Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Advance
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
A question to you guys if anyone has experience with this: if the car's been driven with bad shifting for years due to a software issue, would it damage the tranny?

·
Registered
2019 advance red pearl parchment
136 Posts
A question to you guys if anyone has experience with this: if the car's been driven with bad shifting for years due to a software issue, would it damage the tranny?
That’s a great question. I would think if you were the first to do a 3.5 quart drain and fill .You might get the answer.From what i hear some of the earlier models had some violent shifts.That certainly can’t be a good thing

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
That’s a great question. I would think if you were the first to do a 3.5 quart drain and fill .You might get the answer.From what i hear some of the earlier models had some violent shifts.That certainly can’t be a good thing
Not just the early ones, mine's a '19 and these issues should have been well-sorted by this point.. Before the latest TSB, mine would occasionally shift so violently, the car would lurch like someone poked the brakes hard momentarily. You could both HEAR and FEEL it when it happened.

A lot of folks have had no issues and mine is pretty well behaved now, but I have no long-term faith in it. Personally, I would never buy an MDX equipped with the ZF9, unless it had a clear service history with no reports of transmission-related issues.

·
Registered
2019 advance red pearl parchment
136 Posts
Not just the early ones, mine's a '19 and these issues should have been well-sorted by this point.. Before the latest TSB, mine would occasionally shift so violently, the car would lurch like someone poked the brakes hard momentarily. You could both HEAR and FEEL it when it happened.

A lot of folks have had no issues and mine is pretty well behaved now, but I have no long-term faith in it. Personally, I would never buy an MDX equipped with the ZF9, unless it had a clear service history with no reports of transmission-related issues.
I bought mine with 6k miles on it.For all I know it could have been a bucking bronco in its early life.As it stands from the day i got it and until now it works just fine.For good measure and out of curiosity i did a drain and fill and the fluid was free of any debris and in really good shape There are a few of these MDX’s out there with some fairly high mileage on them.Personally i have some degree of confidence that my transmission has a good a chance as any to survive for quite a while

21 - 24 of 24 Posts