Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished insalling an OEM stainless steel rear bumper protector on my 2016 MDX. If I would have known how fragile this bumper was I would have purchased it with the car, but after a few nicks and scratches I decided get it. I found the installation to be more difficult than just pasting this thing on. It requires drillng four 10mm holes in the bumper and then attaching fasteners underneath the bumper. I found it hard to squeeze my large hand in the small space under the bumper to install the four fasteners. I recommend putting a piece of cardboard over the gap between the vinyl bumper and the metal support to catch the fastener if dropped. Otherwise it will fall between the gap and be almost impossible to retrieve. Attached pictures show the drilled bumper and fastener diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
i installed on my car and drilled and doublesided tape. as for my friend he don't want drill and he just want 3m tape and holding perfectly fine. just FYI

·
Registered
357 Posts
this is rather an unfortunate design. Damaging bumper to protect it? I would've just used a strong double sided tape only.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Double sided tape will hold just fine...
Had to remove door molding from TL witch was attached with 3m tape... That sucker was did not want to move :)
Make sure to wipe bumper with alcohol before taping it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hearing that just using the 3m tape works fine makes me wonder if the Acura mechanics aren't just doing that also. The posted labor time is only .2 for installation. I doubt they can align and drill holes in less than 15 minutes.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hearing that just using the 3m tape works fine makes me wonder if the Acura mechanics aren't just doing that also. The posted labor time is only .2 for installation. I doubt they can align and drill holes in less than 15 minutes.
The bodyside moldings use a very thin and super strong 3M tape. I saw a bodyshop having hell of a time removing those. I bet it would've worked great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It comes with tape installed around the perimeter of the piece. You just peel the cover off and press it on the bumper. The instructions suggest the following:
• This rear bumper protector kit should be installed only if the ambient air temperature is 15°C (60°F) or above.
• To allow the adhesive to cure, do not wash the vehicle for 24 hours. Please advise the client.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If I would have known how fragile this bumper was I would have purchased it with the car, but after a few nicks and scratches I decided get it.
Yes, amazingly fragile as far as nicks and scratches go.

I bought a 2014 with 10K miles on earlier this year. After just a few days of hoisting Golden Retrievers in and out of the back, the rear bumper was beat up with scratches.

When I had a bunch of TSB work done, I had the rear bumper protector installed as well. I wish it covered more of the bumper, but at least the scratches and nicks don't catch your eye now when looking at the back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts