Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much benefit is there from the fog lights? In the next couple of months, I will be getting a 2017 awd tech and I am trying to decide if it is worth the added cost.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I don't have fog lights but I think the fog lights are mostly decoration - a number of others, including some who have them, have posted the same opinion. The reason I say this is because of the LED headlights, which are very good by themselves in fog due to the light pattern they throw, including to the side and a certain cutoff line on the vertical that doesn't throw the light back into your face, and the seeming ability to cut through some of the fog. I don't think they're worth the cost and this practical point may be why they're just not included with the base vehicle (since it'snot exactly a stripped low cost vehicle even as a base).

Most people who have posted about getting them seem to have done it for decorative purposes - i.e. they think the vehicle looks better with them - I think they're small and not noticeable and don't add much decoration.

Since the fogs can be added later I suggest you skip them for now and just see what you think of the headlights in the fog and if you later decide you think you need fogs you can then add them but if you decide the headlights are adequate you can save some hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have 17 tech but no fog lights , I think the headlights r already enough. Fog lights cost 450 bucks on ebay

从我的 iPad 发送,使用 Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have fog lights on my 2016 Elite and they are useless. Decoration only. Never turn them on. My last car, a 2013 Audi Allroad had very functional fog lights that really brightened up the road directly in front of the car. But the MDX do nothing. That said, the MDX has full LED headlights, the Audi had xenon.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I agree that the fog lights are more cosmetic than functional. They do add some brightness in the near front and to both corners. With fog, my X definitely looks different from most Acura with LED.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got them included with my lease. I find they add a nice look to the front. Having said that, that's about all they do. They don't appear to add any visibility for the driver.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yeah, add some fill-in light immediately in front of vehicle at night. They look nice, though. When you think about it, why doesn't the Tech package, which puts the MDX over $50k, have them, when cars costing HALF as much include them? I think they try to add bells and whistles to Advance to justify the extra cost. Why doesn't the Tech have, at least, rear parking warning sensors? No rear parking sensors on a $50k plus car? Wow.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Yeah, add some fill-in light immediately in front of vehicle at night. They look nice, though. When you think about it, why doesn't the Tech package, which puts the MDX over $50k, have them, when cars costing HALF as much include them? I think they try to add bells and whistles to Advance to justify the extra cost. Why doesn't the Tech have, at least, rear parking warning sensors? No rear parking sensors on a $50k plus car? Wow.
This is why the new Pilot is a heck of a better value... Its the "BETTER" MDX for 10K Less.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is why the new Pilot is a heck of a better value... Its the "BETTER" MDX for 10K Less.
That $10k cannot help the fact that it looks like a minivan that's been to crossfit. Couldn't bring myself to buy one.

Anyhow, back on topic shall we? It's nice to hear that the LED fogs are mostly a cosmetic addition because this was a planned upgrade for me later on. Looks like roof rails will be next on the list.

Reactions: Craigy

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the 2017 fogs are 90% cosmetic and 10% functional. They do throw a little extra light off to the sides in the near front of the car, but very little "down the road". Good for seeing road edges, but not useful in the traditional sense of fog lights. I would not have paid extra to have them, and only got them because the advance package.

·
Registered
60 Posts
if you are buying, tell them you want that included.

you can say I got mines for free, will not buy unless they where included. I accepted to pay $140 labor to installed. worth it. they are mainly for aesthetics.

·
Registered
837 Posts
How much benefit is there from the fog lights? In the next couple of months, I will be getting a 2017 awd tech and I am trying to decide if it is worth the added cost.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I have driving lights/fog lights on my 2016. had them on my 2011 too. I love them. They do add some side light. Not a lot, but I notice it and like it. I always get the driving lights. Worth it for me.

·
Registered
894 Posts
In the city, fog lights serve little purpose. On rural roads they provide additional light on the sides of the road, particularly helpful in areas where deer are prevalent. Oddly enough, they also provide additional light on the road at night when driving in fog.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have driving lights/fog lights on my 2016. had them on my 2011 too. I love them. They do add some side light. Not a lot, but I notice it and like it. I always get the driving lights. Worth it for me.

I agree. When the lights are off, it is for decorative. However, at night when in use, it provides additional useful side lighting (that the LED headlights do not cover) and some light in front of the bumper. At first I thought it was useless until I had it properly aimed and adjusted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts