Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to trade in my '14 TL SHAWD ADV for either a '17 SHAWD MDX ADV or comparable BMW X5.
I love my '14 TL's handling The mid range speed, cornering and over all power in this car is i think second to none for a '14 Japanese vehicle. That said i am a bit concerned i am going to be disappointed by the. '17 MDX SHAWD Adv

How is the handling / cornering mid range power braking etc in the '17 MDX SHAWD ?
Does is come close to an comparable X5?

How is the Braking? Stereo ? Infomant sys ( I think '14 is quicker)

Appreciate options / thoughts !!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
A 14 TL is the Acura of old, which i think Ikeda is trying to lead the company back to... Hopefully with lessons learned through. The X5 really does better than the MDX in all the areas you've asked about and coming from a sedan, you find the adjustment difficult. I still keep around a modded awd wagon for much of that enjoyment (with utility). That being said, the MDX and X5 are kind of in different price classes, and the MDX is a more of a value oriented choice (imo) while the X5 is... not. The bigger question is if the MDX is good enough for the money you want to spend or if your a no compromise kind of guy and want the best for your budget (a $# we don't know).

Having driven both, the MDX was certainly good enough for me within my 60k range.

Power is decent, but i want more torque. For the weight, it needs about 310 ft lbs.

Handling is decent as well, but softer than previous generations because this caters to a bigger audience now. It actually handles worse than my 2000 Odyssey IMO, but still better than most similar SUVs.

Braking wise i swear we should be using 330mm discs but they suffice.

The navi/infotainment is laggy at start, OK once loaded, but voice commands and address entry are mildly infuriating. BT has a noticeable 3 second delay, HD FM barely works because the antenna blows. Most of these don't bother me because i just stream and navigate using waze.

Test drive will show you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
All. Thanks so much for the responses. Clearly recognize going from a sports sedan to any SUV will be different. I have driven both and agree for ~$60K your not going to find anything better / equipped then the MDX. I guess for me its going to come down to whether i want to pay the $ for maintaining an X5 that provides more dynamic performance or pay less and admittly get less with the MDX

Last few questions if i may..
Is the trans performance better or worse after a few thousand miles / kilo's ?
Does anyone use Sirius and how does the sterao sound
Are the tires thinner then last year or is it me. I do know they are 20's

How is the drying in snow.
I put 4 Blizzaks on my TL and ithe performance was fantastic in snow slush etc. if i ge the MDX may do the same ..

Thks so much

·
Registered
151 Posts
I Think Neoshi nailed it. I have a 2017 SHAWD that I have put about 4000 miles on since last August. I would characterize Acura, at least through my experience with the MDX, as a "sub-luxury" experience. In essence, a Honda with lipstick. I have experienced a rattle that required a return for service (something loose under the carriage) and still experience a noisy cabin with vibrations/rattle sounds over light bumps and a noticeable knock as it transitions power from the rear PTU. Still, I am satisfied thus far with my ownership experience based on looks, handling, fuel economy (surprisingly great at 22mpg in town) and relative value. I checked out the X-5, Q-7 and XC-90 and all (in my estimation) were not worth the extra coin for a similarly equipped MDX. By the way, I find the sound system "ok" with nothing special at all about it, but good enough that I would not upgrade it. Also, the transmission is really not very smooth (hunts and pecks for gears at slower driving speed) yet it is not that bad at the same time. Truthfully, I had expected better for an Acura. You probably get the picture; I'd give the MDX a "C+".

Highs:
- price to value
- fuel economy
- styling
- handling/driving experience
- safety features

Lows:
- infotainment - a miserable underprformer
- transmission - not that bad, but not great

Let your drive and wallet decide.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for your insight. Very descriptive and informative. I plan to test drive a SHAWD adv no weekend - I will say that my dealership. Maint crew is exceptional and i also have experianced the joys of ( "what the heck was that sound moments")
The dealer main team have systematically taken the TL apart and found the issue. Addmitttly i go over a stretch of cobble stones daily with no noise now...
I will provide an update post my test drive
Thank you all once again !

·
Registered
201 Posts
Advance Pricing

I Think Neoshi nailed it. I have a 2017 SHAWD that I have put about 4000 miles on since last August. I would characterize Acura, at least through my experience with the MDX, as a "sub-luxury" experience. In essence, a Honda with lipstick. I have experienced a rattle that required a return for service (something loose under the carriage) and still experience a noisy cabin with vibrations/rattle sounds over light bumps and a noticeable knock as it transitions power from the rear PTU. Still, I am satisfied thus far with my ownership experience based on looks, handling, fuel economy (surprisingly great at 22mpg in town) and relative value. I checked out the X-5, Q-7 and XC-90 and all (in my estimation) were not worth the extra coin for a similarly equipped MDX. By the way, I find the sound system "ok" with nothing special at all about it, but good enough that I would not upgrade it. Also, the transmission is really not very smooth (hunts and pecks for gears at slower driving speed) yet it is not that bad at the same time. Truthfully, I had expected better for an Acura. You probably get the picture; I'd give the MDX a "C+".

Highs:
- price to value
- fuel economy
- styling
- handling/driving experience
- safety features

Lows:
- infotainment - a miserable underprformer
- transmission - not that bad, but not great

Let your drive and wallet decide.
Good analysis. However, as a 2009 MDX owner looking to replace my vehicle in the near future, I start to question the price to value ratio when an Acura Advance, with the pluses and minuses you noted, is within a few thousand of a nicely equipped Q7 Premium Plus (at least in my area). The fit and finish of the Q, and the lack of road noise relative to the Advance, make it a competitive upgrade. Reliability seems to be on the upswing, too, at least per Consumer Reports' review. In the end, I'll need to see if my saved pennies can make the stretch.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ive had my 17 Adv for about a month now and prefer it over all the other MDXs I've owned (08,10,12,15)

I do have a rattle in the cabin that I must take in to have em find it. But other than that, there are many 'little' featuers I love that I didnt realize how much I would value:

-Ventilated seats! Why have i not had these until now?!
-The LKAS, Adaptive CC, and low speed follow are great!
-I've never had a problem with the Infotainment system - I can verbally enter an address, I can call acuralink, or I can use my app to input addresses.
- Abundant USB ports
- Auto door lock upon walking away (this is the smallest of features but one of my favorite)
- Brake Hold
- push button shifting

Now a couple things I DONT like:

- I cant stand the autoengine shut off while stopped. And I hate it even more that I have to disable the feature EVERY TIME I START THE ENGINE
- Not a fan of the transmission at low speeds.

I've taken it on two 600 mile roadtrips and love the 17 MDX - very comfortable and easy to drive.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ive had my 17 Adv for about a month now and prefer it over all the other MDXs I've owned (08,10,12,15)

I do have a rattle in the cabin that I must take in to have em find it. But other than that, there are many 'little' featuers I love that I didnt realize how much I would value:

-Ventilated seats! Why have i not had these until now?!
-The LKAS, Adaptive CC, and low speed follow are great!
-I've never had a problem with the Infotainment system - I can verbally enter an address, I can call acuralink, or I can use my app to input addresses.
- Abundant USB ports
- Auto door lock upon walking away (this is the smallest of features but one of my favorite)
- Brake Hold
- push button shifting

Now a couple things I DONT like:

- I cant stand the autoengine shut off while stopped. And I hate it even more that I have to disable the feature EVERY TIME I START THE ENGINE
- Not a fan of the transmission at low speeds.

I've taken it on two 600 mile roadtrips and love the 17 MDX - very comfortable and easy to drive.
The autoengine shut off is the idle stop I'm guessing which my base model doesn't seem to have. I agree about the transmission at low speeds. It feels weird shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Also, the rattle might be the fuel pump. There's a TSB regarding it. I hear it when I have the hood popped but not in the cabin. Might have to eventually take it in for repair.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As i mentioned earlier, I have Blizzaks on my '14 SHAWD TL Adv and the car is awsome in the snow and light ice. I live in the US NE so this year so far we have been lucky
Curious what current MDXers hve experianced both with and w/o snow tires... I think in the end i will get them on any SUV decided upon

By the way. Q7 do not come with spares. X5's you have a location in back deck to store one ( under the back panel )
An add.tl exp for $150

I believe the adv has a spare but the other models do not....is this true ??

Even if the Q7 & X5 have run flats ..... I grow up on spares and until my car levitates over the road, i wish t have one ......
I will give up the 3 miles per fill up and reduction in space for a spare

·
Registered
125 Posts
As i mentioned earlier, I have Blizzaks on my '14 SHAWD TL Adv and the car is awsome in the snow and light ice. I live in the US NE so this year so far we have been lucky
Curious what current MDXers hve experianced both with and w/o snow tires... I think in the end i will get them on any SUV decided upon

By the way. Q7 do not come with spares. X5's you have a location in back deck to store one ( under the back panel )
An add.tl exp for $150

I believe the adv has a spare but the other models do not....is this true ??

Even if the Q7 & X5 have run flats ..... I grow up on spares and until my car levitates over the road, i wish t have one ......
I will give up the 3 miles per fill up and reduction in space for a spare
I believe the SH-AWD models come with spares albeit compact spares. A full size is available if you tow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife and I have a 2009 tech with entertainment - has about 133k miles - did the big B16 service recently. Timing belt, the whole deal, spark plugs, etc.

really like the 09 - wife drives the 17 Advance - she wanted BT audio traded in a 2011 A4 that had BT phone only - I drive a 12 S4 as a DD.

Coming from a 2005 TL long since retired and the 09 MDX I think the 17 could do some work on the Nav and voice control. I try Siri Eyes free and it works ok.

I've driven maybe a few hundred miles and it seems to be fine. Just about broke it in with less than 2000 miles on it -

kinda bummed Acura Link doesn't auto start - but maybe that will happen sometime -

I drive the 2009 MDX occasionally to get a change from the S4 -

Had a Q7 years 6 ago and didn't want to relive that experience. I didn't think the Q7 price warranted the extra cost - We will likely keep this for 6 or 7 years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.