Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my MDX serviced. The dealer gave me a 2017 TLX. This 9 speed transmission is smoother and more refined than my 2016 9 speed. What the heck did they do to it?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Better Software Tune... It was always Acura fault for implementing a bad software to the trans that caused the whole issue..

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
It was one of the major complaints about the TLX, so they had to address it. I'm curious if it was more than just a software fix though, as Azine guys were more then a bit peeved when their reprogrammings and even total replacements did not improve their TLX zf9s.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
My 2017 MDX 9sp feels smooth, but I am not sure how does it compare with the TLX as my dealer never loans out cars like TLX, MDX nor RDX.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I guess SUV and sedan have different weight, chassis, and software for ECU and transmission. Same thing with my Lexus GS 350 and RX 350 both are having 8 speed but it is day and night shifting transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We just picked up a new/of the truck/two-week-old/2 miles on the odo 2017 MDX SH-AWD Tech yesterday that is replacing our 2008 Mazda CX-9 GT that we had for 150k problem free miles and the 9 speed in the MDX works flawlessly. I quite like it. Let's see what develops

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im not sure if i can say the same, I have a 2017 MDX tech awd with 400miles , today i am experiencing transmission problem. While shifting into reverse the car bangs into gear like your getting hit. Im not sure if its a software update or a problem with the transmission. On Tuesday its going back to the dealer for a inspection. mostly get a transmission replaced on my brand new mdx.

I previously owned a 2015 TLX with the Dual clutch transmission, when i first got that omg it was so bad until they did a software update and it ran smoothly after that. Way better transmission then the 9speed build by ZF

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im not sure if i can say the same, I have a 2017 MDX tech awd with 400miles , today i am experiencing transmission problem. While shifting into reverse the car bangs into gear like your getting hit. Im not sure if its a software update or a problem with the transmission. On Tuesday its going back to the dealer for a inspection. mostly get a transmission replaced on my brand new mdx.

I previously owned a 2015 TLX with the Dual clutch transmission, when i first got that omg it was so bad until they did a software update and it ran smoothly after that. Way better transmission then the 9speed build by ZF
My shifts to reverse are smooth. But if I am driving slowly, the shift from 1st to 2nd or may be it is from 2nd to 3rd can be quite harsh. It really bangs in hard! Only happens once in a while. I have lots of warranty left so not a concern at all. The 2017 TLX 9 speed I had as a loaner did not exhibit any of this behavior.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I haven't seen that many issues on mine 17 tech it only has 400 miles.
What do you guys mean that it bangs in reverse ... Is it like a loud noise .

·
Registered
1 Posts
My brand new 2017 MDX bought 12/13 has been at the dealer since 12/19 with only about 220 miles on it. Was experiencing the same bang like feeling when switching into reverse as well as multiple other things like the car jerking while driving, almost no acceleration at all, feeling of it switching into neutral while driving at a constant speed and more. So far they have no answer for me, other than a leak in transmission was found and the problem can't be fixed at the dealer. Said it was an issue that came from the factory and was missed on inspection. Having nothing but trouble with this particular dealership. Finally decided to get a lawyer involved.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've owned a 2016 Tech for a year now.

I've put about 20000 miles on it so far. Various driving, city to long road trips.

I had poor shifting until I got the software upgrade. Now it's fine.

I think people don't understand the many gears it has to go through at various speeds. They're used to four or five speed transmissions. I think this is most of the problem. The software is designed to get fuel economy when driving mellow along with shutting down the cylinders. Or it performs like the expensive German cars when you want to use sport with sequential mode. Look up 0-60 times on these cars. It can keep up with many expensive cars on the market.

One also needs to research the ZF9 transmission and understand how it's works.

The other thing is what IDS mode do they use to drive. Sport shifts way more abruptly than normal. It also shifts way differently than when it's in sequential mode too (higher rev shift point).

Also, I've been running 87 octane gas since it's left the dealer. No problems and it will never have any problems either. That's what the car's computer will take car of by changing the timing. People will disagree with me on this. The manual says recommend NOT required.

MDXer17, may well have a problem. Do you get a bang when shifting from park to reverse on an incline or on a flat surface?

Every car I've owned, has to get out of that parking prawl. That will cause a bang for sure. Did you get the software update?

Just some suggestions.

BTW, this is the first "high performance" car I've owned. It's THE best bang for the buck in the market period.

Everyone tries to compare this to Volvo, BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. It's not comparable at all.

Sure Acura/Honda could build a better car for more than $10000 minimal than all of the other brands. So they should be "better".

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
^ Keep in mind that the 17 has no software update.

Sport mode on IDS should not be shifting abruptly. Mine is butter smooth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts