Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm doing a lot of research on the 2017 MDX as I do plan on getting one come December.. However on a different forum I troll www.acurazine.com there are complaints from 2017 MDX Advance owners about their navigation not working properly.. Like the navigation shows they're somewhere they're not if that makes any sense.. one guy was complaining about his navi showing that he was driving through a nuclear power plant but he says he was on the interstate.. So I just wanted to see if any 17 MDX owners are having the same problems since it has not been mentioned? Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Laostuh, I have a 2017 MDX tech package. While I was worried about the transmission it has been fine. Most of the negative reviews are from enthusiasts having too many gears and I would agree if it was a manual gearbox. There was a about 1000 mile break in period with my vehicle and it is very smooth since then.

To answer your question about the GPS. I occasionally see it not track correctly if I take off before the navigation is ready. Happen about 4 times now, but waiting until the Acura welcome screen to finish loading will stop that. (About 25 sec before you drive off)

The MDX has been great so far with about 18,000 miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, maybe I'm just being way too paranoid. I would just hate to spend $50,000 or more and run into these problems..
Now if only I can find a good deal on a Hybrid Tech Package in California...

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
So Honda/Acura knows about the problem, but there is no fix at this time. Says to please do not shift to drive within 15 seconds of starting car and it may happen after sitting for 4 hours.

And this is 2017MY only so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have intermittent problems with the GPS thinking I am a few blocks away. This happens to me about once per month. Vehicle must be shut off and restarted to fix the issue. Took it to dealer today and they said that Acura is aware of the problem, but they currently have no fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 GPS inaccuracy

Sorry if this got posted twice. About once per month, my MDX thinks it is 3 or 4 blocks away at start up. I have to shut off vehicle and restart to clear the issue. Local dealer said that Acura is aware of the issue, but that they haven't recommended a fix yet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the same issue since I got the car from July 2016 for my 2017 MDX. Yes, when the car start and wait for a minute might resolved the starting problem, but sometime when I was driving and it lost. I took my car to the dealer 2nd times for this, they are going to replace the unit. They said they did that on some 2016 MDX, and fixed the problem. So I hope this will fix mine. The best is to complaint to the dealership, they knew this problem! Acura customer relation is useless. They asked me to go buy a new Nav DVD. :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I drove a 2017 it didn't have problems. However, all in-car, non-cloud-based navigation systems will be terrible compared to Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze.

For example, from my wife's barn, Apple Maps said 11 miles but the Acura said 16.5. Seems these systems really prefer larger and larger roads because it makes routing much easier.

·
Registered
964 Posts
When I drove a 2017 it didn't have problems. However, all in-car, non-cloud-based navigation systems will be terrible compared to Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze.
Exactly! I have not used a build-in navigation in my MDX for almost 3 years. I use Google Maps and Waze on my iPhone. I get real-time traffic updates that do not require a subscription, directions that are 99% accurate and can be combined both with in-car and walking directions. Another useful feature is Apple Maps "remembers" your parked vehicle's location and makes it convenient to locate it.

I think that all car manufactures should recognize that their long-term commitment to custom-built navigation systems has become obsolete. Cloud based computer systems that get real-time updates and interact with different interfaces such as CarPlay with iPhone or Android (using my example when you start in vehicle then exit out and continue with directions on the phone) are a way to go. This is where I feel Acura has fallen behind the competitors. Luckily, they did manage to get CarPlay into 2018, but will it be enough to keep it modern?

·
Registered
791 Posts

For example, from my wife's barn, Apple Maps said 11 miles but the Acura said 16.5. Seems these systems really prefer larger and larger roads because it makes routing much easier.
I can't judge Acura nav as I've never used it, but with my Infiniti GPS accuracy is comparable between vehicle and Google Maps. There are times when Maps is better such as traffic rerouting and construction (because I don't subscribe to these services in my car Nav). Maps is also better at having the most up to date maps because you don't have to pay for updating them.

Navigation itself is where many times my car navigation will take me on a better and more direct route to the destination where google may route me on some backwards way with tons of side streets to save 30 seconds of travel time. Also occasionally google maps won't take me to the right destination where my vehicle will.

But i agree that many times (if not a majority) google maps is more accurate and functional then my vehicle navigation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2017 Navi Map location startup errors

HURRAY....the MDX Navi fix is finally out...
My 2017 MDX Had the “ wrong car location at startup”. The dealer installed the fix today ( April, 4, 2019) per TSB 18-011, dated April, 2018. It’s a half hour DVD install. Hope that fixes it...too,soon to tell. TSB is online if you look around.

·
Registered
169 Posts
2017 Navi Map location startup errors

HURRAY....the MDX Navi fix is finally out...
My 2017 MDX Had the “ wrong car location at startup”. The dealer installed the fix today ( April, 4, 2019) per TSB 18-011, dated April, 2018. It’s a half hour DVD install. Hope that fixes it...too,soon to tell. TSB is online if you look around.
So did TSB 18-011 fix your Navi issue?
New to this forum because my 17 Tech has the same issue and my dealer cannot fix it. Navi has me driving in lakes and golf courses.
Any update out there?

·
Registered
543 Posts
So did TSB 18-011 fix your Navi issue?
New to this forum because my 17 Tech has the same issue and my dealer cannot fix it. Navi has me driving in lakes and golf courses.
Any update out there?
Have had the same issue with my '17 MDX Tech since almost new. Dealer has done the TSB update, replaced the nav unit and main entertainment head unit and even the antenna. Last week it got lost 8 times. I even bought an app for my phone showing satellite strength for GPS and each time the car gets lost, the satellites are strong. There's something pretty major wrong here, and my dealer is escalating the problem. We'll see what happens....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts