Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked today Edmunds and was surprised by the amount of negative reviews by costumers of the 2017 MDX. I am curious to find out what you guys think.
I am planning in either getting a 2017 SH-AWD base or 2017 Hybrid base.
Most of the complaints are due to noise and gear issues.

I love my current 2003 Acura due reliability but it's time to go. I want to stay loyal, but in the other hand I am wondering if this is a decision that I won't regret.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Haha, reviews...I don't know, the MDX sells pretty well so it can't be all that bad and I love mine...5 star review!

So I just went over to read the reviews, ha, what a bunch of garbage. Any site that solicits reviews but does not verify ownership is worthless my view. The internet is filled with trolls, god help us when people loose critical thinking skills.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Test drive one and see if you experience any noise or gear issues.
I have done that but no issues. It's a pretty small sample though.
But for sure it is interesting that this is out there. I have heard for quite awhile the gear issues with newer models. Here on the forums and online.
Sure, online reviews can be misleading. That's why I am asking folks here.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I have had a 2014 for slightly over 4 years now - no problems at all and I enjoy having it. It has a different tranny than the new ones so I can't comment on the 9 speed other than to say the first ones had some issues with shift points, etc. but apparently those have been largely resolved via a software update - according to posts I've read here from others.

Online reviews can be misleading and so can forum posts since they're both comprised of a tiny fraction of owners and it's usually complainers and enthusiasts who bother to post. Sometimes they have objective info that can be useful for those researching though and some of the issues people complain about can be checked so one can experience it for themselves and reach their own conclusions - which is why I mentioned the test drive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had a 2014 for slightly over 4 years now - no problems at all and I enjoy having it. It has a different tranny than the new ones so I can't comment on the 9 speed other than to say the first ones had some issues with shift points, etc. but apparently those have been largely resolved via a software update - according to posts I've read here from others.

Online reviews can be misleading and so can forum posts since they're both comprised of a tiny fraction of owners and it's usually complainers and enthusiasts who bother to post. Sometimes they have objective info that can be useful for those researching though and some of the issues people complain about can be checked so one can experience it for themselves and reach their own conclusions - which is why I mentioned the test drive.
Thanks for the input. I like Acura and I would think they will back up their product. I was just surprised for the amount of recent negative reviews on Edmunds. That said, you are correct that for the most part complainers are the ones posting more than satisfied ones.
I might take my old Acura MDX for a recall issue. Last time, couple years back they let me use their new loaners for an entire day. Hopefully they can let me use it again so I can get a better feel for it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
'17 with 9A, the shifting just keeps improving with time (5k miles now). Everyone has a different agenda for posting reviews, but few people take the time to write about how good everything is which is almost everyone that owns an MDX. I'm also willing to accept that there will be a certain percentage of real issues that needs to be addressed, its a machine with a warranty!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I checked today Edmunds and was surprised by the amount of negative reviews by costumers of the 2017 MDX. I am curious to find out what you guys think.
I am planning in either getting a 2017 SH-AWD base or 2017 Hybrid base.
Most of the complaints are due to noise and gear issues.

I love my current 2003 Acura due reliability but it's time to go. I want to stay loyal, but in the other hand I am wondering if this is a decision that I won't regret.
There is no hybrid base. Tech or advance only.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had my 17 SH-AWD Adv for about 3 months and love it. For me it was like buying a computer for the first time i.e. it would do so much it was a little overwhelming. I read the manual and experimented. A friend has one never read the manual and was happy with hers. I started showing her different features that she apparently didn't understand when she made her purchase.

Going from a regular car, in my case 13 CR-V, is like going from a flip phone to a iPhone. Oh, and my insurance on went up about $20 per year.

I'm a happy owner and would recommend just read over the manual then go back to the different features and give it a try. Also ask questions here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Review

I must be in the minority. we have a 2017 Tech SH/AWD with 10,000 miles. At 20 MPH the rpm will vary 300-400 with steady throttle pressure. The dealer tells me its me I'm over sensitive. The other problem's is the screen with all the controls in some light angles is impossible to read. And the buttons are close together, you have to take your eyes off the road to find the right button.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Check out Consumer reports "https://www.consumerreports.org/2017-acura-mdx/2017-acura-mdx-first-drive-review/". I like these guys as they use real consumer data.
Also my 17 MDX love it. One year of ownership no complaints at all. 5 Starts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm really loving my 14 Advance w/RES the JewelEye headlights are super amazing. I remember the first night I drove it I was like oh my god these Lights! They light up everything even for other cars. There was just no way in hell I was going to get a 2G MDX!

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am not happy with my 15 Advance and will be getting rid of it in December. Not sure what I'll get but it won't be an Acura. The company has ignored problems with the current one I have and this is my 3rd one. If you find something that bothers you when you test drive it you might as well get use to it because as I have been told that is normal operation and all of them on the lot do the same thing or there currently is no fix for that but we are working on it. I suggest you take it for an overnight test drive and really look it over and drive it enough to make sure you are going to be happy with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts