Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

New member! Just picked up a black 2017 MDX Elite/Advance pkg and am loving the car. Hope to learn more about it from the MDX Community!

Since my car is obviously brand new, and I live in Ontario (we get some snow!) Im looking at ways to protect the paint as much as possible as I definately want to keep the car for a good 5-8 years or more...

I was thinking of putting 3MM on front hood, and the fender but am on the fence on the merits so hoping you guys and gals can help me with the decision:

1. Since the car is black, will be doing regular highway driving etc and exposed to the canadian winters, will the 3MM protect the paint?
2. Lets say 3 years from now, I want to remove the 3MM - Will the hood match the rest of the car after a quick clean up or will the paint be mis matched?
3. Is the 3MM overall worth it or am I over thinking ? :)

Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've put both 3M and XPel clear protection on my vehicles. Both have protected my vehicles from chips and bugs, but I would never put 3M on my car again. Too many issues with yellowing / clouding / fading. I would highly recommend the XPel product, installed by a professional.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I have 3M UV film from a custom installer from large sheets (no a pre-cut kit) on 12-18 inches up my hood, painted parts of front bumper, front forward edge of fenders, side view mirrors, headlights, and fogs.
- 06 TSX since new +10 yrs
- 08 RDX since 2010
- 11 MDX since 2014

No issues with discolorations, peeling, or causing headlights to haze living in the southwest. The kid had an front accident in the TSX in 2014 and the film was replaced. I replaced the 3M film on my TSX fogs back in 2012 from road rash damage; but, no broken fogs or damaged fog lens with the 3M protection. The 3M film is suppose to allow natural aging of the paint from sun exposure; but, block UV rays that discolor headlights.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I put Xpel on my TLX. Highly recommended, although not cheap. Cost just over $1K for the full kit. Now, after over a year and 15,000 miles, it still looks great.

·
Registered
962 Posts
FYI, the 3m product has a very bad reputation the RV community where it is often factory installed. I had it on my 2008 Motor Home, and it had nicks and holes in it from bugs and stones within 3 years. It looked terrible up close, and the only "cure" is to remove it. That can cause damage to the paint according to folks who have tried it. It is possible that it has been improved since then, but I will never use it again.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
If you plan to pull the bra after 3 years, just keep in mind that applying clear bra to a new car often means you are applying the bra to a fresh repaint (cars are almost always damaged in shipping). Paint requires about 90 days to fully cure and your installer usually includes a disclaimer about putting bras on repaints. When you pull it off years later, you have to be really careful so as to not pull off paint with it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ Thanks for all the feedback folks.

I decided to hold back on the 3MM for now based on conflicting views....the dealer did try to push me into buying it and gave me a decent deal but I asked him to hold back.

My primary aim is to protect the vehicle and the black paint as much as possible...as I may not sell this thing for at least 5-7 years and even then will probably trade it in for a newer MDX in 7 years time so being quite paranoid about keeping my car in excellent shape without a repaint - I wanted to spring for the 3MM but it seems it may do more damage than good so Ill hold back and look for the XPel if I can find a good place nearby.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Another thing to consider as well is that sometimes the clear bra install costs about $2k (here in socal) and a repaint costs around half that. I kept getting quotes for Xpel at around $1.8-2k and decided to just repaint it later since I know the bumper costs about $800 to repaint and the hood is about half that. Regional costs play a lot into the decision process, as does the paint color you have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another thing to consider as well is that sometimes the clear bra install costs about $2k (here in socal) and a repaint costs around half that. I kept getting quotes for Xpel at around $1.8-2k and decided to just repaint it later since I know the bumper costs about $800 to repaint and the hood is about half that. Regional costs play a lot into the decision process, as does the paint color you have.
Yeah, I think there are pros and cons to both. I was being charged 500 canadian to do the 3MM for the front hood, fender, and side mirrors - not too bad based on the quotes I got elsewhere. They all claim the warranty outlasts the car but its hard to believe them !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts