Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2017 MDX with about 11K miles.

Problem started a few months ago and happened once in a while, but now it is much more prevalent. When the weight shifts - as when accelerating or when rounding a bend, etc. I will hear a noise, almost like a muffled bark.

When the vehicle is stopped I have tried rocking it forward/back, up and down, side to side and can't reproduce it. However, when driving during weight shift it is noticeable. Doesn't seem to be related to hitting any bumps, etc. although if the weight shifts when that happens it will make the noise.

Scheduled to go in to the dealer in a couple of weeks but wanted some ideas as to where I may look in advance or guidance I could provide to them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Check to make sure the spare tire, if you have one, is secured and not rocking around. Double check whatever you have stowed in the rear under floor storage compartment. Make sure the lug nuts are torqued to spec (in case you have a loose wheel).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for those suggestions. Stopped at a Valvoline on the way home and they torqued the wheels, so they are good but still happening. I did tighten up the spare tire so I'll see if that helps tomorrow morning.

We did have a tire replaced and it is different than the other 3. There were only 7K miles on at the time so the tire place didn't see a problem using a different tire as they didn't have the current in stock and we were out of town. Guy at Valvoline said without prompting that he saw a situation in the past where the tires caused some problem keeping them from allowing them to rotate the tires and it was causing a similar noise.

So not sure if that variable plays into this. Obviously the tire was the same spec just different manufacturer. Firestone vs. Continental.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Could be a blown shock absorber, if the spare tire snugging doesn't cure it. It's early in the life of the vehicle to have suspension problems, but if your roads are anything like ours, nothing is impossible... :frown2:
I doubt an unmatched tire would cause noise except maybe when you're playing boy racer with your MDX. Sounds like maybe someone is trying to sell you more tires. Having said that, it is best to replace tires in pairs, especially if there is substantial wear. And never, ever mix different tire types ( eg. snow with all-season ).
But my money is on the spare, especially if you had it off when you got the flat. I've been fooled by it myself.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
A few ideas/things I have experienced:
-Metal panels rubbing together that need to be welded together or shimmed with foam
-Suspension rubber spring seats have become dislodged

Can you be more specific as to where you hear it coming from? Mine was rubbing panels at the bottom of the dash area.

And now I have a whistle that comes around 20-30 mph with torque application after a sudden slow down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just didn't think it could be something as simple as the spare tire being loose, but that was exactly what it was.

When the tire place put the spare in they didn't tighten it completely and it must have loosened up. I tightened it fully and not a peep from it this morning.

Thanks so much for the help - I would never have thought to check the spare!!

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I'm glad it's fixed.

I'm a DIYer by nature and tend to not be too trustful of the work of some others, especially tire busters, who might have started working the job last week with no prior experience and little to no training, so if I have to use them I often double check their work in an area like this - whether the tire was stowed properly, whether the lugnuts were torqued properly (usually they over-torque them, which isn't good), etc..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts