Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 MDX AWD with Tech:

I had my transmission replaced about a month ago, due to the hard shift with "squeak" when gear shifts at around 25mph. It was great for about a month..no issues.

About a week ago, I started noticing that the shift around 35mph is harsh. I thought it was just a random issue. However, now its noticeable and can be recreated easily. It's almost like the shift slips and then shifts hard in to gear. It happens between 30-40MPH.

Anyone else have this issue? I don't want them to replace my transmission again!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I don't want them to replace my transmission again!
I guess I don't understand your position...

1. Live with it.
  2. Let them fix it.
  3. Trade it in.
Pick one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I also had my 2016 tranny replaced. I admit when the new one went in, some shifts were a little rough, but mine has not had an issue since the first couple drives.

I would have them look at it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it to the dealer. The tech "re-programmed" the transmission software and said that this is "normal behavior". Hmm....no its not. I can definitely feel the shift between 25-35 mph is not normal. Its almost like a stalling feeling.

I'm going to drive it for a few more weeks and see if it goes away.

BTW, I was talking to a sales person at the dealer and he was telling me about how 2020 MDX will be having the same interior hardware as the new RDX. Maybe I'll trade it in once it comes out.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Luckily they will come with the new Honda 10-Speed instead of the nightmare that is the German Transmission.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Luckily they will come with the new Honda 10-Speed instead of the nightmare that is the German Transmission.
Be careful what you wish for, plenty of RDX owners are complaining about the shift smoothness in the 10 speed as well, just like the 9 speed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
551 Posts
My only complaint with the 9 speed is the hesitation from a dead stop. Otherwise its smooth and the shifts are nearly seamless.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I dont mind "Not smooth shifting" over the jerk nightmare that the 9 Speed is.
I never knew or used a "Smooth Shifting Honda Transmission" only slow ass Hondamatics.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I took it to the dealer. The tech "re-programmed" the transmission software and said that this is "normal behavior". Hmm....no its not. I can definitely feel the shift between 25-35 mph is not normal. Its almost like a stalling feeling.

I'm going to drive it for a few more weeks and see if it goes away.

BTW, I was talking to a sales person at the dealer and he was telling me about how 2020 MDX will be having the same interior hardware as the new RDX. Maybe I'll trade it in once it comes out.
My dealer also reported that he's heard from multiple sources in Acura corporate that they plan on redesigning the MDX for next year (model year 2020). Although it's almost November and still not a single spy shot has leaked.

So either they're not doing road testing; they are and are just keeping it really under wraps by not testing at the track; or the redesign won't be for another year.

For sure we'll know by the Detroit auto show in January as that is where the officially introduce new models. If that's their plan they'll likely "tease" an image that something big is coming in advance of the show in late December.

·
Registered
577 Posts
As one who has had his 2016 transmission replaced - with no sign of a warmer failure - it is hard to not conclude that there were real problems from the beginning. Acura has been very good at replacing faulty transmissions but not at all forthcoming on what the causes are. Do the new transmissions have hardware tweaks that weren't in the original? Have they changed the software in some way to improve things? We are all left guessing, although perhaps it is not necessary to know. For now my transmission is running very smooth and quiet, and as long as it continues this way I will remain a happy camper. If not I may wait and trade for a 2020, although I consider it risky to buy the first year of a new model. I am not familiar with the 10-speed design, but if it includes dog clutches it may also be less than perfectly smooth shifting. (Dog clutches require aligning both "gears" before engagement, which can result in delays or harsh shifting.)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yeah as soon as I saw the transmission "refinements" announced for the 19 Pilot and mdx I was curious if there were design/hardware changes or just updated software and I wasn't able to find anything. I will say the 19 Advance I drove today was very smooth both in terms of the shifts and the active damper suspension

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Even after the "re learning" process was done by the tech, it still clunks in to the 4th gear. Other gears seems to be OK and it a lot more obvious before completely warming up. The morning drives are so distracting because I'm always paying attention to the 4th gear. I believe this was also the same gear the "squeak" was happening, the original reason for the trani replacement.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Even after the "re learning" process was done by the tech, it still clunks in to the 4th gear. Other gears seems to be OK and it a lot more obvious before completely warming up. The morning drives are so distracting because I'm always paying attention to the 4th gear. I believe this was also the same gear the "squeak" was happening, the original reason for the trani replacement.
The clunk is usually from 4 to 5. Do you have the 5000lb tow package installed by any chance?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts