Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2019 MDX and have had this issue since about 40K miles. I just hit 75k yesterday and took it to my local shop for new tires and an alignment. I inspected the pads and rotors all the way around and decided the rear were going to be due for a replacement in the next 25-50k but since I do everything early and they were original I went ahead and got the duralast gold ceramic pads for the rear (DG1698) to do the job this morning. Well, I just finished the job and after pumping breaks I went ahead and set the EPB and she was completely silent. I didn't do anything but replace the pads. Fairly simple about 1.5 hours taking my time with a floor jack and stands. So if you have the annoying EPB squeal that can be heard a mile away, you can change your rear pads and fix the issue. 2 birds 1 stone.

· Registered
40 Posts
My 2017 has always made this noise, as do many other cars with electric parking brakes....what is the big deal? Did anyone complain that the manual parking brake lever made a clicking sound when engaged?

· Registered
48 Posts
Some customers in the chain have complained that the noise returned after the actuator change, so there was also speculation that the problem was in the calipers.
I’m heading into the shop next week where I will raise the issue with my advisor. I’ll let you know what happens.
My original post was from a year ago. I am sad to report that I hear the squeal again. I'm gonna live with it, as I'm well out of warranty and do not want to bear the high cost (I'm sure) of the "repair", especially now that I know it will not be a long-term one.

· Registered
200 Posts
I have this issue. Just came up after I took my car to the dealer for scheduled maintenance. I’m fed up with the dealership. It is a 2017. I gave them a bad review for not finding my tires being “feathered” around the edges because I specifically said to check the tires. Only 26,000 miles on the vehicle. That was Seattle. Tacoma dealership is worse. Have to find some other place to take it too.
Try a Honda Dealership. They will work on the car as long as it's not a warranty issue trying to fix.

· Registered
2 Posts
Same problem for a 2017 Tech. I had mine replaced under warranty 14 months ago. Now with noise is back and obnoxious. Since I am just beyond the 1 year period, my dealership quoted my 75% off, or ~$400 for the job. I will not do it because it will "fail" again in 1 year.

· Registered
69 Posts
They DO have a fix, and it involves replacing the electronic actuator (solenoid) that operates the emergency brake. All well and good when under warranty (mine was fixed under warranty), but likely quite expensive after warranty expires.
I’ll try this with the dealer

· Registered
48 Posts
I still have my original front and rear pads at 40k miles, and they have quite a bit left in them. Squeal started when car had about 10k miles on it, so you can't blame the pads. The noise comes from the electric actuators that apply the emergency brake. Obviously, as the pads wear, the actuators must have to travel a longer distance to properly apply the brakes, but with 10k, I don't think we can blame pads.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts