Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out how to replace the exterior door cap on my 2017 Acura MDX. I noticed videos on youtube show acura TL caps are easily snapped back on, however the elongated shape of the MDX handle it is impossible to slide on and snap on. There must be a way to pull the metal plate away from car.Anyone know how to install this?

Acura Part No.:72683-TZ5-A11 Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door Hood Auto part

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
Take it to the dealer if car still under warranty. Else this post might give a little hit. (Replacing the cover, instead of trying to pull the metal plate)

·
Registered
10 Posts
For those still looking for answers:

So my daughter opened the door ... rear driver side and the chrome trim directly adjacent to the handle broke off. At first glance nothing looked broken...but a tiny tab had indeed broken off the interior of that decorative chrome trim piece. I ordered the replacement and it came with the backing attached...a lead-like piece of metal that you can see at the door when this trim piece is removed.

To fix: There is a rubber grommet/plug located in the door jamb directly across (same height) as the handle. A 10mm socket with a short extension reaches this bolt/screw which lies within this exposed hole which had been covered with the grommet... and its sole purpose is to keep that lead-like piece of metal in place to which the chrome trim attaches. It is not possible to reattach the chrome piece to this lead-like piece of metal when it is installed...you must remove it first...which is quite easily done. Remove that screw carefully so as not to drop it inside your door panel.....and the metal backing piece comes out easily. Reattach the chrome piece....replace the metal backing unit with chrome attached.....line up the screw/bolt hole....and tighten with your 10mm. I didn't bother using the new lead-like backing piece that came with the new trim piece as this was not my problem...I just used the original and thus now have a completely useless additional part lol.

That is all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.