Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I drive on freeways for about 20 minutes, my 2016 MDX that is four years old shows "transmission system problem", I can still drive. After you turn off the car and turn it on again, the problem disappear. I don't drive freeways often, and the problem first occurred a year ago. I went to my dealer to check the car two weeks ago. After about four hour's inspection, they found an "A/T DTC-P2638" error, and suggested me to replace the "HYDRAULIC CONTROL UNIT" which costs about $1,800. I was laid off five months ago, and have no income now. It is too expensive for me, and I don't understand completely why this unit could cause "transmission system problem. I paid $196 inspection fee and left. Today I drove on the freeway, and the problem happened again. I pulled over my, turned off the engine, then turned it on and kept driving about 10 minutes, a new error "transmission temperature too hot" showed up. I stopped immediately for about 20 minutes, then the error disappeared. I drove for about 20 minutes, then stopped about 20 minutes until I got home. Now I know I can only drive my car in the city. Should I pay $1,800 to replace the "HYDRAULIC CONTROL UNIT"? Thank you!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am assuming you just missed under the 6/70,000 powertrain warranty? If so, I'd get a second opinion since their fix was a "suggestion". Probably obvious, but I have found a big difference in price/expertise in my area when shopping fixes in my area. Could save you hundreds. Best of luck; hope it's something minor.

·
Registered
286 Posts
How many miles do you have on your MDX? If you are within the 70k miles, Acura will have to warranty it. If not, you are paying out of pocket. I hope you are within the 70k miles warranty limit so that it would be free for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts