Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble driving on curvy roads with the headlamps being bright enough. It appears as if they don't brighten up the landscape view in front of the car.
This may sound strange but you cannot see far enough in front to make decisions when to turn, etc.
I have read that some others have had a similar problem on early year cars.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a 17 and feel the headlights are one of the better aspects of the car. They cast an even, wide beam, and then you add the high beams and they reach out even farther. Of all the cars I've had through the years (and I've had a lot), these are the best I've experienced. I hope they stay that way over time. Try to drive another similar MDX at night and see if it's any different than yours.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I think the headlights take some getting used to, maybe because of how focused they are but I agree with Lorenzo that they're actually very good. I have some other vehicles where the light is more diffused, but also not as bright and not as white that may appear to light up more on curves but in actuality probably don't. You may be noticing this 'focused' effect on the curves.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I drive in the mountains where there are no public lights more so than most on this board and I 100% agree with you. The heads lights are crap for turning. You have to keep your hi’s on pretty much the whole time just to be able to understand what’s coming up. You cannot see the sides of the roads at all and can only see about 40’ in front with the lows = useless.

In relation I never have to put my hi’s on my accord with standard bulbs on the same routes.

Bulb in my accord is $22 - 40.

Headlight is the 3rd gen MDX $700.

We are all suckers.

·
Registered
733 Posts
With the hi’s on these are fantastic by far. I just have an issue with the low’s. When a road is freshly painted they are great but when a road is dull or have no markings it’s a challenge - but then that speaks to how fast you are going.

I’ve come across a few deer in my life to know they can be behind the curve and they don’t move.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I've noticed on dark country roads my 19 MDX is brighter; but, has a very sharp cut-off so not to blind on coming traffic. I don't get a lot of light bleed over for wider or higher illumination like my single HIDs in my 06 TSX, 08 RDX, or 11 MDX. It might also be a little bit of the directional LEDs being so bright causing a larger contrast between the lit area and everything else outside the beam cut-off area? The LEDs look best when you have overhead street lights and/or business signs to brighten up the surround areas.

I upgraded my 08 RDX & 11 MDX to OSRAM HIDs 5500K and those do a better job when driving out in the pitch black with low beams. I still have the sharp cut-off with my single HIDs that isn't as intense as the 19 MDX LEDs; but, the light is spread out higher, longer, and wider for more visibility. In my 11 MDX, I can see overhead signs, curves, 90 degree turns, and wildlife better. I don't even need to use my high beams with the OSRAM bulbs.

·
Registered
288 Posts
While we're talking headlights, has anyone else noticed how the LED's (in latest gen) fantastically light up reflective signs? They do it from real far away, even the turn signals.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've noticed on dark country roads my 19 MDX is brighter; but, has a very sharp cut-off so not to blind on coming traffic. I don't get a lot of light bleed over for wider or higher illumination like my single HIDs in my 06 TSX, 08 RDX, or 11 MDX. It might also be a little bit of the directional LEDs being so bright causing a larger contrast between the lit area and everything else outside the beam cut-off area? The LEDs look best when you have overhead street lights and/or business signs to brighten up the surround areas.

I upgraded my 08 RDX & 11 MDX to OSRAM HIDs 5500K and those do a better job when driving out in the pitch black with low beams. I still have the sharp cut-off with my single HIDs that isn't as intense as the 19 MDX LEDs; but, the light is spread out higher, longer, and wider for more visibility. In my 11 MDX, I can see overhead signs, curves, 90 degree turns, and wildlife better. I don't even need to use my high beams with the OSRAM bulbs.

100% agree with this assement. I believe people just want to believe these lights are fantastic because they do make reflective signs light up nice and bright.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The term to compare is lumen output. Both LED and HID can be compared.

Research demonstrates that the human eye can see more distinctly with light on the bluer end of the spectrum. (5500k is there). So “brightness” and color temperature are critically important when comparing headlight performance.

My ‘18 MDX Tech headlights seem to work terrifically for my old eyes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2017 Advance MDX has “fog” lights that I keep on. They do a pretty good job of side illumination when using the low beam, alas they auto turn off when the hi beams come on.

·
Registered
894 Posts
My 2017 Advance MDX has “fog” lights that I keep on. They do a pretty good job of side illumination when using the low beam, alas they auto turn off when the hi beams come on.
+1 to using fog lights.

My only complaint is the auto brights. They don't switch to lows quick enough either behind a vehicle or approaching a vehicle. Also if on a curvy country road about anything on the side of the road will cause auto brights to dim. Many times rounding a left curve, the brights will detect something on the side of the road and dim, then coming out of the curve switch to brights with an approaching car right there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with Lorenzo. The LED headlights of the 2019 MDX is one of the better features of the vehicle. I feel that both the low and high beams work equally well. In addition, I also have the quartz fog lamps which add additional light around the edge of the road. Acura has done a great job with the engineering of these lights - in my estimation they look good and perform well.

·
Registered
189 Posts
100% agree with this assement. I believe people just want to believe these lights are fantastic because they do make reflective signs light up nice and bright.
Not everyone drives on roads that aren't illuminated. Most people live in cities and don't traverse mountain roads.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I’m going to agree that the LED headlights on the MDX are really good. But the sharp cutoff is quite different than any other vehicle I’ve owned with standard or HID headlights. As a result they do a great job at lighting the focused area in front but have little to no scatter outside that area.

I installed additional lights to overcome this. The extra lights fill in the dark space on the sides of the roads... helps in being able to see animals approaching the highway and helps in seeing further around corners. My extra driving lights are wired to come on automatically with the high beams and extinguish when the highs are turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I had a few 19 RDX loaners with the updated smaller 14 LED lights instead of 10 with the MDX. The RDX lights are even brighter, casts light over a wider area, and can reach a little further down the road. I didn't get a chance to take the 19 RDX down a pitch black road at night to see how much of an improvement over the MDXs with side illumination with sharp 90 degree side roads turns.

Good chance the next Gen MDX will have the same updated LEDs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts