Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2017 MDX Advance and it came with running boards. I was wondering if I removed them do I need to buy the chrome trim back or is it under the running boards?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
For 2017+, if the chrome trimmed rocker is replaced by the side step, then yes, removal of the steps would require restoration of the rockers.

If 2014-2016 steps were installed (they fit), you would see both the chrome trimmed rockers and then a step underneath the rockers.

Aftermarket rockers may vary but usually follow the same scheme.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I just don't know if I like the running boards? Any views on the running boards? Pros and or Cons on them?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Most people say they get in the way, rub against your pants, and are too shallow for actual use. I agree but my wife actually uses them to get into the car (she 5'-0")

Visually, they add some heft to the side profile, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you again. I'm 6'3 and I feel like they get in the way. Making my exit of the vehicle awkward. They are a $700 accessory. I will think about it some more, only had it a week now. I bought it because of low miles and the Advance was hard to find by me.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Thank you again. I'm 6'3 and I feel like they get in the way. Making my exit of the vehicle awkward. They are a $700 accessory. I will think about it some more, only had it a week now. I bought it because of low miles and the Advance was hard to find by me.
I've seen some low cost rockers on ebay in case you want to go back to original. Some dealers also might have some in good condition in their inventory from owners that don't request them when they have them install steps. Once in a while i see them on craigslist or offerup as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is very helpful. Thank you very much for your help on this matter. I really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had running boards on my first MDX and while I hardly used them for the actual purpose, they did provide splash and debris protection from flying up on the rockers, as I quickly noticed upon my subsequent MDX without boards. Something to think about, especially if they're already on there.

The current running boards in question are far less bulky than the boards that they installed on the first-gen models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much for that information. I will think about it more. No rush to anything.

·
Registered
170 Posts
When we had 2nd gen MDX without running boards, enough rock kickback caused the paint to chip from both front and rear doors. Ended up painting them by the dealer on goodwill (nice of them) and I immediately bought running boards to protect the newly painted doors. Those splash guards were useless up front. Besides you can use running boards to step up if you have roof carrier and to dry off the roof after washing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have running boards on mine. I actually specifically requested them when I bought the vehicle. 1) Personally I like the look! And 2) for the same reason already listed, to add an extra layer of protection for the sides of the vehicle.

As far as them getting in the way, I don’t even notice them anymore. Didn’t take long to get used to them. In fact, in the winter they are quite handy for kicking the snow off my boots before getting in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts

I have the chrome running boards on my 2017 Sport Hybrid. The lack of width for your foot does make it kind of awkward to use getting in & out so I just by pass it. Shorter people who also do not step on it say the extra width to the vehicle makes it harder to get in/out.

On the positive side, it aids the same way mud flaps do by blocking debris from splashing up onto the sides. I also like that aesthetically it makes the MDX look more SUVish than CUVish.

I wish that there was a light up option like the ZDX had.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts