Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...

Has anyone attempted to add this part to their 2017 MDX after installing a third-party hitch (Curt in my case)?

I'm wondering if this would fit at the same time making things look aesthetically better??

I spoke to an online parts place and they couldn't guarantee it... They also recommended buying a few bolts (as it takes 2? I think) - but that I may be able to re-use ones in the bumper that's there today?

They also pointed out how there would be a small hole where the wiring harness stuff would normally go...

Any feedback?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The Curt hitch installs with the stock bumper in place, right? Therefore, the receiver has to mount below the stock bumper facade, and 08L92-TZ5-2A030 will not help you.

The genuine Acura hitch is built to be much more vertically-compact than the aftermarket hitches. This not only looks better, but it doesn't rob any ground clearance. The receiver tube ends up behind the stock bumper facade, and that is why Acura includes a replacement with a cutout to access the tube.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Curt hitch installs with the stock bumper in place, right? Therefore, the receiver has to mount below the stock bumper facade, and 08L92-TZ5-2A030 will not help you.

The genuine Acura hitch is built to be much more vertically-compact than the aftermarket hitches. This not only looks better, but it doesn't rob any ground clearance. The receiver tube ends up behind the stock bumper facade, and that is why Acura includes a replacement with a cutout to access the tube.
Thanks for the feedback. I was merely wanting a cheaper way to carry bikes as the acura one looked to be quite expensive.

Anyone have ideas on how to make things more aesthetic?

https://www.amazon.com/Acura-Engrav...1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1512065802&sr=1-11

:-D

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Not really if you want it to look integrated into the bumper. I use the Curt on my 2016 and I think it looks fine. Sure, integrated would have been nice, but not for $70 shipped (there was a deal a few months ago) vs $400 ish.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I was merely wanting a cheaper way to carry bikes as the acura one looked to be quite expensive.
Yes, the Acura hitch appears to cost $113.64 more than the Curt hitch, based on a quick search. However, since you were willing to pay extra for the Acura bumper cover the difference gets reduced to only $52.22.

I can't fault anyone for going with the less-expensive options. But for others, I also understand paying a little more to retain ground clearance and to have a more integrated "look".

08L92-TZ5-2A0 from Delray Acura listed at $279.45
C13146 from eTrailer.com listed at $165.81
08L92-TZ5-2A030 from Delray Acura listed at $61.42

·
Registered
2017 MDX
209 Posts
I'm a sucker for a bargain. But I went with the Acura hitch for the extra few inches higher the receiver sits to reduce the chance of my hitch cargo rack dragging on steep driveways. The integrated electrical socket mount is an added bonus.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I paid $116 for the hitch. I was only finding the OEM one for just under $400. I suppose if there’s one priced at $300 I could change to that. Maybe someone will buy my barely used curt for their pilot/MDX.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
The $400 OEM hitch is less than 1% of the cost of a new MDX.

Just putting it in perspective.

(I don't have a hitch on mine yet - I'm not sure which one I'd buy if I get one someday but probably would go with the OEM one for full integration, no questions about putting a full size tire at the spare spot, etc. (although maybe the Curt can handle that) )

·
Registered
2017 MDX
209 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've used both OEM and aftermarket hitch assemblies in my various Honda products over the years. The OEM ones were on a mid-2000's set of Pilots, and I actually moved the OEM hitch from one to the other when I traded. I found that the OEM hitch had a fair amount of rust after the 3 year mark and really showed the wear. I moved to a Ford Freestyle after that and needed to go aftermarket on that one, and went with a CURT 2" receiver hitch, and was really happy with the construction and fit/finish. After 5 years there was zero rust on the unit, and I sold it to another Freestyle owner at that point. When I got my 2nd gen MDX I went with the Curt, and also for my '15 RDX and most recently on the '17 MDX. IN all cases, the Curt hitch bolted right up and had a powder coat finish that was well above what the OEM hitches offered. Plus, in every case, it was a couple hundred less than OEM. With the '17 MDX, the receiver does sit a couple inches below the bumper facia, but after a couple of months running with it, I'm not seeing clearance issues, and since I run a black rubber hitch plug, it's fairly unobtrusive vision-wise. I only tow a few times a year, so don't worry about the wiring plug through the receiver (I keep it inside the vehicle till I need it). I'm happy with that Curt setup on the '17.

andy

·
Registered
503 Posts
Curry has the Acura '17-18 hitch for $312 shipped on their eBay store:

Genuine OEM Acura 2017-2018 MDX Trailer Hitch 08L92-TZ5-2A0 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/122156612056

If you google the part number you may find an online dealer near you where you can get it for less without shipping, but then you may have to pay sales tax.
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think that includes the wire harness kit. Every placed I've looked you're spending over $400 for the OEM hitch + the wire harness kit. OEM is the only way to go in my opinion, just trying to sort out what is what. If anyone has a good image of the OEM hitch installed (but not towing anything) I'd like to see it.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think that includes the wire harness kit. Every placed I've looked you're spending over $400 for the OEM hitch + the wire harness kit. OEM is the only way to go in my opinion, just trying to sort out what is what. If anyone has a good image of the OEM hitch installed (but not towing anything) I'd like to see it.
Correct, the wiring harness is separate.. But that is true with the aftermarket hitches, as well.

People have posted pics on this forum before... I've attached a couple, below.

Attachments

Reactions: carli123

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the pictures p07r0457. I've got an 2018 and considering the Curt, I will NOT buy anything OEM because of overpricing. Their are Acura dealers ads on EBAY, I got burnt once on the spare tire kit and will not go that route again.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thought I'd share this photo I took showing the winter wheel/tire setup I just mounted the other day. From this angle you can see the Curt hitch. It's a little more visible than the OEM setup, but it's fine for me. Paid $130 for the hitch and Curt wiring harness thru Autoanything.com a couple of months ago during one of their sales. Took about 30 minutes to install the hitch and the plug-and-play harness. If anyone wants a different view of the hitch, let me know.

andy

Attachments

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
^^ Andy - would a full size tire be able to be stowed in the spare tire spot - for example if one got a flat, swapped the spare for it, and put the bad full size tire in the spare tire spot? I know from other posters that the OEM hitch accommodates that but I don't know if the Curt hitch could.

·
Registered
596 Posts
^^ Andy - would a full size tire be able to be stowed in the spare tire spot - for example if one got a flat, swapped the spare for it, and put the bad full size tire in the spare tire spot? I know from other posters that the OEM hitch accommodates that but I don't know if the Curt hitch could.
I'll be honest that I didn't measure, but I do recall there was plenty of room for the temporary spare tire after the hitch was installed. But I'm guessing the diameter of the temp spare is pretty close to the diameter of a full-sized one - and only the width would really come into play. So given the hitch fits on the frame rails and hugs the bumper, I don't really see much of an issue. But don't take my word for it. ;-)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Here's another pic I took of the hitch receiver on my MDX today. Does not stick out past the bumper (i.e. no knee/shin bumping) and still leaves a ton of ground clearance...

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also installed a Curt hitch on my ‘15 it is quite a heavy duty piece and as mentioned does not protrude into the shin scrape area. OEM spare fits no problem. My use is mostly as a bike rack holder. You can DIY the Curt but be prepared it is a Heavy Duty piece supports or an extra set of hands required.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.