Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Has anyone with a base model successfully added/installed the remote start themselves? I know the dealer has to program the new remotes. I did some research and noticed that I will possibly need an antenna thats from a tech/advance model for it to work. I found this on ebay but this seller said the white antenna is on back order - Genuine Acura 2017 MDX BASE Factory Remote Engine Start Kit 38015-TZ5-XXX OEM | eBay

I called around dealers and one wanted $599 plus tax for it and another wanted $525 plus tax (this dealer claimed I do not need a new antenna). Not sure which route to go, has anyone successfully added this on their own?

·
Registered
60 Posts
So a new remote on eBay $299 easy to install yourself, but you have to get your dealer to program. Normally 1 hour labor. If you good they'll charge you less.. be sure to get newest remote start unit because there's 2 out there for sale the newest has longer range. Not sure part number. Good luck..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hey guys,

Has anyone with a base model successfully added/installed the remote start themselves? I know the dealer has to program the new remotes. I did some research and noticed that I will possibly need an antenna thats from a tech/advance model for it to work. I found this on ebay but this seller said the white antenna is on back order - Genuine Acura 2017 MDX BASE Factory Remote Engine Start Kit 38015-TZ5-XXX OEM | eBay

I called around dealers and one wanted $599 plus tax for it and another wanted $525 plus tax (this dealer claimed I do not need a new antenna). Not sure which route to go, has anyone successfully added this on their own?
Review this post and TSB first -- http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-thi...esent/91865-tsb-s-2014-mdx-2.html#post1107737

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So a new remote on eBay $299 easy to install yourself, but you have to get your dealer to program. Normally 1 hour labor. If you good they'll charge you less.. be sure to get newest remote start unit because there's 2 out there for sale the newest has longer range. Not sure part number. Good luck..

Its $350 on ebay on the link above that I posted since they claim I need a different antenna (the one thats standard on advance odels) in addition. I attached the instructions here and it does show the antenna.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
buying a Honda Diagnostic System might be cheaper than going to the dealer for programming

A side note: I know both the dealer and manual claims programming requires the HDS tool. But, a Lexus I own claims the same, and I was successful in programming a new key using some ignition/off/brake pedal sequence. I forgot how it was done, but it was about 1 hours of googling + 30 seconds of work to save $300

·
Registered
115 Posts
A side note: I know both the dealer and manual claims programming requires the HDS tool. But, a Lexus I own claims the same, and I was successful in programming a new key using some ignition/off/brake pedal sequence. I forgot how it was done, but it was about 1 hours of googling + 30 seconds of work to save $300
nevermind, not for the 3rd gen

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the 2016+ kits are the one with the correct and working transceiver whereas the older 2014/2015 kits had the issue and TSBs were applied to those. Anyway, I am going to just let the dealer which quoted me $530 install this tomorrow. It seems a lot of dealers do not have the white antenna in stock currently or even online and so I cant do the install myself. This dealer mentioned they will overnight one for me and so I agreed.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I think the 2016+ kits are the one with the correct and working transceiver whereas the older 2014/2015 kits had the issue and TSBs were applied to those. Anyway, I am going to just let the dealer which quoted me $530 install this tomorrow. It seems a lot of dealers do not have the white antenna in stock currently or even online and so I cant do the install myself. This dealer mentioned they will overnight one for me and so I agreed.
You are correct. The PNs are the same for the 2016 kit and the 2017 kit so, for now, we can treat it as the 2016+ kit.

FYI ALL: PN is 38015-TZ5-Z30

There is, however, a slight change in the instructions from 2016 to 2017. The 2017 actually taps into the rooftop antenna with a 2-way transceiver connector coming from the antenna, allowing the antenna to pick up the signals for the transceiver assembly. So I guess if any of you want to do the same in pre-2017s, you could probably buy a 2017 rooftop antenna (~$67).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Noted. Thanks. I will ask whether its on ebay or at a dealer to make sure they give the newer transceiver unit with part #.
You are correct. The PNs are the same for the 2016 kit and the 2017 kit so, for now, we can treat it as the 2016+ kit.

FYI ALL: PN is 38015-TZ5-Z30

There is, however, a slight change in the instructions from 2016 to 2017. The 2017 actually taps into the rooftop antenna with a 2-way transceiver connector coming from the antenna, allowing the antenna to pick up the signals for the transceiver assembly. So I guess if any of you want to do the same in pre-2017s, you could probably buy a 2017 rooftop antenna (~$67).
Thats not quite right, I think you made a typo. Here are the part #'s for anyone else who is interested in doing the same.

Remote start kit - 38015-TZ5-A30.
Antenna - 39150-TZ6-A11ZF

I just had the dealer install this today. Long story short, they claimed the person over the phone (she just happened to be out today) who gave me the price of $530 plus tax made it up and would not believe me. They kept trying to add charges claiming that they cannot do it at that price. I stood my ground and got them to do it for $530 plus tax. At the end the service manager said I got the deal of the lifetime and how I am lucky, I told him not really and to take it up with his staff if indeed they screwed up. They added the antenna from the advance model and now I'm set. Now I have a total of 4 remotes - 2 of my original ones and the new 2 remote start ones. BTW - I love the range on this remote start! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Thats not quite right, I think you made a typo. Here are the part #'s for anyone else who is interested in doing the same.

Remote start kit - 38015-TZ5-A30.
Antenna - 39150-TZ6-A11ZF

I just had the dealer install this today. Long story short, they claimed the person over the phone (she just happened to be out today) who gave me the price of $530 plus tax made it up and would not believe me. They kept trying to add charges claiming that they cannot do it at that price. I stood my ground and got them to do it for $530 plus tax. At the end the service manager said I got the deal of the lifetime and how I am lucky, I told him not really and to take it up with his staff if indeed they screwed up. They added the antenna from the advance model and now I'm set. Now I have a total of 4 remotes - 2 of my original ones and the new 2 remote start ones. BTW - I love the range on this remote start! Thanks guys.
Yep! Typo indeed. A30 not Z30. Thanks for checking that!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
jiggs1219 - did you end up needing a new antenna? I am in the same boat, I will be installing a remote start (38015-TZ5-A30) on a 2017 base, and the instructions say the antenna is sold separately. My base model has a “shark fin” antenna, so I’m trying to figure out if I need something different.

When I look up replacement antennas for the advance and base models, it is the same part number (39150-TZ6-A11ZC) - which only adds to my confusion. Can anyone provide some help?

·
Registered
1 Posts
jiggs1219 - did you end up needing a new antenna? I am in the same boat, I will be installing a remote start (38015-TZ5-A30) on a 2017 base, and the instructions say the antenna is sold separately. My base model has a “shark fin” antenna, so I’m trying to figure out if I need something different.

When I look up replacement antennas for the advance and base models, it is the same part number (39150-TZ6-A11ZC) - which only adds to my confusion. Can anyone provide some help?
hi, can you answer your question if you already installed one? I'm doing samething on my 17 MDX sh-awd base and
not sure I need new antenna.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts