Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

121 - 140 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
I personally haven't seen any 2018s report in yet. It's mostly 2016 owners. We're the guinea pigs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thank God for you guys and all the info! I was able to demonstrate the transmission chirp by slowing down to 20mph and then accelerating again. The service technician was able to hear the chirp and now my MDX is at the dealer getting a new transmission put in. I hope the issues will be gone once I get my MDX back. They did give me a 2018 MDX as a loaner...so I can't complain.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thank God for you guys and all the info! I was able to demonstrate the transmission chirp by slowing down to 20mph and then accelerating again. The service technician was able to hear the chirp and now my MDX is at the dealer getting a new transmission put in. I hope the issues will be gone once I get my MDX back. They did give me a 2018 MDX as a loaner...so I can't complain.
Did you receive a letter about potentially having a defective warmer? Or were you able to get the transmission replaced simply because they could replicate the chirp?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Excellent news! Glad that you could get it fixed. I'm going back to try and do it again for them on Friday.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
I think you guys have your own tsbs but i can't remember which one this one is in Canada.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So...first week of driving with the new transmission and it's been great. I got used to the hard and inconsistent shifts and didn't realize how bad it was. The drive feels so much better and acceleration feels so much smoother.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Hopefully this is the last of the ZF9 issues!

As mentioned in my other post, tech brought up a good point that I should just wait and get a replacement transmission later in the life of the vehicle since my sound is still not consistently reproduced, despite having videos.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I just got an update from the SA: my MDX has no signs of cross-contamination, and the warmer tested OK. And they think they need to keep the car for a few more days and replace the transmission??!!?!?!? The only issue was chirping. I can't help but think that there is something else going on here.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I did receive the letter stating that my warranty was extended for 10 years unlimited miles. However, I took it to the dealer and the tech replaced it based on the chirping noise only. The only symptom for me was the chirping noise.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I can certainly understand replacing any warmer from the defective production run, but barring ATF contamination why would they replace the transmission? What is the cause of the chirping if not that? There is something that we don't know, which further calls into question the ZF 9-speed. I hope an explanation is forthcoming, but on form I doubt it.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Hmm yeah especially if you passed all those tests but still got the chirp.. this happened on the pilot forums too. Nobody knows why.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Especially if the "chirp" is limited to 2016's and a few 2017's. If the "chirp" isn't present in 2018's or 2019's for the MDX and was also no longer present in the Pilot that would indicate they changed something in the production of subsequent transmissions that addressed the issue.

If 2018 or 2019 MDX or Pilot also experience the "chirp", even if they haven't had transmissions replaced would be cause for concern.

·
Registered
535 Posts
They gave me a loaner 2015 TLX - complete with ZF 9-speed. Guess what: it chirps! This seems to include all of the early Acura 9-speeds. What a mess...

·
Registered
543 Posts
They gave me a loaner 2015 TLX - complete with ZF 9-speed. Guess what: it chirps! This seems to include all of the early Acura 9-speeds. What a mess...
I know the 2015 and possibly 2016 TLX had some transmission issues and many required transmission replacements. To your point this in conjunction with the "chirp" necessitating transmission replacement even for vehicles not impacted by the defective warmer would seem to indicate there were some defects with first ZF 9 speed transmissions in the TLX, MDX and Honda Pilot.

The question is whether subsequent generations of the ZF 9 speed addressed this problem and thus eliminated the "chirp" in late 2017, 2018 and 2019 models (regardless of warmer). If not then projected reliability for those model years wouldn't be much better than the 2016.

At this point however no one has indicated they have a 2018 or 2019 that has this "chirp" which hopefully means ZF fixed this defect for current model years.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I just got the 2016 MDX back. To recap, I had the chirp sound (frequently and repeatably) but no cross-contamination. Some coolant was lost for no clear reason. The warmer passed the leak test. I turned it over to the SA to have him pursue it, referencing the TSB. I applied no pressure whatsoever and did not ask for a transmission replacement - I just left it with him. And Acura approved a transmission replacement. My conclusion is that this was not an issue with the warmer, but with the transmission instead. It must be something that Acura knows about or they would not be so quick to swap the transmission at about $6k (the actual parts kit alone is about $4.5k and is specifically a warranty replacement kit). I have only driven the car for about 10 miles but as of now it is quiet and smooth. Needless to say I am very pleased with the outcome, and feel Acura and the dealer have done the right thing by me. My only reservation is that the cause of the problem is still a well-kept secret. Also, I had planned on keeping the MDX for an extended time, and have invested in many improvements, but I may reconsider after the next gen comes out with a Honda 10-speed if there is the slightest issue with the transmission again.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Good outcome! I'm where you were, but nobody wants to do the replacement for an intermittent sound. So, I'll just have to keep driving it and then before the 6 year mark comes up, I'll have to really push hard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Concerning the ATF warmers, why would there be what appears to be a mid-production year range of defective warmers? It seems the problem would have been introduced at the start.

121 - 140 of 170 Posts