Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, just found the forum while doing research to purchase a used 2017 SH-AWD with advance package. I have looked around on Edmunds and a few other places to get an idea of what I should be paying for the vehicle in my area. I am located in coastal North Carolina and there are a handful of dealers around me that have the vehicle available.

The lowest I have seen is 45111 with 14000 miles for a non-cpo. I have also seen a cpo at 45935 with approximately 19000 miles. There are a few other around that price range. I would appreciate some guidance before making an offer. Please feel free to ask my any questions you may have.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm in middle TN and the cheapest ask around here is 43k for an Advance w/24k mi at the local Porsche dealer. Local Acura dealer has one with 5k miles asking 52k (but they are very proud of their vehicles).

A few comments: 1) From my experience (I'm an old fart), I would expect to get at least 1-2k off an asking price, so offer would be 3-4k less than ask. 2) Better deal can usually be had at a non-Acura dealer, particularly if it has been sitting a few weeks. In 2006 I purchased an 05 at a GMC dealer for considerably less than an 04 with more miles at the Acura dealer. Years ago I called the local Porsche dealer who had a used MDX at what I thought was a good price, but they had sold it to the Acura dealer. 3) Don't worry as much about a CPO with as little miles on a 17. You have plenty of warranty left, and you can always buy an AcuraCare extended warranty at any time before original warranty expires. 4) I am skeptical, so I would find out why someone has traded a car with so few miles. Just don't want to get a recently repaired wrecked car. In the case of the 05 mentioned above, the folks determined the MDX was too small and they had traded for a Yukon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wsjr, I appreciate the feedback. The 45k one non-cpo is at a Mercedes/AMG dealership. It was a local trade from what I can gather. There is another one at 46.9k at the local BMW/Porsche dealership. My experience at the Acura dealership mimics yours, where they have one that is a service vehicle with 5k miles and they are asking around 51k for it and wouldn't budge.

Here is the offer I got from the MB/AMG dealership:

E-Price
$45,111.00
Doc Fee
$498.00
Cash Price
$45,609.00
NC Tax (3%)
$1,368.27
NC Tags
$108.00
Out The Door Price
$47,085.27

Make an offer at 44k OTD? Thank you.

·
Registered
894 Posts
If you have been searching the internet, I would email all three dealers, tell them you are ready to buy, looking at three vehicles, and ask for best price. I've usually dealt on the phone, but I recently helped my son buy a Subaru Forester and all dealings were done via email until we selected final dealer. In that instance he was looking for a 2017 and I contacted the four closest dealers. Only one would not provide price, and wanted us to come in. Turns out the nearest dealer didn't have any 2017s left, but sold him a 2018 for $500 more than best 2017 price. If you let the dealers know you are ready to buy, they generally get reasonable.

Also, as part of due diligence, if there are no service records, find out where the vehicle came from, and contact the Acura dealer. They are generally fine with providing service info. Also, ask for Carfax, service is often reported.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have emailed/talked/texted a few dealers around me. One won't budge from the asking price, which is also the lowest of all the ones around me. Trying to get it for $45k OTD for SH-AWD advance with 13k miles on it. Service record and history look good. Any feedback on whether this is a reasonable price? I don't need to squeeze every single penny out of the dealer, but I don't want to overpay either. Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up getting it from the BMW/Porsche dealer. Took a few back and forth messages, but I was able to purchase the MDX SH-AWD advance for $43998 +tax and TTL. The vehicle is in immaculate condition and has approximately 13600 miles on it. I went to the local Acura dealer and had them do a multi point inspection (free of charge as a courtesy) and also had them provide me all the service records. The car was originally bought locally at this Acura dealership.

I took a 1100 mile trip last weekend, and this thing drove like a dream. I have been driving a 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero, which is nice in its own right, but this thing is just absolutely amazing. Very quiet cabin and plenty of power. I will try to post a more comprehensive reivew once I have spent some more time with it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Congratulations. Good job on the $3,000 reduction from the asking price. They probably took it in on trade on an X5 and made a couple grand on the MDX, as well a mint on the X5. Glad you are enjoying the vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts