Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 2011 MDX and a buddy works at Acura is selling me their dealer take off 2017 MDX 20" factory wheels with 245/50/20 tires and the offset is 20x8 55. My question will be, will this fit and if not what is needed to install these wheels on my 2011? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Stock offset for 2011 is 45mm, so the centerline of the 2017 wheels ( 55 mm offset ) will be 10mm closer to the centerline of the vehicle. But the 2017 wheels and tires are slightly narrower, and tire will only be "pulled in" 5 mm, so there probably won't be any clearance issues ( like tires rubbing on suspension components ). There is always some risk to wheel bearings when mismatching offset, but this is a small difference and probably fine. To get the wheels to be an exact match for offset, you could install 10mm spacers, but there can be issues with getting the wheels exactly centered when you use spacers ( causing vibration ) and I don't think I would bother.

Both 2011 and 2017 use 5 x 120mm bolt pattern, so that's good.

There is an issue with overall tire diameter with the 245/50R20 tires. Their overall diameter is about 30" vs 29" for the stock 255/55/R18 tires. So there will be a small speedometer error. The speedo will read two percent low.

There are several online calculators that can be used to assess these fit issues. Here is one: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, a buddy of mine from DSRLeasing wanted to do same thing, but as he realized that tire diameter is different after all he didn't want to go through all this hassle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock offset for 2011 is 45mm, so the centerline of the 2017 wheels ( 55 mm offset ) will be 10mm closer to the centerline of the vehicle. But the 2017 wheels and tires are slightly narrower, and tire will only be "pulled in" 5 mm, so there probably won't be any clearance issues ( like tires rubbing on suspension components ). There is always some risk to wheel bearings when mismatching offset, but this is a small difference and probably fine. To get the wheels to be an exact match for offset, you could install 10mm spacers, but there can be issues with getting the wheels exactly centered when you use spacers ( causing vibration ) and I don't think I would bother.

Both 2011 and 2017 use 5 x 120mm bolt pattern, so that's good.

There is an issue with overall tire diameter with the 245/50R20 tires. Their overall diameter is about 30" vs 29" for the stock 255/55/R18 tires. So there will be a small speedometer error. The speedo will read two percent low.

There are several online calculators that can be used to assess these fit issues. Here is one: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
Can I do like 15mm or a 20mm spacer? I like it where it's more flush with the fenders. Will I cause any rubbing? Thank you @Wanderlust for the detailed explanation! Would you happen to know the hub center bore sizes for front and back of our MDX?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Can I do like 15mm or a 20mm spacer? I like it where it's more flush with the fenders. Will I cause any rubbing? Thank you @Wanderlust for the detailed explanation! Would you happen to know the hub center bore sizes for front and back of our MDX?
I think center bore is 64.1 mm for all MDXs.

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/acura/mdx/2011/

Dunno on rubbing, try the calculator. I run snow tires on my whole family fleet of MDXs, and some of the winter wheels have a lower offset than stock, just cuz that's how the cheap ones came. I think they are around 33mm and stock is 45. No rubbing. But no 2nd-gen MDXs in the fleet, just 1st and 3rd gen. If the wheels and tires will be used in the winter, it's good to have some room around the tires for frozen slush. Northerners know what I'm talking about, and desert dwellers probably don't have a clue. Same for mud if you ever leave the pavement. Style sometimes interferes with function.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts