Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum here and searched high and low for information on my specific year but seems there isn't much information up yet.

I got a 2017 MDX back in November and I gotta say it's an awesome car. Except, it is burning factory oil. They got this new Acura Link app you can get for your smartphone that gives you the status of the car and the oil % indicator on the app is where I first noticed a drop in oil level. Initially, it fell an increment at 1200km and has been decreasing one increment every 1200-1300km. The dipstick on the car is about a quarter way up between the normal marks and the MID reads 60% oil life left.

At this rate, I feel by the time MID reads 0% or 10% I won't have any oil left in the car. I have purposefully not topped it off so when it drops to a very problematic level I can properly document it at the dealership. I called them once I initially noticed the problem and the guy at the service said no prior issues of this kind are known for the car and that it definitely shouldn't be burning oil also dropped a hint that I don't know how to check the oil level and to bring it in for them to check for me. Didn't do it right away cause I didn't feel like listening to the BS about how a tiny bit is normal etc etc etc.

Basically, I want to get your guy's opinion on whether this is normal or expected on a factory fill and during break-in? (4500km on the car now) Or, do I have a lemon on my hands?

I've come across more than a few articles claiming that nearly all new cars burn oil. I don't buy it! We have 7 vehicles in the family that are within 2 years old and absolutely not a single one burns oil and if it does it is not noticeable. I definitely didn't spend 60K on a car to drive around with an oil jug in the trunk and I am thinking Acura will try everything possible to avoid making seem like a legitimate issue.

In a nutshell, should I be worried? or is this normal in the beginning? and if it is in fact a serious issue what do you guys think is the best way to deal with it? or should I say the best way to deal with the dealer...

Sorry for the rant guys but nothing more frustrating than spending this kind of money on a brand new car and having to deal with this straight from the lot. If I wanted this problem I would've gotten a Chevy at half the price.

Looking forward to all the valuable input you experts might have!

Cheers
Alex

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
You do Understand that the % is for OIL LIFE and not Capacity right? Capacity can only be check through the Dipstick manually. Break-In oil will deplete its oil life faster than the later normal oil changes, This is normal.
The % is the amount of oil life, Once it reaches 15% it will tell you is almost due for an Oil Change at 10% = Change oil ASAP, 0% = Change Engine Oil Now.

This is ALL in your Owners Manual.
Correct engine oil level is between the dots in the Dipstick when Hot, If you are above half dots when Hot then its all good.. If you are below Half Dots then it might require a little bit of oil.

Again, This is all in your Owners Manual!! You should give it a read.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
OP said his oil is a quarter way between the marks on the dipstick.

But skirmich is right that the app does not give you oil level but rather oil life (like your MID percentage shows, so they should match).

The question is: has it been at this level since the beginning or has it been falling, which i do not see from your narrative, OP.

Also, have you checked for leaks at the filter and pan (or anywhere else for that matter)?

Moreover, are you checking oil immediately after engine shut off or are you giving it some time? Checking oil immediately usually gives you a low indication since it takes time for the oil to return to the right level from the engine. Engine oil does not expand/contract between hot and cold as much as other fluids do (e.g. ATF), so even cold should not be a big difference.

Personally, i have not lost a drop. I ran the factory oil for about a year until the MID showed 10%.

I would be concerned but it is critical to know why the service folks thought you were checking it incorrectly.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah I did initially think it was an oil life indicator (thanks for confirming). Will admit I had doubts about it once I started noticing the drops on the dipstick at roughly the same intervals.

I first checked the oil on the car at first fuel up after about 450km and it was full to the max. Today I was getting some fuel and checked the oil again and it was at the very minimum, right at the bottom hash mark. Yes, the oil was hot and yes it was off for about 10 min before I checked. It's definitely burning oil.

I will be dropping by the dealer first thing in the new year. If I'm not mistaking this is excessive even for break-in. I read somewhere here guys claiming that Acura can say that a quart per 1000 miles is normal. To me that seems beyond anything reasonable for a 2017.

Also, how many people here are actually putting 0w20 oil in? It's like water and from what I read they only use it for better fuel economy but what about actual engine protection? Anyone substituting with 0w30, 0w40 or even 5w30?

What's your take on that? ( Looking for for an educated answer/opinion and not an owners manual referral)

Cheers

·
Registered
89 Posts
Go ahead and take it into your dealer and see what they say.

The engine in the 2017's is the same one as in the 2014-2016's and they haven't been reported to burn oil.

When I first bought my MDX I was paranoid at every little thing. I was jumping to conclusions and practically trying to find something wrong with it. I got a PPI and I also had a few mechanic friends of mine look at it, and in the end they just confirmed what the dealer had been telling me the whole time, nothing was wrong.

Also I personally wouldn't substitute the oil. Not trying to be mean, but I trust the engineers at Acura more then I trust something I just read online. Good luck

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
That 1 QT per 1000 miles excuse is something almost all manufactures use. Subaru used it on us and folks sued them (and won because the problem is way worse in many cases).

Substituting other weight oil is generally fine, as you will often see that there are acceptable ranges based on your operating temperatures. Funny you mention 5w-30 because Acura/Honda made a booboo in their 17 documents, recommending 5w-30 on one document (i think the owners guide) and 0w-20 on others. Personally, I've been using 5w-20 and have no changes in mpgs. Acceleration behavior is still the same too. I have noticed differences on other cars when i change to a weight that is too heavy, like a 10w-30 was a problem in my Subaru.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Interested to see what the dealer says. Have someone follow you and see if any smoke comes out under hard acceleration. That's a sign of excessive oil burning. Hopefully non issue

·
Registered
962 Posts
At least in models prior to factory fill with synthetic, Honda/Acura used a "break-in" formulation. Recommendation was to change at 4 - 5 thousand miles to "Standard" oil.

I never wait until the maintenance minder gets to zero. I just changed at 5000 miles (Mostly road trip miles) and it said 40% remaining. The oil came out almost as black a a diesel oil change.

Everyone has a different opinion on oils, so here's mine: I live in Florida, so it almost never gets down below 30 degrees. I use 5W20 all year for normal driving.

When I tow my camper in the Summer (90 degree weather) I go to 5W30.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Every car I've had in the past with a high compression engine and vavlve timing burnt oil. The manufacturer may say it is normal but this does lead inevitably to issues with clogged/failed catalytic converters and fouled o2 sensors with higher millage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to know if it came to anything. I own a 2017 MDX purchased last November, it's past 8K miles right now and I started smelling a distinct smell of burnt oil. Now bear with me, I'm a female with a very sensitive nose, but I've rode in many very old cars in my life and I know how burnt oil smells like. I smelled the same thing in one of the dealership's loaners once when I had to bring mine in for service.

As far as why now, the only thing I did different is a few days ago I put it in the Sports mode for a little bit.

I'm just wondering if I'm the only crazy person who smells weir things and thinks that's not normal or if someone else's MDX done the same.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The car at startup has a very distinctive smell..
The ECU will run it super rich at startup to heat up the cats, So it will make a funny smell when cold.

If you can detect the smell when the car is HOT then it will be a different thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts