Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've been trolling this forum for a while now after doing some research on the 2017 MDX. I am sure that we are going to pull the trigger but I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the 2016/2017 models.. Can you share your experience if you have these models? Gas or Hybrid, I want to know the good, the bad, the ugly if any. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Hey guys I've been trolling this forum for a while now after doing some research on the 2017 MDX. I am sure that we are going to pull the trigger but I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the 2016/2017 models.. Can you share your experience if you have these models? Gas or Hybrid, I want to know the good, the bad, the ugly if any. Thanks in advance.
Hello,all you have to do is read the posts on this forum. Anyone who responds to this is probably just reposting what they have already posted.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Ill chime in, I am not an Owner but its basically what I've gathered online.

The Good: Great MPGs, Better Take off power, Not really THAT expensive over an Advance Gas Model, DCT Transmission (So no stupid darn ZF POS).

The Bad: Hybrid SH-AWD Motors seems to lack good regenerative braking, No towing ability, Limited trim packages means you can only get the Hybrid in the most expensive models.

& The Ugly: Early reports of SH-AWD Hybrid motors not working correctly, Early adopters face 1st off the line issues and seems that the Hybrid is no exception.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,all you have to do is read the posts on this forum. Anyone who responds to this is probably just reposting what they have already posted.
Thanks, I've read some and found a lot of generic reviews. I want to hear from people who actually bought one. Not from the gal or guy or is driving one for a video or article. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a new 2017 SH AWD about 2 months ago. I am totally satisfied, to date, and would buy it again. I considered the hybrid but for my mileage it was not cost effective.

Hopes this helps.
Hows the transmission on the gas version? I read that it's not that great. I test drove the Hybrid about a week ago but it wasn't a thorough test drive.. From what I can gather from the drive, the DCT was extremely smooth. If I am not mistaken the gas doesn't have the DCT but a 9 speed?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Not from the gal or guy
Well that leaves me out of being able to comment as well as almost all the rest of the posters here. ;)

But I agree with Elvis - there are already plenty of threads here on that topic with responses from legit posters - although they're usually either a guy or a gal fwiw.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@;
Well that leaves me out of being able to comment as well as almost all the rest of the posters here. ;)

But I agree with Elvis - there are already plenty of threads here on that topic with responses from legit posters - although they're usually either a guy or a gal fwiw.
I should've worded it better, sorry. I meant I want feedback from people who actually own a 2017 MDX Hybrid or Gas. Not from a "guy or gal who is driving one for a review but actually who owns one".

Most of the posts I see here are videos on youtube... Those are pretty generic and subjective.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Phrasing "F**** you Skirmich for trying I want only the owners because all Online Reviews are Wrong and Owners Biased Opinions are Great!"

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a '17 MDX (not the sport hybrid version) and I'm very happy with it. The only time I get a hard shift is first thing in the morning. After that it's smooth.

I would buy one again. I don't regret the purchase.

I would suggest asking the dealer to let you spend a few hours with both of them so you could get a feel under different conditions.

Good luck!

·
Registered
151 Posts
@;

I should've worded it better, sorry. I meant I want feedback from people who actually own a 2017 MDX Hybrid or Gas. Not from a "guy or gal who is driving one for a review but actually who owns one".

Most of the posts I see here are videos on youtube... Those are pretty generic and subjective.
You do realize that an owners opinion is, by definition, subjective feedback, right? Objective comparisons would be data driven and generally scientific. That said, i have a 2017 SH AWD with about 9000 miles under it. In general, the family and I are pleased with the choice. Yes, the transmission performance is in no way consistent with a semi-luxury SUV. Balky when cold and seems reluctant to drop enough gears to gain punch when rolling on the throttle for a mid speed pass. Still, power is ample. Fit and finish is better than average, but well below say an Audi or Merc. On balance, I'd say the ownership experience is precisely consistent with price point. That is, noticeably better that say a Ford, Mazda, chevy, Jeep etc., but not as nice as an Audi, BMW, Mercedes or even the Volvo. In short, I like my MDX, but there is no "wow" factor with any of it's performance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have 3300 miles on a 17 MDX Sport Hybrid:
good:
transmission is very smooth and responsive; switch from gas to electric is totally smooth, suspension is notably smoother in comfort
vs sport mode; in comfort mode mileage has averaged 26 to 28 per tank in city/highway on all tanks so far, on a 20 mile mixed route of 45 to 55 mph I can get 30 to 32 mpg on a regular basis,
car is extremely quiet, one of the quietest I have ever owned, less overall noise then my Audi A6.
self steering is quite good even on bends in road, better then my Audi A6
calculated mileage matches real mileage (miles divided by actual gallons) within 0.1 mpg on every tank I have checked!!
LED headlights are quite good on low beams, almost a match for the Audi LED which has the best headlights of any car I have driven

fair:
ACC (adaptive cruise control) tends to hunt a bit on speed vs the totally smooth result on my Audi A6, its better when you run conventional cruise but still not a match to the Audi system (nor a Chrysler Pacifica I rented for a 6600 mile road trip) Acura needs to work on the programming for this item.
brake warning sometimes too sensitive as it sees cars coming around a bend as a hazard when they are in the other lane

navigation is just okay, a bit difficult to enter an address compared to a normal Garmin unit

No problems with car or hybrid drive so far except for a rare occasion when the system does not recognize my key and fails to set the
seat/steering wheel settings automatically. Put car in part, push seat memory button and it resets, that is only malfunction

This was the first hybrid sold in my area and I am quite pleased with the car so far. The smooth transmission was the big seller as well as the increased torque off the line that made the car much nicer to drive then the 9 speed gas. I drive a TDI A6 Audi and am used to the
428 ft/lb torque available right off idle that makes the car great to drive, the electric assist and 7 speed dual clutch makes the MDX Hybrid a much better driver. Any issues I have had would apply to the non hybrid version as I have had none of the hybrid motor errors mentioned in other posts.
Has used 1/8 of quart of oil and reads 70% oil life at 3300 miles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought a new 2017 SH AWD about 2 months ago. I am totally satisfied, to date, and would buy it again. I considered the hybrid but for my mileage it was not cost effective.

Hopes this helps.
I have 3300 miles on a 17 MDX Sport Hybrid:

This was the first hybrid sold in my area and I am quite pleased with the car so far. The smooth transmission was the big seller as well as the increased torque off the line that made the car much nicer to drive then the 9 speed gas. I drive a TDI A6 Audi and am used to the
428 ft/lb torque available right off idle that makes the car great to drive, the electric assist and 7 speed dual clutch makes the MDX Hybrid a much better driver. Any issues I have had would apply to the non hybrid version as I have had none of the hybrid motor errors mentioned in other posts.
Has used 1/8 of quart of oil and reads 70% oil life at 3300 miles.
Well for me the Hybrid seems am interesting proposition since I tend to keep my cars for 10+ years. My 2003 MDX averages 14m on the city, so even if I get less than the advertised mileage on the Hybrid, that will be a substantial savings over time.

wwhale
Thanks for the review. I am leaning towards the Hybrid due the driving experience and gas savings. That said, the discounts on the gas versions are making me temped to get one. Right now I've got quotes for the SH-AWD base at $42k and the tech at $46k in San Diego. Oh boy, not sure what to do.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Well for me the Hybrid seems am interesting proposition since I tend to keep my cars for 10+ years. My 2003 MDX averages 14m on the city, so even if I get less than the advertised mileage on the Hybrid, that will be a substantial savings over time.

wwhale
Thanks for the review. I am leaning towards the Hybrid due the driving experience and gas savings. That said, the discounts on the gas versions are making me temped to get one. Right now I've got quotes for the SH-AWD base at $42k and the tech at $46k in San Diego. Oh boy, not sure what to do.
I may be looking for a SH SH tech. The deciding factor may be the difference between the discounts of hybrid and gas.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'll echo wwale's comments on the sport hybrid, although with only about 300 mi. on my Black Copper Pearl/Espresso Advance. I traded in a 2010 Tech. that I was, and still am, very impressed with. I bought it knowing that the mileage SUCKED (let's be honest here) but I drive quite a bit for business and it's all reimbursable. The 2010 did every other thing I asked it to do very very well. It went well, it stopped well, was the best handing car in the snow that I have ever driven, much less owned. I never had to replace a light bulb in that car over 75K mi. Tires, brakes and maintenance schedule was it!!

So after some prodding from my better half I went and drove a sport hybrid and was sold (at the right price of course).

This morning I had a short drive to drop off my daughter at camp. All in-town driving ~20 mi. I averaged 30.5 mpg round trip. Coming from the less powerful 2010 getting just a hair over 16 around town I'm pleased to say the least. In the interest of full disclosure I was driving conservatively and I don't anticipate mpg being quite there in the long term but still impressive. Incidentally, this is on 87 octane that the dealership put in for delivery (really Chris?????? the dealership had to save $3 on a $55+K sale?). I'm going to top it off with 93 this afternoon and see how that affects the mileage over the next week.

As far as early adoption concerns, I'd be a fool not to have a bit of reservation, however, it's fundamentally the same system as the RLX-SH so Honda does have some experience here. I pause at comparing the MDX-SH to the NSX for a long list of reasons although the fundamental controller and programming are undoubtedly cousins if not siblings.

Transmission.......I'm going to say it, flame away nerds.....the 7 spd. DCT is the best transmission in an MDX to date, end of story. I have driven the gen2 6 sp. and ~1200 miles on a gen3 9 spd. The 9 wasn't as bad as I had anticipated it would be but, at times, brutal on deceleration.

Fit and finish are on par with Acuras tradition. I sprung for the Advance for cooled seats, heated 2nd row, captains 2nd row and most importantly, the thicker glass. This car approaches silent in EV mode, and only a couple (less than 5) decibels more in hybrid mode. It's so insulating you need to watch your speed more as you don't have the aural cues I had become used to in the 2010.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
As far as early adoption concerns, I'd be a fool not to have a bit of reservation
I've been an early adopter multiple times with a Jeep Cherokee, Ford Exploder, and 3rd gen MDX. There actually are very few issues that don't seem to persist into the 2nd model year and often even into the 3rd model year and beyond. In addition, the manufacturer usually fixes the problems under warranty. My Cherokee was good, the MDX great, the Exploder - not so much (least reliable vehicle I've owned - but the issues didn't stop at the end of its first model year). Most of the common issues on the 2014 MDX carried over to the 2015 and even the 2016 so there would have been little gain to avoid the early adoption on the vehicle generally.

Given the above, you should feel more comfortable as an early adopter and as you said, the technology has already been used in other vehicles. You should already plan on having some issues, at least a software update or two, but that'd likely happen with almost any vehicle. I hope there'll be no fundamental issues with the hybrid design on this MDX.

over 75K mi.
It was still a youngster.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll echo wwale's comments on the sport hybrid, although with only about 300 mi. on my Black Copper Pearl/Espresso Advance. I traded in a 2010 Tech. that I was, and still am, very impressed with. I bought it knowing that the mileage SUCKED (let's be honest here) but I drive quite a bit for business and it's all reimbursable. The 2010 did every other thing I asked it to do very very well. It went well, it stopped well, was the best handing car in the snow that I have ever driven, much less owned. I never had to replace a light bulb in that car over 75K mi. Tires, brakes and maintenance schedule was it!!

So after some prodding from my better half I went and drove a sport hybrid and was sold (at the right price of course).

This morning I had a short drive to drop off my daughter at camp. All in-town driving ~20 mi. I averaged 30.5 mpg round trip. Coming from the less powerful 2010 getting just a hair over 16 around town I'm pleased to say the least. In the interest of full disclosure I was driving conservatively and I don't anticipate mpg being quite there in the long term but still impressive. Incidentally, this is on 87 octane that the dealership put in for delivery (really Chris?????? the dealership had to save $3 on a $55+K sale?). I'm going to top it off with 93 this afternoon and see how that affects the mileage over the next week.

As far as early adoption concerns, I'd be a fool not to have a bit of reservation, however, it's fundamentally the same system as the RLX-SH so Honda does have some experience here. I pause at comparing the MDX-SH to the NSX for a long list of reasons although the fundamental controller and programming are undoubtedly cousins if not siblings.

Transmission.......I'm going to say it, flame away nerds.....the 7 spd. DCT is the best transmission in an MDX to date, end of story. I have driven the gen2 6 sp. and ~1200 miles on a gen3 9 spd. The 9 wasn't as bad as I had anticipated it would be but, at times, brutal on deceleration.

Fit and finish are on par with Acuras tradition. I sprung for the Advance for cooled seats, heated 2nd row, captains 2nd row and most importantly, the thicker glass. This car approaches silent in EV mode, and only a couple (less than 5) decibels more in hybrid mode. It's so insulating you need to watch your speed more as you don't have the aural cues I had become used to in the 2010.
Thank you for an in depth review. I have not driven the gas version myself but am hesitant to even consider it reading all the reviews about the 9 speed.. I have driven the Hybrid and was immediately sold. Nobody seems to be wheeling and dealing on the Hybrid just yet.. So I will have to wait for some deals to be had!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.