Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the hitch, painted hitch cover and painted splash guards for a complete, NO black plastic, look! Cost to paint the 4 splash guards and rear hitch cover was $368 at a local body shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
What are you going to hook up to your hitch?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
That looks really good. I was considering doing the same for my 2016, but we have a lot more black plastic down there in comparison, so it all kind of clashes a bit on the rear bumper part.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hitch and all looks good, I still don't like the fake exhaust tips built into the bumper cover...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hitch and all looks good, I still don't like the fake exhaust tips built into the bumper cover...
Fake?
The exhaust does exit through them on 17s. Not a reflector like previous years.
Now, the tail pipe is not welded to the bezel/surround, but it's still an exit so I'll argue the use of fake.

OP, it looks good painted. What wheels are those? Factory 20'' options?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Installed the hitch, painted hitch cover and painted splash guards for a complete, NO black plastic, look! Cost to paint the 4 splash guards and rear hitch cover was $368 at a local body shop.
Pretty fly for a white guy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice pics! Bumping this thread back up as I'm trying to locate a suitable hitch for a bike rack on my 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance as well. Which hitch is this shown and/or have others had any success in installing different ones? I am not towing, only adding a bike rack, and like the clean look of this install.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice pics! Bumping this thread back up as I'm trying to locate a suitable hitch for a bike rack on my 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance as well. Which hitch is this shown and/or have others had any success in installing different ones? I am not towing, only adding a bike rack, and like the clean look of this install.

Thanks!
ITs a factory Acura unit..I installed myself...no problem

·
Registered
791 Posts
Looks good, as long as it's clear that Acura recommends against any towing with the hybrid. A small bike rack is probably fine but definitely shouldn't tow anything substantial.

·
Registered
105 Posts
DIY Lunar Silver splash guards.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Scuffed the plastic with sandpaper, primed, painted and clear coated with spray can products from Scratch Wizard (https://scratchwizard.net).

I'm sure the job isn't as good as the pros did for the OP - hence no close up shots:wink: If doing over again, I'd probably skip the scuff (or use 400+ paper) and not bother with the primer, as the paint adhesion in over spray areas without scuff or primer seemed just as good, if not better, than the areas with full treatment.

I also applied 3M paint protection film before attaching the guards. While doing this, I noticed there was already PPF on the lower rear section behind the rear wheel well. Previously I had noticed a small section of PPF on the lower panel in front of the rear tire and on the door edges. Wondering if this is standard Acura/MDX prep or something special my dealer did/does?

·
Registered
82 Posts
NanoNano,
How many cans of paint and primer did it take to do the job? Other posts complained that the guards didn't fit quite right, how did yours? Thanks...

·
Registered
105 Posts
GrebRL,

The 12oz spray cans of primer, base paint and clear coat were plenty.

For the most part, I'd say the fit is OK and the splash guards look fine, especially at "normal" viewing distance. On the other hand, if I'm up close and in a nitpicking mood, the quality of workmanship at the factory and in my driveway both have room for improvement.

When doing the front splash guards, body panel/part alignment was an issue, as I found the piece below the door was sticking out more on the left/driver's side, than the one on the right side. Even after trying to realign it, the left splash guard has more of a gap in the area above that piece, as seen in the pics. Don't know if it's related, but the front left was also one of the wheel liners that had stripped screws, a real PITA to deal with.

Alloy wheel Wheel Vehicle Vehicle door Tire
Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim

There are also some small gaps and differences in the rear guards. I went through a couple of iterations, loosening the screws and readjusting, to get things where they are. My main concern is that every time I retightened the screws, they seemed to lose a little grip.

Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle
Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

One of these days, if I'm feeling really picky and the fit bugs me enough, I may take another shot at adjusting. Or not.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Really need a hitch on my new 18 Hybrid - reading this looks like I can order the hitch from Acura parts and install myself? Dealers wants close to $1000 installed... Was it fairly plug and play or was it complex. I am a decent home mechanic but dont have a lift, paint booth, etc... Dont need any wiring as I am bike rack only. thanks!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Really need a hitch on my new 18 Hybrid - reading this looks like I can order the hitch from Acura parts and install myself? Dealers wants close to $1000 installed... Was it fairly plug and play or was it complex. I am a decent home mechanic but dont have a lift, paint booth, etc... Dont need any wiring as I am bike rack only. thanks!
The hitch is easy to install with basic hand tools. You don't even have to lift the MDX off the ground.

The only "hard" part would be painting the bumper insert if you want it to be a color other than plain black plastic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts