Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm on my 3rd MDX, and for some reason I can't find how to keep the audio screen from not going very dark. It's not off but is in a very dark 'night' mode. I tried the day/night mode button, & the brightness adjustment using both the dash + button & the "more" setting under audio. The screen just automatically goes dark after about 30 seconds. The top screen (Nav or audio) stays in day mode, but not the bottom one.

Anyone else have this issue or am I missing something? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is the auto-dim function and it can be turned off. In the lower audio screen, press the "more" button. In the next menu is an option for adjusting the dim time or just turning it off. I know you said you did this, but this is how you do it on my '16 so maybe it is different?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Should be the same. I was looking for that setting but i couldn't remember where it was lol. I turned mine off long ago and very much like being in control of the brightness. Sometimes i do forget that at night it is bright as heck though lol.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the auto-dim function and it can be turned off. In the lower audio screen, press the "more" button. In the next menu is an option for adjusting the dim time or just turning it off. I know you said you did this, but this is how you do it on my '16 so maybe it is different?
Thank you for that suggestion, however, I tried that prior to posting - it's set to never. I took it to the dealer & the salesman didn't know why it was dimming either. It only stays bright if I press the Nav button to have the Nav on the top screen. The service writer said there may be an issue with the unit & suggested I set a time for them to check it out. I'll do that when I come to get my plates.

It may be something they changed on the 2017 advance. I'll find out when I have the service department check it out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
So this happens when you're displaying "Audio" on the upper screen, via selection the Audio button on the dash below the touch screen, correct? If so, then it's functioning as expected. Mine 17 Tech does the same.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MCDavis yes, when I have the top screen displaying audio is when the lower screen dims out. If I have the Nav on th stop screen it's bright on the lower audio screen. If that's how they changed the software, it's stupid. My 2014 MDX & 2016 RDX had bright lower screens, not sure why the system on the 2017 had to be changed.

I can't believe I'm the only one that has complained about this. The service writer never heard of this, nor had the salesman, so I'm still going to have it checked out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I see your point, but it hasn't bothered me honestly, cause it's easy to change back...just select another screen to display or turn off the upper screen.

Not arguing, just more first world problems. All about perspective.

·
Registered
84 Posts
MCDavis yes, when I have the top screen displaying audio is when the lower screen dims out. If I have the Nav on th stop screen it's bright on the lower audio screen. If that's how they changed the software, it's stupid. My 2014 MDX & 2016 RDX had bright lower screens, not sure why the system on the 2017 had to be changed.

I can't believe I'm the only one that has complained about this. The service writer never heard of this, nor had the salesman, so I'm still going to have it checked out.
If you are setting the dim time to "never" and the screen still dims, something is not right.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I thought about this more on the way in guys, and you might be right. Reason why...I'm currently in a 17 RDX Tech while the dealership tidies up some things on the wife's TSX. The lower screen does not dim when audio is on the upper screen.

However, I'm not bothered by it, and I'll likely live with it. I'm not going to make a point for a special visit to complain about that, but I will point it out on its first maintenance visit.

It reminds me about a few issues I had with my Platinum, but they were just annoyances rather than issues...like the ambient lighting moving from my selection of blue, back to the factory default of blue-green about once a month. It's all in how you perceive the issues. It's also all about how you deal with your service writer. Treat them well and they should treat you well in return.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Southside Duc & MCDavis, thank you for the additional input & glad to hear it's not change to the Audio system for 2017. I also remembered that I drove a 2017 AWD Advance home before before I took delivery of mine, & it didn't do that, so I'm having mine checked. The dealer I bought from is terrific. I have been buying Acuras from them since 1989 & their service department is fantastic. I'm sure they will fix whatever the issue is.

I'm waiting until they tell me my license plates & registration have arrived & I will make an appointment to drop it off then. I have set the dim time to "never", synced the dash brightness to the audio, set the audio to daylight, & brightness control to almost all the way up. I know it's not a setting issue. I'm sure they will fix it.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I picked up the MDX today & the dimming was said to be normal in the 2017 MDX. The tech suggested we look inside a 2017 advance (no entertainment) like mine & when we did, it acted the same. So the Honda engineers have deemed there's no reason to have both the lower & upper screen bright if they are both set to audio. It sucks because if you have a passenger that wants to change presets or tune the radio, then have to either touch the screen somewhere or press one of the buttons below the lower screen (Nav, info, phone, etc) to light up the lower screen.

I'm really surprised no one else has complained about this but me. I think it's a stupid programming change, because my 2016 RDX advance & my 2014 MDX Tech allowed the lower screen to stay bright all the time, regardless if you had audio displayed on the upper screen.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Well that's just very odd behavior indeed. Wondering if the lower screen is suffering earlier than expected screen backlight failures? :O

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah maybe! So is the the brand new 2017 on their lot!! :eek:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up the MDX today & the dimming was said to be normal in the 2017 MDX. The tech suggested we look inside a 2017 advance (no entertainment) like mine & when we did, it acted the same. So the Honda engineers have deemed there's no reason to have both the lower & upper screen bright if they are both set to audio. It sucks because if you have a passenger that wants to change presets or tune the radio, then have to either touch the screen somewhere or press one of the buttons below the lower screen (Nav, info, phone, etc) to light up the lower screen.

I'm really surprised no one else has complained about this but me. I think it's a stupid programming change, because my 2016 RDX advance & my 2014 MDX Tech allowed the lower screen to stay bright all the time, regardless if you had audio displayed on the upper screen.
You're not crazy (or if YOU are, we both are). Have had my 17 MDX base (no Tech or Adv package) for 3 days and it already bugs me. My bottom screen automatically dims when upper screen is on Audio. I've also tried changing all the settings you talked about with no luck. My issue with it is that I can't see the presets to change channels or source button to change input if it's bright outside and my sunroof shade is open. After reading thread, is the easiest workaround to hit the Audio button again?

·
Registered
288 Posts
My 17 Advance does it under those same circumstances also. It really burns me up. WHY would Acura feel the need to dim the lower display with the presets on it? When I'm driving and want to brighten the dimmed lower display, it's VERY easy to touch that screen and change something, even the station. You gotta find an area of that lower screen that doesn't have anything there, so when you touch it, it doesn't change anything. Sometimes hard to do when you're driving. How ridiculous is the programming??? That's why I usually have the upper display on the clock/calendar. It stays bright, since I have the setting for dimming "Off".

·
Registered
60 Posts
this is so petty for people to be bothered. I actually appreciate that it dims it out. no need to have 2 screens with about the same information - THAT IS annoying.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I generally don't bother replying to a post like yours, but I think it's warranted.

No, what's annoying is reading your post. I have owned a 2014 MDX & a 2016 MDX that allowed the audio to be displayed on both screens. This is very convenient if the passenger wants to quickly select a preset channel, without just pressing a blank screen (which usually changes the channel to something not wanted) just so they can see what preset to select. Obviously the Honda engineers decided that a duplicate display of info isn't needed any longer on the 2017 models because the driver can switch presets using the steering wheel control.

The reason for my post on this subject (any others) was to get information from other owners before I made a trip to the dealer. I have been a member of this forum since 2001, and have enjoyed reading it because nearly all owners are helpful and polite. Your post serves no purpose except to say I have a petty issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts