Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been looking at getting an MDX and doing my research for the 2017 and came across these TSBs which are disappointing to see and know of a problem waiting to happen.

16-008 - High Pressure Fuel Pump Chirps

15-039 - Transmission End Cover Leaks (9-Speed A/T)

17-026 - Warranty Extension: MDX Transmission Chirps During 3-4 Shift, Poor
Shift Quality, or Engine Overheats Because of Defective ATF Warmer

If it is a new car, the only time I prefer it to be in the shop is for maintenance rather than issues like these and the crosd contamination issue would worry me the most. I also do not like weird noises.

I would think Acura would have gotten their act together for the 2018, at least I would like to think so considering the issues with the past, but alas new changes and newer things might always come with their own issues.

I know with the 2018s coming out, I am sure there is pressure to drop prices on the 2017s on the lot and the stealerships in my area are not short of MDXs at all.

If I do get a 2018 I realize they will not budge much on the price but I definitely do not want to pay MSRP. Is the wait worth the piece of mind?

Those that did buy a 2017, were or are you aware of the TSBs?

I wonder if I do negotiate a 2017, is it possible to have them replace the parts ahead of time? I sort of doubt they would do it until the problems surface.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Is the 2017 tech or adv sport hybrid an option compared to the 3.5L 9AT version? Seems all the TSB is related to the 3.5L+9AT powertrain. Unless you need to tow 3500-5000lbs, the sport hybrid might be the 100% solution.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am considering a tech sport hybrid (2nd row bench needed, so the captain's chairs are a deal breaker). I do love the 360 camera, parking sensors, and fog lights. Parking sensors should have been standard on a tech package! I am leaning more towards a non-hybrid tech for the towing. I would not be towing all the time but once in a while and would mostly use the hitch for a bike rack.

I do wonder in the long run whether the sport hybrid would be more upkeep, considering the DCT, electric motors, and of course the batteries. The DCTs will obviously need their clutches along with throw out bearings. I am guessing I might be able to get away with the high voltage lithium batteries being refreshed once every 100k?

Does anyone whom have purchased a 2017 sport hybrid inquire about Acura's warranties on the hybrid electrical components including the batteries? I seen some other manufacturers do 8 year / 100k warranties on the hybrid related components.

I also frown upon not seeing the engine coolant temperature gauge on the hybrid. There seems to be only a dummy light on saying when the engine is cold or when it is overheated.

The idea was to get an MDX and keep it and upkeep it for the next 10+ years. I also have not been too sure of the longevity of the push button gear shifter along with the electric parking brake. I do realize without adequate battery/power engagement or disengagement maybe difficult in certain situations.

I have been just hoping that these 2018's non-hybrids would not have the same issues as the 2017. I did see the 2017 hybrid with a TSB regarding the fuel feed and purge misrouting, which is something they can and should easily correct before a customer takes delivery.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It's not worth playing the game of 'wait for the next model year so all the problems will be fixed'. I call it that because there will likely be some issues with every model year and many of the issues end up going across multiple model years. I have an early (June 2013) 2014 MDX, the first year of production for the 3rd gen. Most of the issues that affected 'some' 2014 models also persisted to 2015 models and even beyond. This includes fuel pump chirps which date from at least the 2014 model and apparently can still exist. Some problems do get corrected via TSBs, including software updates, but inevitably more problems will crop up. It's important to know that most of the problems normally don't present them on all vehicles of the model year. In some cases the applicability is as low as a few hundred units. My 2014, for example, had none of the chirps, thumps, and various other issues some have posted here about and has been a solid vehicle with no issues.

I think you should focus on getting the model year you want given the true differences in model years (such as the 9 speed trans replacing the 6 speed as of the 2016 m/y and the 2018 apparently having Carplay/Auto, etc.) and the cost including the deals that can be had.

Rely on the factory warranty to fix any actual issues. The warranty on the Acura is a good one. Normally a TSB won't be applied unless your vehicle is exhibiting the issue and really there's no need to do it normally if yours doesn't have symptoms and keep in mind that many of the TSBs only apply to a limited number of vehicles - not necessarily every one of that model year. The factory warranty, together with a decent test drive of the actual vehicle you plan to buy (listening for noises, etc.) is what should help give you some peace of mind.

btw - Don't convince yourself it's not possible to get a decent deal on a new m/y - you can if you persist and are willing to try different dealerships. I suggest dealing through the internet sales department remotely to arrive at the best deal - not walking in and going through the salesperson dance, which I hate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want "2nd row bench" too. Acura should make it as an option in the Advance Package.
It looks to be an option for entertainment package but I see no choice selection for it. It might be a special order. I have no desire or need for the entertainment package.

Second-Row Bench Seating (even with Advance package)

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
Is the 2017 tech or adv sport hybrid an option compared to the 3.5L 9AT version? Seems all the TSB is related to the 3.5L+9AT powertrain. Unless you need to tow 3500-5000lbs, the sport hybrid might be the 100% solution.
Mostly agree, but isn't it a problem for sport hybrid if you want to tow >0 lbs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts