Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've never had a had/used a roof rack before and know nothing about them. about a year ago I got into a lease with a 2017 mdx and had the roof rails and cross bars installed.

I want to buy a 24' extension ladder (12' in length for transport) and am trying to figure out how to bring it home. Watching youtube videos on people attaching a ladder to a roof rack, the roof rack in the video always has the bars far apart, but with my MDX they are so close together, and it makes me worry about it potentially twisting and turning as I drive.

I'm looking for advice - should I have went with a different system? or is this spacing somewhat standard and it should be fine attaching a ladder to it?

thank you

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
If you want to carry a ladder on the rack you'd need to stabilize it by tying the ends of the ladder down at the front and rear. You'd also need to secure it well to the crossbars to make sure it doesn't slip from side to side. I wouldn't try to carry it via the roof rack.

With a 12 foot size you could carry it inside the vehicle with the rear hatch left up if you're only driving a short distance. If you do this leave the front windows down so you don't end up breathing drafted in exhaust.

Better yet, buy it at Home Depot and just rent one of their trucks for $20 and bring the ladder home in it and then go back and retrieve your vehicle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You could always buy the ladder online (amazon, Home Depot, Lowes, etc...) and get free shipping, then no worries for you.

·
Registered
870 Posts
It should be fine on the crossbars if you use front and rear tie-downs. You need to loop the rope or strap around the bar twice on each side of the load and get it good and tight to secure the load laterally. I would use straps rather than rope unless you're a sailor or former boy scout. ( I am a former boy scout, but I'd still use straps... ). If you anticipate doing things like this often, it might be wise to invest in some load braces for the crossbars. Gunwale brackets for canoes are good. The OEM crossbars are wide, so it's a challenge to get ones that fit. I have Yakima keelover brackets, but the Thule portage brackets look nice.

What's the sense of owning an "SUV" if you can't haul stuff?

https://www.rei.com/product/849951/yakima-keelover-canoe-carrier

https://www.rei.com/product/871132/thule-portage-canoe-gunwale-brackets

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.