Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to change some filters on a 17 MDX sh awd. There are a few brands available.
I see there is a K&N reusable cabin air filter for around $40 bucks. Anybody have any experience?
Does this oem Cabin Air Filter # 80292-SDA-407 fit the MDX? Ebay has these oem filters for $16 bucks.
And...What air filter is everybody using?

·
Registered
962 Posts
K&N engine air filters are not a good match for engines with Mass AirFlow Sensors. The sensors are very sensitive to any contamination like fibers and oil that can come off of a K&N. Stick with stock.

IMO, no reason not to buy OEM cabin filters. Just get them from Acura dealers online so you don't get ripped by the local Acura Stealership.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I stuck with the OEM Acura filters for engine air, cabin air, engine oil. I bought the filters at a local Acura dealer but only after asking them to price match online Acura dealer pricing. They were willing to match this time but I had to do some talking them into it so next time I may just buy online to start with. Dealers view parts sales as an opportunity to make a lot of money.

I've never purchased K&N for anything - they're way overpriced on anything I've seen them offer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cabin air filters are HEPA filters and will filter out tiny particles like pollen. No way is a reusable filter going to do that. Also, K&N filters do offer very marginally better flow rate when freshly cleaned, but they have less surface are and are MUCH more porous, meaning they let in bigger particles and they pack up quicker. They don't make much sense on a daily driver kind of vehicle.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Isn't there a guy who works for a dealer on the forum?
and what Acura website are you guys using for pricing?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
K&N engine air filters are not a good match for engines with Mass AirFlow Sensors. The sensors are very sensitive to any contamination like fibers and oil that can come off of a K&N. Stick with stock.

IMO, no reason not to buy OEM cabin filters. Just get them from Acura dealers online so you don't get ripped by the local Acura Stealership.
Since when is trying to make a profit stealing? Stealing signifies something illegal. Dealers support a whole network of people. Including people who may be your neighbors. You have the right to buy wherever you want. But to say that because you don’t like the price that they are ripping you is just wrong. Next time there is a recall or a TSB fix,try calling the dealer you bought from online and make an appointment. Oh wait,that dealer is 1,000 miles away. Don’t you people read the paper? People are losing their jobs every day because of buying online. You want to save money,fine. Go to your dealer and they will probably match the price. Support the dealer that supports your car. Yes,I worked in retail and have seen first hand what is happening.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Next time there is a recall or a TSB fix,try calling the dealer you bought from online and make an appointment. Oh wait,that dealer is 1,000 miles away.
This is somewhat off of your point but in case some readers don't realize - it doesn't matter where you buy the vehicle - you can take it to any Acura dealer for warranty work.

·
Registered
733 Posts
For the Engine Air Filter I stick to OEM ($23) at my local Acura. I frequent them so they give me 20% off each order. They always have it in stock and I know it’s not a fake (yup you have to watch out for that)

I think the last time I checked Walmart it was $14-17 for a Fram - never used it.

My local mom and pop auto shop charges $25-28 for a decent brand I can’t recall.

For the cabin air filter I have been using the WIX brand but I am going to try the Fram Baking Soda one - already bought it - haven’t got to installing it yet. I dread opening up the glove box because my wife stuffs everything and anything in there.

I actually think the OEM Filter is cheaper than all these aftermarket ones now. There are some under $10 - not sure how good they are but I suspect there’s a serious markup on these because my HVAC filters for Home are half the cost of these and they are twice to three times the size of the media.

Anyone try the $10 Cabin Air Filters?

Don’t forget to vacuum and clean the filter box before you install the new one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Since when is trying to make a profit stealing? Stealing signifies something illegal. Dealers support a whole network of people. Including people who may be your neighbors. You have the right to buy wherever you want. But to say that because you don’t like the price that they are ripping you is just wrong. Next time there is a recall or a TSB fix,try calling the dealer you bought from online and make an appointment. Oh wait,that dealer is 1,000 miles away. Don’t you people read the paper? People are losing their jobs every day because of buying online. You want to save money,fine. Go to your dealer and they will probably match the price. Support the dealer that supports your car. Yes,I worked in retail and have seen first hand what is happening.
what if my B2 service quote was $480?
($190 of which was to change the filter)

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
This is somewhat off of your point but in case some readers don't realize - it doesn't matter where you buy the vehicle - you can take it to any Acura dealer for warranty work.
I think most people on this forum know you can take it anywhere for service. My point is support the dealer that supports you. The one you go to for service.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
My point was support the dealer. They will match the parts price. My response was to the original post I quoted. I’m not saying don’t DIY if that’s your thing. Yes prices are high. But they also have a lot of overhead. That doesn’t mean they are ripping you off and certainly not stealing. If you are buying parts from a dealer. Buy from the dealer that supports you.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Wait - is that real? You got an Acura Dealer quote for $480 for the B2 service (nothing else)? How is that real - that's obscene!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Wait - is that real? You got an Acura Dealer quote for $480 for the B2 service (nothing else)? How is that real - that's obscene!
yes it's real. I'm Canadian.
everything's ridiculously expensive here.
So about $390 US? Still obscene!

You can do this all yourself save yourself some cash and use better oil and oil
Filter in the process.

I know is cold out now but if needed the engine air filter is a snap to change (literally 4 snaps) and the cabin air is a pinch to change - no tools required.

As for the oil change if you are not up for it yet or if it’s too cold out there are plenty of places outside the dealer that can do a good lube and tire rotate job for $40-60 US.

Reactions: wuryan

·
Registered
414 Posts
I can't believe what most dealers (not just Acura) charge to change a cabin air filter. In the old days (like my 2006 MDX) it's a bit more involved, with the glove box needing to be removed, but in the 3rd gen MDX, you can almost do it with your eyes closed..no tools needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts