Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Advance
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Recently got a 2016 advance with 46k on it.

I've been reading about the 2016 having issues particularly the tranny, and i found out post purchase... . got what looked like a good deal.

The dealer report on car history shows an open campaign for the tranny warmer.

I've been reading about tranny software updates. are these issue specific / fixes, or is it like a computer software: just the new and better updated version?

How do you test if you indeed have an issue, coz I'm not certain. I press the pedal, one an upward slope from stop, and it shudders, as if picking up in 2nd or 3rd gear. it happens even in sport mode. I'm uncertain if it does if I have it in S on the shifter.

Sometimes it feels too loose, as if it didn't downshift... But I'm all too uncertain.

How does one test this to know for real?

Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
431 Posts
First, try tranny reset. you should be able find it on YouTube.
I recently purchased a 16 Adv as well, it runs perfect. Since you already purchased it, I would say get the tranny warmer recall performed and if you are lucky they may also replace tranny fluid. They may also apply the latest tranny software update. My mdx had tranny fluid replaced once at 25k and another at 50k, now I am at 64k and no such issues like what you are experiencing.
Hopefully, Tranny fluid and software update should fix tje issue.

·
Registered
2016 Advance
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, try tranny reset. you should be able find it on YouTube.
I recently purchased a 16 Adv as well, it runs perfect. Since you already purchased it, I would say get the tranny warmer recall performed and if you are lucky they may also replace tranny fluid. They may also apply the latest tranny software update. My mdx had tranny fluid replaced once at 25k and another at 50k, now I am at 64k and no such issues like what you are experiencing.
Hopefully, Tranny fluid and software update should fix tje issue.
I did the reset when i bought it, and factory reset the electronics.

Is the warmer on recall or on tsb and only replaced if there's an issue?

I spoke to SM at dealer last week and he says they replce the warmer only if its problematic. im thinking but i don't want a reman tranny, better change warmer before it damages tranny no?

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech
136 Posts
The warmer is probably only used when the transmission fluid is below a certain temperature. On my Tundra, it’s probably something less than 40 degrees and it just locks out the highest gear until the fluid is up to temperature, which the heater helps facilitate. I’d be surprised if any damage was being done other than perhaps to fuel economy for a couple miles on cold days.

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
431 Posts

I spoke to SM at dealer last week and he says they replce the warmer only if its problematic. im thinking but i don't want a reman tranny, better change warmer before it damages tranny no?
Based on what you are saying, your tranny is not working normal. I believe it's recall, need to double check but only if the date on the warmer is prior to some 2017 date, I believe.

·
Registered
2019 advance red pearl parchment
136 Posts

Once you reset the tranny it’ll take a little while to fall into place.Give it a few miles preferably one driver .Although not perfect these trannys can shift correct

·
Registered
136 Posts
Is there anyone that actually got more than 70k miles out of azf9 .Or should I start considering getting rid of this car soon. I really like the car a lot.But I’m starting to think maybe these trannys are as bad as the Nissan cvt’s .My car is running great right now but I only have 11k miles on it I haven’t heard anyone say I got 150k miles on my 17 mdx and still going strong no transmission problems at all

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech
136 Posts
Is there anyone that actually got more than 70k miles out of azf9 .Or should I start considering getting rid of this car soon. I really like the car a lot.But I’m starting to think maybe these trannys are as bad as the Nissan cvt’s .My car is running great right now but I only have 11k miles on it I haven’t heard anyone say I got 150k miles on my 17 mdx and still going strong no transmission problems at all
I did a quick nationwide search on CarGuru for ‘16-‘20 MDXs for sale (all trims). There’s about 3520 for sale. Only 4 of them have over 150k miles, with the highest mileage about 176k miles. Not sure if that’s any help. I’m thinking that these MDXs with the ZF9 transmission are about 6 years old at most. So there just aren’t many that have 25k miles a year being put on them. Looking at just MY ‘16, there’s 384 for sale and 69 (18%) of them have over 100k miles.

Maybe check out carcomplaints.com. They do ok with reporting consumer complaints with various aspects on a per MY basis. They report the ‘16 MDX as one of the highest four models of Acuras with complaints and transmission/drivetrain compliments are far and away above all other complaints for that MY. Here a link to that site comparing the different MY of MDXs to each other in terms of number of complaints. Greatest number of complaints is MY 2014 and the most common complaint is transmission related. Tranny concerns on the MY ‘17 is less than half of MY ‘16 and drops to only one tranny complaint for MY ‘18. Some of that might be due to fewer miles on the newer models, although I suspect most of it is due to design issues being addressed.

CarComplaints.com

·
Registered
136 Posts
I did a quick nationwide search on CarGuru for ‘16-‘20 MDXs for sale (all trims). There’s about 3520 for sale. Only 4 of them have over 150k miles, with the highest mileage about 176k miles. Not sure if that’s any help. I’m thinking that these MDXs with the ZF9 transmission are about 6 years old at most. So there just aren’t many that have 25k miles a year being put on them. Looking at just MY ‘16, there’s 384 for sale and 69 (18%) of them have over 100k miles.

Maybe check out carcomplaints.com. They do ok with reporting consumer complaints with various aspects on a per MY basis. They report the ‘16 MDX as one of the highest four models of Acuras with complaints and transmission/drivetrain compliments are far and away above all other complaints for that MY. Here a link to that site comparing the different MY of MDXs to each other in terms of number of complaints. Greatest number of complaints is MY 2014 and the most common complaint is transmission related. Tranny concerns on the MY ‘17 is less than half of MY ‘16 and drops to only one tranny complaint for MY ‘18. Some of that might be due to fewer miles on the newer models, although I suspect most of it is due to design issues being addressed.

CarComplaints.com
Thanks for the reply. I think with proper service I can get some miles out of my car

·
Registered
2016 Advance
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone know what 'pcm/ecm reset, and idle relearn' mean?

That's written under the tranny repair part on my bill.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Does anyone know what 'pcm/ecm reset, and idle relearn' mean?

That's written under the tranny repair part on my bill.
Basically clearing codes Maybe when performing the repairs the battery could have been disconnected for a while.

·
Registered
2016 Advance
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Basically clearing codes Maybe when performing the repairs the battery could have been disconnected for a while.
Sorry i realize i should've written more info.

I had been reporting shifting issues. So while they replaced the side mirror today, this line was written under tranny repairs.

Not certain how this reset is related to the tranny issues..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry i realize i should've written more info.

I had been reporting shifting issues. So while they replaced the side mirror today, this line was written under tranny repairs.

Not certain how this reset is related to the tranny issues..
Maybe they reset the transmission back to factory default .So that now the transmission will start to learn your driving style all over again

·
Registered
2016 Advance
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe they reset the transmission back to factory default .So that now the transmission will start to learn your driving style all over again
I had told them when i bought it that i performed the previous driver's memory reset for driving habits.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had told them when i bought it that i performed the previous driver's memory reset for driving habits.
The ecm shares information with the pcm and tcm so resets might solve shifting problems..Does it shift better now

·
Registered
136 Posts
Engine control module. Powertrain control module transmission control module.Constantly communication between systems Nothing like the old 69 caddy’s i used to own .Ah the good old days

·
Registered
2016 Advance
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The ecm shares information with the pcm and tcm so resets might solve shifting problems..Does it shift better now
I'll have to drive it and find out. It feels slightly different. Need to drive more in certain context to tell.

·
Registered
2016 Advance
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Engine control module. Powertrain control module transmission control module.Constantly communication between systems Nothing like the old 69 caddy’s i used to own .Ah the good old days
I'm with you. And I don't like cars taking over how to drive.... i think self driven cars for instance should only be allowed for the handicapped.

I checked with the SM, he says 'idle re-learn' is a software update.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts