Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Base MDX with right at 50,000 miles.

Symptom - After driving on the highway for about 500 miles, I noticed a weird smell when I got out of the car. It smelled like something burning almost like the smell of burnt plastic.

What I’ve been able to figure out is that I can run the car in the garage and seem to get the same smell... could just be lingering from last night but again just sharing as much info for those of you much more familiar with these cars. Car drives and brakes perfectly fine at this point.

I’ve searched all over the forums and thought I was looking at a potential brake caliper issue or possibly oil burning off from a recent oil change? But wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone else has had this issue?

I also should mention I have not had the recall service done for the fuel pump yet (not sure this would matter) but felt is add this in case

I know there’s no way to diagnose a smell over a forum... but if anyone has experienced anything like this and could share what the problem / solution was I would really appreciate it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
2017 Base MDX with right at 50,000 miles.

Symptom - After driving on the highway for about 500 miles, I noticed a weird smell when I got out of the car. It smelled like something burning almost like the smell of burnt plastic.

What I’ve been able to figure out is that I can run the car in the garage and seem to get the same smell... could just be lingering from last night but again just sharing as much info for those of you much more familiar with these cars. Car drives and brakes perfectly fine at this point.

I’ve searched all over the forums and thought I was looking at a potential brake caliper issue or possibly oil burning off from a recent oil change? But wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone else has had this issue?

I also should mention I have not had the recall service done for the fuel pump yet (not sure this would matter) but felt is add this in case

I know there’s no way to diagnose a smell over a forum... but if anyone has experienced anything like this and could share what the problem / solution was I would really appreciate it!
I had that problem on my Acura TL and what had happened was there's a couple of nights I had to stay in my car and sleep so I would leave my car running and in doing so at a low idle like that it causes the alternator are pictures or whatever to get hot and it creates extreme amount of resistance burning up the brushes I guess or something like that anyways. Plastic smell was indeed plastic that was getting hot under my hood because the alternator was getting very very very hot and so is all the wiring

1 - 2 of 2 Posts