Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the new 2017 MDX, enjoying the Ride so far..

This is my first "new car" can anyone share a thread or link where I can find info on exterior/interior care interms of washes, detailing, their frequency etc..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Youtube is a good place to look if you have a specific question. In terms of maintenance, fill with the best grade fuel possible, frequently replace the oil with the best fully synthetic oil. Keep rotating tires regularly and replace when worn. Keep fluids topped off (coolant, brake oil, steering wheel fluid, wiper fluids. Regularly replace cabin filters and windshield wipers. Keep the car parked in a covered garage because the sun will damage the paint. Don't use automatic car washes. Self wash with a pressure washer and foam gun or bucket using car shampoo (not dishwashing liquid). Regularly vacuum the interior and use leather polish on the seats every once in a while. I personally detail the car myself. I don't trust anyone else with that job :) People say that there is a break-in period of about 1000 miles on a new car, when you should go easy on the throttle and avoid using A/C. Not sure how true this is, but keep it in mind. Some people also suggest turning the car on and letting it warm up to avoid strain on the engine. Take care of the car, and it will take care of you for 100-200k miles easily.

·
Registered
115 Posts
depends on where you live. For me, 3m clear bras front and back and all-weather floor mats throughout are musts.

I also did the underbody spray that the dealer sells for $600. It is a full underbody coating of some sort of rust-inhibitor/sealant/tar-like-stuff. Opinions on its effectiveness varies, but I got it for free.

I know people who baby their cars are totally against auto carwash, but I'm lazy and I prefer auto washes over layers of heavy salt and mud left on the car.

Also, invest in a good full detailing job complete with claybar, polish, wax...etc etc, the full package. It takes out minor imperfections in the paint that traps dirt/salt and protects the paint. Helps keep the car cleaner and makes subsequent washes easier. It's a few hundred bucks, or about half a day if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Avoid oily interior protectants for non-leather surfaces like some armor all products. It leaves a sheen on the mat surfaces that you'll never be able to take off, and makes your windows oily in the summer (from evaporating off the surfaces in high heat).

·
Registered
391 Posts
depends on where you live. For me, 3m clear bras front and back and all-weather floor mats throughout are musts.

I also did the underbody spray that the dealer sells for $600. It is a full underbody coating of some sort of rust-inhibitor/sealant/tar-like-stuff. Opinions on its effectiveness varies, but I got it for free.

I know people who baby their cars are totally against auto carwash, but I'm lazy and I prefer auto washes over layers of heavy salt and mud left on the car.

Also, invest in a good full detailing job complete with claybar, polish, wax...etc etc, the full package. It takes out minor imperfections in the paint that traps dirt/salt and protects the paint. Helps keep the car cleaner and makes subsequent washes easier. It's a few hundred bucks, or about half a day if you do it yourself.
i live in the northeast. and would like to add rush inhibiters to my MDX's undercarriage; mainly on the nuts and bolts since when those simple things wear out. it makes a simple job a pain in the a$$.

as for auto car wash. nope. cant do it. those brushes (at least ones that offer them) would likely do a number on your car's finish. if you dont like micro scratches to your paint's finish. stay away. plus, youve seen some cars where the hood or roof or trunk show faded paint finishes; some even bare down to the substrate. it think they might have made their auto car washes a daily or weekly visit. those commercial brushes/scrubbers would do a number on your car's pain job.

i do mine by hand. yes, it takes some time. but you have full control of you cleaning habits; have your 2-bucket system; car wash soap that produces the most suds and an effective power wash to generate the most suds in order to push off the dirt from the car before you start scrubbing it with a micro fiber hand brush. after that, which is done on occasion, is clay bar the car. then wash again. then wax and/or add paint sealer/protector.

after all that is done. your sh!t will come out looking fresh AF. the sun glare off the paint would make difficulty staring at your car. :grin:

·
Registered
115 Posts
as for auto car wash. nope. cant do it. those brushes (at least ones that offer them) would likely do a number on your car's finish. if you dont like micro scratches to your paint's finish. stay away. plus, youve seen some cars where the hood or roof or trunk show faded paint finishes; some even bare down to the substrate. it think they might have made their auto car washes a daily or weekly visit. those commercial brushes/scrubbers would do a number on your car's pain job.
Totally agree, 2 bucket handwash is the best and only thing people should do!
Even touchless washes use harsh chemicals and are really bad for your paint.
Anyone who cares about their car and is not a complete lazy ass should do this! It is how cars paint jobs look like new after 15 years.

What can I say...my laziness overcomes my best judgement. I do bi-weekly auto washes. and I plan on doing so until I can get my kid to handwash it for me every weekend >:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
plus, youve seen some cars where the hood or roof or trunk show faded paint finishes; some even bare down to the substrate.
About once every 2 weeks over the 8-month winter, the roads here are covered in gravel, sand, salt, ice, mud, and all kinds of good stuff. It's like driving the car through a sandblaster! Then comes summer with hail storms that shoots ice pellets of all sizes on the hood.
My 1.5 yr old MDX is already covered in micro scratches, chips and dings everywhere regardless of how I wash.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I babied my car until my windshield cracked (by a piece of 60mph flying gravel out of nowhere), and I only had 50 miles on the odometer. Since then, I have been happily carefree.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Two buckets.
Two mitts - one for the paint, one for the wheels and lower trim.
Meg's Gold Class shampoo
Meg's Water magnet drying towels
Meg's Ultimate Paste and Quick Waxes

I got rid of clay a few years ago in favor of AutoScrub Nanoskin sponges and they are fantastic. Eash to use and clean.

I'm a fan of the Meguiars line due to their ability to apply in direct sunlight and their ease of removal. It can be applied over trim too. There are better products out there, but these work well for a daily driver.

The wife's CBP shows the results nicely. Pic attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Two buckets.
Two mitts - one for the paint, one for the wheels and lower trim.
Meg's Gold Class shampoo
Meg's Water magnet drying towels
Meg's Ultimate Paste and Quick Waxes

I got rid of clay a few years ago in favor of AutoScrub Nanoskin sponges and they are fantastic. Eash to use and clean.

I'm a fan of the Meguiars line due to their ability to apply in direct sunlight and their ease of removal. It can be applied over trim too. There are better products out there, but these work well for a daily driver.

The wife's CBP shows the results nicely. Pic attached.
Would you mind sharing the steps? I also have a black exterior and it's so difficult to avoid either water spots or swirls by drying.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I wash mine when it gets dirty. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Would you mind sharing the steps? I also have a black exterior and it's so difficult to avoid either water spots or swirls by drying.
I wash one or two panels at time if the heat/sun allow for it. I.E. the hood and the roof.
I rinse off said washed panels, and clean the dirty mitt in the second (non-soapy) water. I'll hose off the mitt if there's caked on debris (hardly ever is). I then move onto the next panels until complete. Washing, rinsing, washing, rinsing.
I finish with the wheels.
I use two drying towels. The first to get the windows and then the majority of the water off. The second to get the last bit of moisture the first couldn't conquer.
The spray wax is the key. This is where you'll remove the remainder of the water spots. Spray the TOWEL, not the paint, and rub with light pressure over every panel. I do this twice is opposing motions to get good coverage.
However, none of this is worth if if you don't prep the surface. After a thorough wash, you should clay or nanoskin sponge the surface. Problem is that this removes ALL of the wax you've applied, so you'll need to reseal the surface the same day.

The wife's CBP has been polished, but that was in late 2015. The picture I attached is from last week, and the car is NOT garaged. Sits underneath an oak most days actually. I use the spray wax as a quick detailer as much as 2 or 3 times a week. This really helps keep the debris off the paint and makes washes that much easier. I heavily spray a microfiber towel and lightly wipe the surface to lift the dust/debris, consistently switching to a clean side of the towel. Using lots of towels is a good thing. I then go over the car again with a clean towel, on the clean surface, like I would after a wash.

I know it sounds like a lot, but I can "quick wax" both vehicles in between washes in about 30 minutes...and that's taking my time. Could be done quicker.

Reactions: DesiMDXer

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you for the responses.. asked about the care but I ran into a flat-tire situation today...
Sadly, just blew one of my tires on a minor curb hit. Its still puzzling to me that i happened; how could the sidewall burst for such a minor hit. I was told it was a pinch but barely 2000 miles ..
I am trying to call continental and acura client relations tomorrow; anyone has similar issues or any experience with tire warranty.. Please help.

I will post this on the main page also so this can get some visibility...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Man that sucks. You have around 4" of rubber (assuming 20" wheel option) between the wheel and the road, so extra precaution should be taken. Won't take too much to roll the bead back from the wheel especially with as pliable as the sidewalls are on these P-rated tires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man that sucks. You around 4" of rubber (assuming 20" wheel option) between the wheel and the road, so extra precaution should be taken. Won't take too much to roll the bead back from the wheel especially with as pliable as the sidewalls are on these P-rated tires.
thank you for the reply. I was surprised to know these tires are so delicate. I have driven TSX and no such tire issues ..
Called up continental and they say OEM tires have basic coverage only and would not cover road hazards while their replacement tires would have "total confidence plan".. this sucks big time..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts