDX with the above guidance, did you purchase the Kumho T121 or Kumho T131 tire (or something different)? Both are inexpensive but one has a different tread than the other. I am planning to buy from TireRack or DiscountTire online. Thanks!

·
Registered
870 Posts
I finally looked up what that "D" means in the tire size of the OEM spare and the Kumho T131. It's a bias ply tire vs the R radial tire. I'm not a tire pro and I don't have a clue why they make both types for spares. Please ask a tire pro for guidance if this concerns you.

"The R in the P225/50R16 91S size identifies that the tire has a Radial construction in which the tire's body plies "radiate" out from the imaginary center of the wheel. Radial tires are by far the most popular type of tire today representing over 98% of all tires sold.

If the R in the size was replaced with a D (225/50D16), it would identify that the internal tire body plies crisscross on a Diagonal and that the tire has a "bias ply" construction. Tires using this construction are for light truck and spare tire applications."

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46

·
Registered
52 Posts
For anyone who has added a spare tire to their 2017 MDX with the above guidance, did you purchase the Kumho T121 or Kumho T131 tire (or something different)? Both are inexpensive but one has a different tread than the other. I am planning to buy from TireRack or DiscountTire online. Thanks!
I purchased the Kumho T165/90R-17 Spare Tire T121. and installed it yesterday. To me it would make more sense to install the spare with the air valve facing downwards to check the air pressure but I installed it with the air valve facing up per the instructions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought 2018 FWD Tech MDX last week (Aug 2018) and then I realized that there is no spare or toolkit. Called dealer and he asked for 500 USD for the spare and the kit. I can see there are many options for 2011 to 2016 MDX. Could someone suggest best/cheap option for spare tire? This is what I found best:

1. acuraoemparts.com/oem-parts/acura-20-quot-spare-tire-kit-technology-06421tz5a51[/url] PLUS Tire (Need to find tire specs yet, kindly advise)

Above appears to be discontinued part but not sure why as it solves the purpose by spending less than 150

2. acurapartswarehouse.com/parts-list/2018-acura-mdx-5dr-tech-ka9at/temporary-wheel-kit.html[/url] (Total Cost 261 including shipping)

Would appreciate your help if you could provide suggestions with web links. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
90 Posts
The Kit (06421-TZ5-A51) comes with a 17" steel wheel with the 2017-2018 MDX bolt pattern. I just bought the compact spare online and had it mounted locally. Be careful not to buy the 2014-2016 kit as they have a different bolt pattern. My total cost was less than $200.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I chose to lose the spacesaver spare and go with a stock spare. I bought the wheel online, check Amazon and eBay - it seems there are a few folks that rip their OEM wheels off the car on the way home from the dealer and put on custom wheels. Also I found the right spare tire at a local Michelin dealer - strangely there are a lot of them around too. I then sold the old spacesaver in the Classified section here - there are often some listed there for those who don't have a spare at all.

Personally I dislike the spacesavers. They are not a great idea in snow and not adequate for towing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Noise caused by spare tire?

Lately I've been hearing a slight clunking noise coming from the rear of the car. My spare tire pressure was down to 40psi. I inflated it back to 60 psi and the noise seems to have disappeared.

The spare tire is connected to the car with a spring and cable. I'm wondering if the lower pressure tire creates some play between the tire and the underbody that causes this noise when going over bumps, etc.. Does anyone else have this experience?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
^^ Did you tighten the mount to see if there was any noticeable slop in it and to make sure it's tight?

There have been a few posts here from others with a loose spare causing some occasional noise - fixed up by just tightening the cable.

It's a good idea to check the pressure on the spare every now and then anyway since most people don't do that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I chose to lose the spacesaver spare and go with a stock spare. I bought the wheel online, check Amazon and eBay - it seems there are a few folks that rip their OEM wheels off the car on the way home from the dealer and put on custom wheels. Also I found the right spare tire at a local Michelin dealer - strangely there are a lot of them around too. I then sold the old spacesaver in the Classified section here - there are often some listed there for those who don't have a spare at all.

Personally I dislike the spacesavers. They are not a great idea in snow and not adequate for towing.
Hey I know this was a while back but wondering how much this cost you in total to get the wheel, tools, and balancing/mounting it?

Also... buying wheels on eBay/Amazon? Really? Seems a bit risky, no?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hey I know this was a while back but wondering how much this cost you in total to get the wheel, tools, and balancing/mounting it?

Also... buying wheels on eBay/Amazon? Really? Seems a bit risky, no?
IIRC the nearly unused wheel cost me $200, the nearly unused tire (Michelin) with a single puncture patch was $100 mounted from a Michelin dealer. I didn't need the tool kit as I was replacing a spacesaver spare, but definitely buy from http://oemacuraparts.com or similar online site. The tools with labels, etc, should be about $70 and the lift mechanism about $90.

I bought my wheel directly from an owner, IIRC on eBay. I would also look in the classifieds here, and put an ad there for "wanted". Both eBay and Amazon offer wheels from remanufacturers as well. These are professionals that salvage, test, and repair if needed. My preference would be to get one from an owner who was buying fancy aftermarket wheels, but the reman folks would probably be less risk. Either way works, as long as it can be returned within 30 days. This isn't rocket science: your tire dealer will be able to confirm the condition when you mount the tire.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.